Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm looking to build myself a PC for the first time, and I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice on which components to get. At the moment I'm thinking something along these lines:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K quad core 3.4 GHz
    GPU: 2GB XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition
    MoBo: MSI Z77A-G4
    Memory: 2 x 4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB Serial ATA-300 7,200 RPM
    Power supply: Corsair 600 Watt CX600M

I'm working to a fairly tight budget (~£600 - £650), so this is probably around the upper limit of what I can afford. I'm probably least sure about the CPU and motherboard. Do you guys reckon it's worth getting an ivy bridge processor at the moment, or would I be better off saving some money and going for the i5 sandy bridge equivalent? Or even getting an i7 sandy bridge? Got no clue when it comes to the motherboard, either; I just picked one which cyberpower seemed to think was compatible. The power supply may be a bit more than I need, too.

I'm not looking for miracles with this setup; all I'm after is a decent rig with the capability to play most modern games at HD resolutions. Future proofing can come later, when I have more money to throw at stuff. Let me know if you see any obvious stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    Hey guys. I'm looking to build myself a PC for the first time, and I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice on which components to get. At the moment I'm thinking something along these lines:

CPU: Intel i5-3750K quad core 3.4 GHz [B]are you planning on overclocking?/B]
    GPU: 2GB XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition good budget gpu, i'll explain other issues below
    MoBo: MSI Z77A-G4 decent value

I'm working to a fairly tight budget (~£600 - £650), so this is probably around the upper limit of what I can afford. I'm probably least sure about the CPU and motherboard. Do you guys reckon it's worth getting an ivy bridge processor at the moment, or would I be better off saving some money and going for the i5 sandy bridge equivalent? Or even getting an i7 sandy bridge? Got no clue when it comes to the motherboard, either; I just picked one which cyberpower seemed to think was compatible. The power supply may be a bit more than I need, too.

I'm not looking for miracles with this setup; all I'm after is a decent rig with the capability to play most modern games at HD resolutions. Future proofing can come later, when I have more money to throw at stuff. Let me know if you see any obvious stupidity.

Are you planning on buying the parts separately and building them at home?
    or going with cyberpower? they aren't amazing.

Can you provide me with links to where you're getting your parts from?
    As I can make a better judgement on your needs and the parts you need from price.......and get you a better rig as well.

Also does this include windows, screen, etc?

ReputationRep:
    It looks pretty good, assuming you meant the i5-3570 and you have a case already. Had a look on ebuyer and total came to £577, can probably get it a bit cheaper if you look around.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I meant the 3570. Sorry!

(Original post by Iqbal007)
    Are you planning on buying the parts separately and building them at home?
    or going with cyberpower? they aren't amazing.

Can you provide me with links to where you're getting your parts from?
    As I can make a better judgement on your needs and the parts you need from price.......and get you a better rig as well.

Also does this include windows, screen, etc?
    Thanks for the quick response, Iqbal. You're amazing.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting the parts and building it myself. I reckon I can probably save something in the region of £100 over cyberpower by doing it that way. All I've been using cyberpower for is to help me in deciding what parts I should be looking at.

The £600-£650 guesstimate above includes the parts I've listed, case and optical drive. I'm planning to re-use a monitor from an old desktop, at least initially, so I haven't allowed for a screen in my budget. Same goes for other peripherals, although I'll probably end up getting a new keyboard and some new speakers, because the old ones I have are truly awful.

And no, I'm not looking to overclock...yet, anyway. I suppose it would be nice to have that capability, at least in the long run.

I've mainly been using scan.co.uk and amazon to cost the parts I need.

CPU: Scan (£168) Amazon (£162)
    GPU: Scan (£151) Amazon (£158)
    MoBo: Scan (£75) Amazon (£65)
    RAM: Scan (£50) Amazon (£33)
    HDD: Scan (£52) Amazon (£50)
    Power Supply: Scan (£63) Amazon (£57)

Scan total: £559
    Amazon total: £525

Then I'm thinking something like £70 for a case and an optical drive. Possibly less. I don't plan on spending much on either.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I meant the 3570. Sorry!

Thanks for the quick response, Iqbal. You're amazing.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting the parts and building it myself. I reckon I can probably save something in the region of £100 over cyberpower by doing it that way. All I've been using cyberpower for is to help me in deciding what parts I should be looking at.

