Hair dye disaster! *Medium brown hair dye turned out BLACK*

Watch
me_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Yeah so managed to buy a 'medium brown' hair dye and it only went and turned PITCH BLACK once applied...

I have a pale complexion with blue eyes and don't suit the harsh black look... The disaster happened 2 weeks ago and I refuse to dye it again any time soon! Not fussed on that Colour B4 hair colour removing malarkey but am tempted to try it... Anyone have any *good* experiences with it?

Probably going to wait a month or so till I dye it again a rich chocolate brown, something much warmer when the colour has dyed down. Could anyone recommend nice rich chocolate/coffee shade home hair dying kits?

And finally, has anyone got any past experiences fading hair/letting dark hair dye grow out? My natural hair colour is a dirty blonde verging on light brown. Bought vosene medicated shampoo to see if it can strip some colour out.

Any advice on any of the topics raised above would be a MASSIVE help, thank you!!
brookedilene
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The same thing has happened to me with hair dye, and i have the same natural hair color as you. What helped for me was washing my hair everyday (i usually only do every other day), and leaving the shampoo in for twice as long as i usually would. Color typically fades the more you wash it.
therisenmitten
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Garnier nutrisse by any chance?
They always turn out so much darker for me.

This has happened to me a couple of times. I normally try using clarifying shampoo or head and shoulders and leaving it on for a few minutes each time. I've also heard that baking soda can help fade hair colour.

I've never tried colour B4 but I'd feel nervous about putting more chemicals on your hair after you've already dyed it recently, but I don't know exactly what's in the stuff.

But anyway, the main point is that it does fade eventually.
Then in a couple of weeks just try a lighter dye.

edit: can someone explain what's wrong with my advice?
jays89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Head and shoulders is good at getting colour out too. You need to be persistent with it mind you. I'd wash mine daily and shampoo twice each time. I have used Colour B4 and it did work, to an extent...but head and shoulders is much cheaper and less stressful on your hair.

As for letting dark dye grow out...I've done that too and it took a year, and that was after cutting it into a bob to get rid of the majority of the colour. Not the easiest option to say the least but it works 100%! haha.
Andaxay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Colour B4 isn't bad actually. I used it to get my jet black, severely dull thanks to years of just dyeing dark on dark on dark, hair to a warm auburn colour. Be warned though - follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. When you rinse for 10 minutes, you rinse for TEN WHOLE MINUTES. Trust me on this Because when you rinse, you wash the colour molecules out of your hair. If you don't rinse well enough, the hair gradually goes darker over the course of a few days as it oxidises. Great news is, it isn't damaging, either, my hair was fine after using it, quite soft actually.

You could try that then put a medium brown (strongly recommend nothing darker for the time being) on top. If you don't want the hair to be too warm, use an ash brown shade - it'll neutralise the warmth.

Or, like others have said, Head and Shoulders. It's great for fading out harsh shades. It's awful when it goes darker, isn't it I dyed mine a "medium ash blonde" to match my natural shade and it came out at a level 6 brown! Wasn't happy! The good thing for you is, with Colour B4, because you haven't dyed it that dark for years and therefore there isn't a build up of colour, you should have some success with it. Not too expensive, either, not cheap but much better than getting it stripped, which could damage your hair.

Condition religiously, too, to keep it in tip top shape. Good luck
georgia.17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used colour b4 when going from jet black to bleach blonde and it worked a treat! I ended up with a lovely auburn colour which I kept for months to rest my hair.

I've had that many hair disasters I can't even keep count, my hair doesn't seem to want to keep hair colour at the moment dyed it a lovely deep red and now my old purple has taken back over after two washes! Complete nightmare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
me_
Rep:
?
Wow, thanks everyone for your great replies! They've been really informative and helpful.

Little update, bought Colour B4 Extra Strength to try and lift the darkness (I swear, my hair has literally been dyed either a dark brown or dark chocolate at least ten times!) but I am not going to use it any time soon, in the meantime I'm going to use Vosene every time I wash my hair and so far it has worked. My hair has so much colour build up and now that the hair has lifted somewhat, red tones from when my hair my bright red are starting to show which is more than welcomed.

Bought Casting Creme Gloss in shade Chocolate to use straight after the Colour B4 process but again, won't be doing this for at least a month or so. If the Vosene has worked then I may not use it if its lifted enough colour, kinda scared using Colour B4!

Here's the dye I bought and colour I want to achieve:
http://www.radiuspharmacy.co.nz/medi.../2/2280841.jpg

Again, thank you all, I'll make sure to keep you all updated!
Attached files
therisenmitten
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by me_)
Wow, thanks everyone for your great replies! They've been really informative and helpful.

Little update, bought Colour B4 Extra Strength to try and lift the darkness (I swear, my hair has literally been dyed either a dark brown or dark chocolate at least ten times!) but I am not going to use it any time soon, in the meantime I'm going to use Vosene every time I wash my hair and so far it has worked. My hair has so much colour build up and now that the hair has lifted somewhat, red tones from when my hair my bright red are starting to show which is more than welcomed.

Bought Casting Creme Gloss in shade Chocolate to use straight after the Colour B4 process but again, won't be doing this for at least a month or so. If the Vosene has worked then I may not use it if its lifted enough colour, kinda scared using Colour B4!

Here's the dye I bought and colour I want to achieve:
http://www.radiuspharmacy.co.nz/medi.../2/2280841.jpg

Again, thank you all, I'll make keep you all updated!
That's a really nice colour!
I've been looking for a new medium brown hair dye that doesn't turn out too dark like most do. Let me know if it works out ok
me_
Rep:
?
(Original post by therisenmitten)
That's a really nice colour!
I've been looking for a new medium brown hair dye that doesn't turn out too dark like most do. Let me know if it works out ok
It was between this and shade 'espresso' and apparently you're to opt for the lighter colour if you don't want a darker shade. As long as the colour turns out a nice rich chocolate I don't mind at all

And I'll let you know how it turns out too
Alexis2030
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does it fade into brown??
xo_indiapoppy_xo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This happened to me and Mum was furious but I just had to deal with it 😢
emilywilliams266
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi I've done exactly the same thing with the same natural hair. How did you bring it back to brown and did it fade?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (193)
38.91%
Take autumn exams (152)
30.65%
Look for a job (17)
3.43%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.23%
Take a year out (85)
17.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.65%

Watched Threads