Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, wanting some advice.. I live a 40 minute drive away from the Uni or I would have to take a 20 min train then a 10 min bus to get to the campus so commuting is an option. I just don't want to feel like I was missing out on the experience of Uni. I do have a boyfriend (who I have been with 5 years) at home as well and I doubt he would find living at university a good idea because it is in commuting distance and spending unnecessary money. What are you guys thoughts? Will I miss out if I commute or find it hard to be accepted into other friend groups? I really want a good experience! Also because my parents earn a good income, I don't get much maintance loan (Direct gov calculator) to cover the rent and I doubt they would help me out as I don't think they would be very supportive of living away either.

ReputationRep:
    I commute, I've made friends and I always stay over theirs for nights out. Best of both really

But I will add, I am not the most sociable person in the world. I like going out clubbing once a week/ every two weeks, I like hanging out with friends during the day, but then I like going home, and switching off. If you are more outgoing, you may feel a bit unsatisfied at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    I commute, I've made friends and I always stay over theirs for nights out. Best of both really

But I will add, I am not the most sociable person in the world. I like going out clubbing once a week/ every two weeks, I like hanging out with friends during the day, but then I like going home, and switching off. If you are more outgoing, you may feel a bit unsatisfied at home.
    That sounds cool! How does freshers week work if you commute? Is freshers week the first week of the start of your course so you make a few friends on the days of the first week of the course and go out with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by njhutchinson1993)
    That sounds cool! How does freshers week work if you commute? Is freshers week the first week of the start of your course so you make a few friends on the days of the first week of the course and go out with them?
    I will be honest and say freshers week isn't great if you commute. I think I went out once or twice Because even though you make friends on your course during the first week, everyone seems to cling to their flatmates for freshers, still focused on getting to know them. After freshers die down people in their flats tend to diverge a bit and make more of an effort with course mates and people in the same societies.

Flatmates are sort of ready made friends, they are a bit of a comfort blanket if you live away. But after a couple of months most, people find that their flatmates aren't the ones who they necessarily would choose to be friends with, apart from maybe one or two (unless you are lucky and you all get on like a house on fire).

What course are you doing? Because some courses maybe less sociable than others, if they mainly consist of larger lectures rather than interactive tutorials/ seminars it may be more difficult to meet people.

It is obviously more difficult to make friends if you live at home, and you will feel left out a bit to start with, but you will still make friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    I will be honest and say freshers week isn't great if you commute. I think I went out once or twice Because even though you make friends on your course during the first week, everyone seems to cling to their flatmates for freshers, still focused on getting to know them. After freshers die down people in their flats tend to diverge a bit and make more of an effort with course mates and people in the same societies.

Flatmates are sort of ready made friends, they are a bit of a comfort blanket if you live away. But after a couple of months most, people find that their flatmates aren't the ones who they necessarily would choose to be friends with, apart from maybe one or two (unless you are lucky and you all get on like a house on fire).

What course are you doing? Because some courses maybe less sociable than others, if they mainly consist of larger lectures rather than interactive tutorials/ seminars it may be more difficult to meet people.

It is obviously more difficult to make friends if you live at home, and you will feel left out a bit to start with, but you will still make friends
    Thanks a lot for the info! yeah I thought that would be the case. I will be doing Adult Nursing.. if I commute I just hope I don't live to regret not living away and having the fully student experience, but I have heard that student life is over rated and then others ive heard that you will defiantly miss out from commuting.. I will also be 20 when I start the course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am in a similar situation, I live 30 min on the train to the university and I don't know whether I should move out for the first year or not. I am not a person who will go out every night and I am worried if I did move in the halls I would be left alone. But at the same time if I stay at home will I make any friends and get a university experience??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liz2)
    Hi I am in a similar situation, I live 30 min on the train to the university and I don't know whether I should move out for the first year or not. I am not a person who will go out every night and I am worried if I did move in the halls I would be left alone. But at the same time if I stay at home will I make any friends and get a university experience??
    Where do you live and what course will you be doing. Its so hard to decide but if you got involved in things im sure you would make friends, im sure you wouldnt be left alone in halls as some people are similar to you but for say the first month is all about settling in making friends and going out so if you was in halls it would be hard to refuse going out as most people would be. Its up to you. We are both in commuting distance its just so hard to make the right decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to Liverpool university and study pharmacology. i think it has long course hours each day.But do you make most of your friends from your course and university activities or halls?
    My best friend who wants to study English, is going to Liverpool too and is staying at home. so I won't be completely alone...
    But I am doubting staying at home is good though, as most people say you should move away in the halls for at least the first year. However, the accommodation is 30 mins from the university (the same travel time for me from home). And part of me wonders whether I am ready to move out yet which isn't really heard about when going to university...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liz2)
    I want to go to Liverpool university and study pharmacology. i think it has long course hours each day.But do you make most of your friends from your course and university activities or halls?
    My best friend who wants to study English, is going to Liverpool too and is staying at home. so I won't be completely alone...
    But I am doubting staying at home is good though, as most people say you should move away in the halls for at least the first year. However, the accommodation is 30 mins from the university (the same travel time for me from home). And part of me wonders whether I am ready to move out yet which isn't really heard about when going to university...
    At least you aren't fully alone then. You can still go out and stuff if you live at home and stay over at a friends in halls if they let you lol. That's what im hoping for. It sounds to me that you would be better at home with what your saying but that's just my opinion and its your choice. You will save a lot of money by staying at home. My loan would leave me with about 1000 to last me the year which is not enough to live on and enjoy uni life anyway so im thinking I would rather not struggle and worry money wise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, all the unis im applying for are at commutable distances, and the halls are really pricey. After just coming out of a gap year, I dont want boredom like that again, but when I think about the money i'll save, I feel commuting is the more sensible decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by njhutchinson1993)
    At least you aren't fully alone then. You can still go out and stuff if you live at home and stay over at a friends in halls if they let you lol. That's what im hoping for. It sounds to me that you would be better at home with what your saying but that's just my opinion and its your choice. You will save a lot of money by staying at home. My loan would leave me with about 1000 to last me the year which is not enough to live on and enjoy uni life anyway so im thinking I would rather not struggle and worry money wise.
    I don't get any of the maintenance loan as it would all go on accommodation and my parents would have to help pay for it as well. So at least at home I won't have to work stupid hours and will have more time to go out... I think the system is really unfair but oh well.
    Thank you for your help x
    i think I will stay at home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrafk)
    I'm in a similar situation, all the unis im applying for are at commutable distances, and the halls are really pricey. After just coming out of a gap year, I dont want boredom like that again, but when I think about the money i'll save, I feel commuting is the more sensible decision.
    I don't think it will be boring especially at the start as you are doing a course you enjoy and are meeting new people. It depends on how long you are in university each day and I suppose if you join clubs and stuff you can make friends that way and have fun. Thinking about it more people are staying at home so we won't be alone. I hope

ReputationRep:
    I am just going to join a load of clubs and societies and hope for the best.. And talk to anyone before the lectures and practicals. We will have an advantage as well as we will know where everything is and where the best places are to go to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liz2)
    I am just going to join a load of clubs and societies and hope for the best.. And talk to anyone before the lectures and practicals. We will have an advantage as well as we will know where everything is and where the best places are to go to
    Yep im sure we will decide on the right choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.