The £600-£650 guesstimate above includes the parts I've listed, case and optical drive. I'm planning to re-use a monitor from an old desktop, at least initially, so I haven't allowed for a screen in my budget. Same goes for other peripherals, although I'll probably end up getting a new keyboard and some new speakers, because the old ones I have are truly awful.

And no, I'm not looking to overclock...yet, anyway. I suppose it would be nice to have that capability, at least in the long run.

I've mainly been using scan.co.uk and amazon to cost the parts I need.

CPU: Scan (£168) Amazon (£162)
    GPU: Scan (£151) Amazon (£158)
    MoBo: Scan (£75) Amazon (£65)
    RAM: Scan (£50) Amazon (£33)
    HDD: Scan (£52) Amazon (£50)
    Power Supply: Scan (£63) Amazon (£57)

Scan total: £559
    Amazon total: £525

Then I'm thinking something like £70 for a case and an optical drive. Possibly less. I don't plan on spending much on either.
    Ok well............the ram at amazon is £50 now...........I have no clue why but since around december prices have skyrocketed for ram Also at that price consider corsair vengeance low profile ones.

In terms of cpu, might as well get the cheap k i5 off amazon. Again price has changed to £168.

mobo have a look at others, maybe the gigabyte z77-d3h

HDD http://www.ebuyer.com/319639-seagate...ve-st1000dm003

Power supply is fine, especially if you wanna add stuff in the future, extra fans, etc another thing is also check the wires that with it and if they are enough:

CX600M
    4 x 4pin Molex
    2 x 6pin PCI-E Power
    1 x 8pin CPU +12V
    1 x FDD Power
    3 x SATA Power

Optical drives are quite cheap........

Case wise you got a lot of choice............have a look at the Corsair 300r, Antec 300 2 and Coolermaster 690 II case. At most expect 2 fans from each case thats given along with you.

Forgot to say, summer time new chipset and processor release from intel.

ReputationRep:
    mobo have a look at others, maybe the gigabyte z77-d3h
    Have to say, that does sound a LOT better. If I was spend a bit more on a component, would you recommend looking at the motherboard first?

Case wise you got a lot of choice............have a look at the Corsair 300r, Antec 300 2 and Coolermaster 690 II case. At most expect 2 fans from each case thats given along with you.
    I quite like the look (and the price tag ) of this (amazon). Only one fan, but I'd probably buy another for the rear of the case to help things out.

Thanks for your help again. If I could rep you twice I would.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say, that does sound a LOT better. If I was spend a bit more on a component, would you recommend looking at the motherboard first?

I quite like the look (and the price tag ) of this (amazon). Only one fan, but I'd probably buy another for the rear of the case to help things out.

To an extent yes, it depends on what your looking to get out of it......... but the one recommended is considered the best budget intel mobo.

The case is quite budget.......also have a look at there k series..............and the Antec one or the Zalman z9 or something if your trying for something budget but good quality also.

ReputationRep:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K quad core 3.4 GHz
    GPU: 2GB XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition
    MoBo: MSI Z77A-G4

i think its a decent build.

If i was you, id buy the parts from amazon as you genuinly have a life-time warrenty, just because they are awsome and can always swap out parts in the future by making up an 'excuse', i know that isnt morally right, but who cares?

Keep with the 3570k or even go for the 2500k, if your only using the computer for gaming, and 2500k is a better option for gaming because it stays cooler, you will only see a 1-2fps difference, which your eyes wont even notice, and the 2500k is also cheaper.

dont go with the stock intel cooler, trust me it gets noisey as hell, get a i5 without a fan, save you some money and get the hyper evo 212+

good luck, and dont let anybody else build it for you, the fun is in building it your self!

ReputationRep:

I have this case and it's okay as far as it goes but there isn't much in the way of cable management. You have to get creative! I do like the look of the case though

ReputationRep:
    If you're using it mainly for gaming, you just need a decent processor - the i5 2400, or even i5 3470 is good enough. What you'd want is at least the HD 7870 or GTX 660Ti (if you have extra quid) for gaming at full HD ( I assume your resolution is at least 1920x1080). Get the Corsair 400R if you don't want to change your case ever again and just want to upgrade the components in the future - this thing is cool and pretty.

Not overclocking will save you tons of money, you don't need to get RAM like the XMS 3, normal or budget RAM and the stock cooler will the job just fine. Your power bill will be lower. Trust me, I upgraded to the CM Hyper 212+ Evo and there's no improvement in acoustics unless you're overclocking. It's quiet too. Really. Temps using stock fan is not worrying at all even after long gaming sessions. Using faster RAM does not give you a noticeable improvement ~2% increase in performance or so.

