Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

*imagine* If you had all the power in the world to fix one world problem.. Watch

• View Poll Results: What would you fix?
    Poverty
    19.35%
    The world economy
    6.45%
    LGBT rights
    0%
    War
    3.23%
    Child Abuse
    3.23%
    Population control
    6.45%
    Education
    22.58%
    The Environment
    0%
    Global warming
    3.23%
    Sustainability
    16.13%
    Disease/Illness
    16.13%
    Privacy
    0%
    I dont care, I'm evil
    3.23%

ReputationRep:
    If you could only fix one, what would it be?

ReputationRep:
    Invent earphones that don't get tangled up every time you put them in your pocket

ReputationRep:
    No refractory period.

though that itself may lead to a world problem :bandit:

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I would fix the problem that is having the power to only fix one problem... yeh.

ReputationRep:
    The lack of power I'd have in the future.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Solve education the rest will solve itself, due to all the clever people around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolRunner)
    bump
    Poverty, because a number of problems like child abuse, population issues, education, disease etc would be mostly indirectly helped/solved to a degree because of poverty issues being fixed.

ReputationRep:
    another bump

ReputationRep:
    It has to be education!

If everyone was educated.... and I mean really educated, thinking independently and not just indoctrinated into following orders so they can become a hard-working, obedient slave to a broken/corrupt system, then everyone would easily be able to understand what a mess we're in and we could finally work together to fix all those other problems - because we could potentially fix them all quite easily to be honest. The information is out there, the technology is out there, the resources are out there - all it needs is for people to be able to recognise the truth amongst all the bull**** and to do that, people need to be able to think clearly (well they would know how to be healthy, exercise their brains so that's not a problem) and think independently.

Some examples:
    - Healthcare costs / amount of diseases would go way down because people would actually know how to look after their bodies instead of stuffing their faces with meat/dairy/grains/general processed junk because they don't know any better.
    - People would be intelligent enough to collectively refuse to join the military so there would be no wars.
    - There would be no need for population control because people would restrict themselves to fewer kids.
    - People would invest their time and money in sustainable technologies for obvious reasons.
    - There would be no corruption/greed/inequality, etc. because people would do things for the greater good, they would realise that they would rather live in a fair world than be competing in a dog-eat-dog world and they would work towards that.

Am I right? Can anyone think of a counterargument to this?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    To have no more problems in the world no matter what they are

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mindgames7)
    It has to be education!

If everyone was educated.... and I mean really educated, thinking independently and not just indoctrinated into following orders so they can become a hard-working, obedient slave to a broken/corrupt system, then everyone would easily be able to understand what a mess we're in and we could finally work together to fix all those other problems - because we could potentially fix them all quite easily to be honest. The information is out there, the technology is out there, the resources are out there - all it needs is for people to be able to recognise the truth amongst all the bull**** and to do that, people need to be able to think clearly (well they would know how to be healthy, exercise their brains so that's not a problem) and think independently.

Some examples:
    - Healthcare costs / amount of diseases would go way down because people would actually know how to look after their bodies instead of stuffing their faces with meat/dairy/grains/general processed junk because they don't know any better.
    - People would be intelligent enough to collectively refuse to join the military so there would be no wars.
    - There would be no need for population control because people would restrict themselves to fewer kids.
    - People would invest their time and money in sustainable technologies for obvious reasons.
    - There would be no corruption/greed/inequality, etc. because people would do things for the greater good, they would realise that they would rather live in a fair world than be competing in a dog-eat-dog world and they would work towards that.

Am I right? Can anyone think of a counterargument to this?
    This reminds me of the quote "What if the cure for Cancer what trapped in the mind of somebody who cannot afford an education?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    To have no more problems in the world no matter what they are

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interesting,i think a world without problems is a pure fiction
    But i think that education can solve so many problems as far !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.