Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, wanting some advice.. I live a 40 minute drive away from the Sheffield or I would have to take a 20 min train then a 10 min bus to get to Collegiate Campus so commuting is an option. I just don't want to feel like I was missing out on the experience of Uni. I do have a boyfriend (who I have been with 5 years) at home as well and I doubt he would find living at university a good idea because it is in commuting distance and spending unnecessary money. What are you guys thoughts? Will I miss out if I commute or find it hard to be accepted from other friend groups? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Defiantly live in halls. I have a few people on my course who commute and they said they wish they'd chosen halls. You meet so many more people in halls, and when everyone goes out its easier to get ready and you have some where to stay. Everything you need is in Sheffield then I don't think you'll find it hard to be accepted because everyone is in the same position, however I think you'll have a better chance of meeting people and making more friends in halls. Plus 9am starts will be a killer if you have to travel 40 mins before you get there. I live 5 mins away from City Campus and I have to say I love getting up at half 8 for a 9am lecture.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I found myself in the same position as you a few years ago! I started a course at Brighton but wasn't able to live in halls because they gave priority to those who didn't already live locally and that made me feel like I was missing out on stuff. I didn't end up settling in well and left within a couple of weeks. But just because that happened to me it doesn't mean it's gunna happen to you as well! They do say halls is a massive part of Uni and tbh it's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most about starting in September...if you're worried about missing out then I reckon you should just go for it because you only live once! But I know what you mean about living within commuting distance. Totally sympathise with your position - it's a tricky one!

ReputationRep:
    Its so hard, I know I would choose to live away if I was single and if the maintenance loan covered me. I know being in a relationship shouldn't stop me from living my life but its hard to leave my boyfriend behind. I will be doing Nursing and this involves placements which will include working nights so living in halls might be a bit loud? Id love love LOVE to do the whole student experience theres just so many barriers and the cost is just silly.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I know what you mean, the money side of things is pretty ridiculous when it comes to living in halls! Thing is though, if you stayed at home during your first year and ended up feeling like you were missing out, you could always just move out from your second year onwards instead maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I was thinking! Im pretty sociable so not worried about that, its more to do with the fact others may made friend groups. I don't want to be left out :/ Ive been speaking to someone who commutes to Sheffield and she said they do a commuters day where everyone who commutes meets up and that's how she made her best friend lol. So I thought that was pretty good! She said she also slept over on people sofas in her first year on nights out or just got the last train home. Its the initial first meeting with people, hoping you make friends, I am sure I will figure it out

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that sounds awesome! That commuters day thing is a good idea - get involved in stuff like that and I'm sure things will be absolutely fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samwatts1988)
    Ahh that sounds awesome! That commuters day thing is a good idea - get involved in stuff like that and I'm sure things will be absolutely fine
    Yup! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    As someone's already said, you can always stay with a friend overnight if you'd like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vian)
    As someone's already said, you can always stay with a friend overnight if you'd like!
    Yeah! depends on the person and the group they are living with too if they like people to stay :/ and some people might be funny if they can trust you in their accommodation etc.. especially on fresher's week as not knowing each other very long. I know there is some idots about who don't respect peoples belongings etc. But hopefully someone will trust me to stay and we can have a good night! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by njhutchinson1993)
    Yeah! depends on the person and the group they are living with too if they like people to stay :/ and some people might be funny if they can trust you in their accommodation etc.. especially on fresher's week as not knowing each other very long. I know there is some idots about who don't respect peoples belongings etc. But hopefully someone will trust me to stay and we can have a good night! lol
    I'm going to be living in accommodation, as I live slightly further away and want the independence and freedom of living in halls.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, wanting some advice.. I live a 40 minute drive away from the Sheffield or I would have to take a 20 min train then a 10 min bus to get to Collegiate Campus so commuting is an option. I just don't want to feel like I was missing out on the experience of Uni. I do have a boyfriend (who I have been with 5 years) at home as well and I doubt he would find living at university a good idea because it is in commuting distance and spending unnecessary money. What are you guys thoughts? Will I miss out if I commute or find it hard to be accepted from other friend groups? :confused:
    Your first year is by far the most social.
    I lived with 2 friends who were doing nursing. And as u say there is a lot of placement and a lot of shift work. Have u thought about how you would get to placement if you were based at Barnsley? Rotherham? And needed to be there for an early shift ie 7am start? Or a long shift, 12/13 hours and then commute back home afterwards?
    My housemates had placements in Rotherham, Barnsley and Sheffield- lived in central Sheffield and were still exhausted on placement days.

ReputationRep:
    My situation is very similar to yours. If have been with my GF for 5 yeara and we have a mortgage together in Manchester. She is currently studying at MMU. I've accepted a place at the Uni of Sheffield I have been pondering for months on whether to commute (train) or live in halls. Apparently my course is 5 days a week so I've now decided to live in halls for thw first year. I know there will be plenty of days where I wake up and think "do I really want to get a train now?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that was a hard decision to make but sounds like you have made the right decision. You are lucky to have a girlfriend as understanding, i dont think my boyfriend would be happy at all if i moved to halls :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It will be hard decision but at the end of the day its your degree, your future and your student debt at the end of it all. Its not selfish to think of yourself when it comes to an inportant decision like university. If you BF loves you he should hopefully understand. I'll see my GF every weekend, home friday and go back Sunday night or Monday morning depending on the lecture times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronC11)
    It will be hard decision but at the end of the day its your degree, your future and your student debt at the end of it all. Its not selfish to think of yourself when it comes to an inportant decision like university. If you BF loves you he should hopefully understand. I'll see my GF every weekend, home friday and go back Sunday night or Monday morning depending on the lecture times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah just dont want him to think hes not enough for me, and think ill be getting drunk every night going out with lads.. No way what i want, i will be doing a nursing degree so it will be a full on hectic course. Living in halls will be easier than living at home.. But when i have placements (some nights) halls might be very loud and i wont be able to sleep :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just dont want him to think hes not enough for me, and think ill be getting drunk every night going out with lads.. No way what i want, i will be doing a nursing degree so it will be a full on hectic course. Living in halls will be easier than living at home.. But when i have placements (some nights) halls might be very loud and i wont be able to sleep :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same as me, im actully a mature student at 27 and the last thing I want to do is be placed with a load of 18 year old getting wasted every night. Dont get me wrong, I want to have a drink now and then but within reason. I've applied for the city centre halls, there suppose to be more independent compared to endcliffe. Endcliffe is where all the partings is suppose to be at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.