If you've got more money, you'd get a SSD, which really makes all the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supertoaster)
    x
    x
    (Original post by Joseph-)
    x
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    x
    (Original post by ghostcommand99)
    x
    Thanks for all the help guys - I've changed a couple of the components thanks to the advice you've been giving. If I don't manage to rep you all today then I'll try and remember for tomorrow! Pretty sure I've settled on the final build now. Gonna start ordering the parts tonight.

CPU: Intel i5-3570K (Considered going for a 2500K but there's no appreciable difference in price)
    GPU: VTX3D Radeon HD 7870 Black Edition (VTX3D is insanely cheap! This is actually the newer version of the card with the Tahiti chip, which sits between the GHz edition of the 7870 and the 7950 in terms of performance, and it's not much more expensive than the 7850s I was looking at on Amazon!)
    MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance low profile
    PSU: Corsair CXM 600
    Optical Drive: Some Samsung *******s

I'll be getting most of the parts from Amazon, with the RAM coming from Scan, the MoBo from eBuyer and the HDD from Kikatech. It's a little bit more pricey than the original build I posted - will probably come to £640 overall, case included. I'm sure it'll be worth it though.

Oh, I got the Zalman Z9 as well. Saw it in Maplin for even less than on the interwebs, so I picked it up without hesitation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help guys - I've changed a couple of the components thanks to the advice you've been giving. If I don't manage to rep you all today then I'll try and remember for tomorrow! Pretty sure I've settled on the final build now. Gonna start ordering the parts tonight.

CPU: Intel i5-3570K (Considered going for a 2500K but there's no appreciable difference in price)good
    GPU: VTX3D Radeon HD 7870 Black Edition (VTX3D is insanely cheap! This is actually the newer version of the card with the Tahiti chip, which sits between the GHz edition of the 7870 and the 7950 in terms of performance, and it's not much more expensive than the 7850s I was looking at on Amazon!) Personally think if your spending that much you might have considered the 7950/660ti.......VTX3D aren't one of the best vendors hence the cheaper price
    MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3Hgood
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance low profilegood
    PSU: Corsair CXM 600 good
    Optical Drive: Some Samsung *******s

I'll be getting most of the parts from Amazon, with the RAM coming from Scan, the MoBo from eBuyer and the HDD from Kikatech. It's a little bit more pricey than the original build I posted - will probably come to £640 overall, case included. I'm sure it'll be worth it though.

Oh, I got the Zalman Z9 as well. Saw it in Maplin for even less than on the interwebs, so I picked it up without hesitation.
    Hope you like the case if its that much cheaper, its generally used as a cheap good all round case

ReputationRep:
    Hope you like the case if its that much cheaper, its generally used as a cheap good all round case
    The 7950 seems to be around the £250 mark...there're a couple of cheaper brands at around £220 but it's still considerably more than I'm paying. PC Gamer seems to be pretty impressed with VTX3D, from what I've read. I figured I'd give them a go in any case. I'm sure it'll be fine for my needs.

ReputationRep:
    The 7950 seems to be around the £250 mark...there're a couple of cheaper brands at around £220 but it's still considerably more than I'm paying.
    Ok, my mate was able to pick one up under £200 somehow

ReputationRep:
    It all went smoothly! Put it together without hitch, and it seems to be working great! Couldn't help but smile when Skyrim did its little assessment of my hardware and set all the video options to ultra. That's never happened to me before!

ReputationRep:
    It all went smoothly! Put it together without hitch, and it seems to be working great! Couldn't help but smile when Skyrim did its little assessment of my hardware and set all the video options to ultra. That's never happened to me before!
    make sure to update everything................pics?

ReputationRep:
    make sure to update everything................pics?
    Yep, still got to update the video drivers from the ones on the disk, otherwise I think I'm up to date. Will reply with pics ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, still got to update the video drivers from the ones on the disk, otherwise I think I'm up to date. Will reply with pics ASAP.
    update using the net, cos the one ones on the disk are outdated now

ReputationRep:
    update using the net, cos the one ones on the disk are outdated now
    Yeah, sorry, I meant update from the ones on the disk to the ones I've downloaded :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sorry, I meant update from the ones on the net to the ones I've downloaded :P
    bios as well? it can be a bit of effort.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.