Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Danish Pre-Graduate looking to work in the UK with a Danish Education watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I made this post to ask if it is possible that I can get a job in the business section with a danish education since our countries system works differently and I have a devastating doubt in my mind that I might not be able to get any jobs (Sales Assistant, Sales Consultant, Sales Executive, Sales Manager, etc) in the business section because of the fact my education was taken in a different country with different system.

A short summary about myself and why I have chosen to move to the UK if the education is a possible degree in the UK:

My name is Pauline and I'm 18 years old, born and raised in Denmark. I have a girlfriend in UK and been in the UK for a week. Reason why I wanna move to the UK and not stay in Denmark and live here for the rest of my life is basically because of how everything works there, the system and the cost of things are so much cheaper and the goverment service (the free healthcare and such) are extremely good, including that the british people are very different than how ignorant and judging the Danes are. Put it this way, I'm female and have a complete insane passion about cars and I would basically have 0 chance at all to get a job as a sales person in a car company such as Audi or whatever it is, but because of my gender they would decline me... That's basically a short summary of how Denmark works as a country. They judge you by your personality, your skin color, your religion... And I don't exactly wish to be living in a country like this, where the doctors hang up on you on the phone and doesn't even help you when it is required and needed.

I know how the system works in the UK and I was wondering if it could be a possibility to move there with a danish education in my hand, since our education system works completely different giving in the fact it is 2 different countries.

EDUCATION INFORMATION: There are 3 different courses on the college that I am on.

- HG
    , basic training in retail/trade and office work. (2 years in college and 2 years out working in a self-chosen company as a trainee = 4 years in total to complete the education with a HG-degree) No University is required unless we wish to further educate ourselves. University isn't required here because of our 2 years of being a trainee in a company where a person teaches us up on how to be e.g a Sales Executive / Assistant (This depends on whatever job you choose to be taught-up on, which is part of your education but working in a company. This also depends on which path you choose to go e.g retail, trading (basically sales), office)

- HHX, upper secondary education within the field of retail/trade and office work (higher commercial examination). (6+ years since you don't have the same education options as HG but MUST attend to the University and forced to further educate yourself as bachelor / candidate, unlike HG where you go work in a B2B / B2C company after 4 years)

- Courses, training programmes for private enterprises and the public sector (e.g. IT, languages, economics, sales and communication).

Short information about me:

I am a student on an education that takes 4 years in total to complete in order to have the HG-degree as mentioned earlier and a career-woman so to speak. I am one of the most ambitious students in this college and most known for the hardest working student among the other 300 students in college. I have ambitions and goals in life that I will work on achieveing. I know what I want and what I wanna do with my life, unlike most people my age. I have the "leadership blood" inside me which my teachers and I both discovered during group work and the willing to help other people that does NOT take it forgranted, otherwise I will not offer help again.

I have a big passion within the business industry, how it works daily and what people do for living to run the company... I have always dreamt of working in a company in the sales department (B2B) and I can speak and type English fluently, again, unlike most Danish people in my age (most of them struggle a lot by speaking it verbally and has such bad grammar it is considered 2nd grade English in the UK)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENT GRADES

English D: B.
    (Moved up to a C level, considering taking B on the second year of the semester)

- Danish: D.
    - Business Economy: B.
    - Informationtechnology (IT): B.
    - Sales and Services (incl. marketing, etc): B.
    - Social Studies: B.
    - German F: C.
    (Moved up to E level. German is a MUST in order to pass on to 2nd year of the semester)

RECENT RECEIVED GRADES:
    - Business Economy: A.
    - English C: A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pauline Beth)
    Hi everyone, I made this post to ask if it is possible that I can get a job in the business section with a danish education since our countries system works differently and I have a devastating doubt in my mind that I might not be able to get any jobs (Sales Executive, Sales Manager, etc) in the business section because of the fact my education was taken in a different country with different system.

A short summary about myself and why I have chosen to move to the UK if the education is a possible degree in the UK:

My name is Pauline and I'm 18 years old, born and raised in Denmark. I have a girlfriend in UK and been in the UK for a week. Reason why I wanna move to the UK and not stay in Denmark and live here for the rest of my life is basically because of how everything works there, the system and the cost of things are so much cheaper and the goverment service (the free healthcare and such) are extremely good, including that the british people are very different than how ignorant and judging the Danes are. Put it this way, I'm female and have a complete insane passion about cars and I would basically have 0 chance at all to get a job as a sales person in a car company such as Audi or whatever it is, but because of my gender they would decline me... That's basically a short summary of how Denmark works as a country. They judge you by your personality, your skin color, your religion... And I don't exactly wish to be living in a country like this, where the doctors hang up on you on the phone and doesn't even help you when it is required and needed.

I know how the system works in the UK and I was wondering if it could be a possibility to move there with a danish education in my hand, since our education system works completely different giving in the fact it is 2 different countries.

EDUCATION INFORMATION: There are 3 different courses on the college that I am on.

- HG
    , basic training in retail/trade and office work. (2 years in college and 2 years out working in a self-chosen company as a trainee = 4 years in total to complete the education with a HG-degree) No University is required unless we wish to further educate ourselves. University isn't required here because of our 2 years of being a trainee in a company where a person teaches us up on how to be e.g a Sales Executive / Assistant (This depends on whatever job you choose to be taught-up on, which is part of your education but working in a company. This also depends on which path you choose to go e.g retail, trading (basically sales), office)

- HHX, upper secondary education within the field of retail/trade and office work (higher commercial examination). (6+ years since you don't have the same education options as HG but MUST attend to the University and forced to further educate yourself as bachelor / candidate, unlike HG where you go work in a B2B / B2C company after 4 years)

- Courses, training programmes for private enterprises and the public sector (e.g. IT, languages, economics, sales and communication).

Short information about me:

I am a student on an education that takes 4 years in total to complete in order to have the HG-degree as mentioned earlier and a career-woman so to speak. I am one of the most ambitious students in this college and most known for the hardest working student among the other 300 students in college. I have ambitions and goals in life that I will work on achieveing. I know what I want and what I wanna do with my life, unlike most people my age. I have the "leadership blood" inside me which my teachers and I both discovered during group work and the willing to help other people that does NOT take it forgranted, otherwise I will not offer help again.

I have a big passion within the business industry, how it works daily and what people do for living to run the company... I have always dreamt of working in a company in the sales department (B2B) and I can speak and type English fluently, again, unlike most Danish people in my age (most of them struggle a lot by speaking it verbally and has such bad grammar it is considered 2nd grade English in the UK)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENT GRADES

English D: B.
    (Moved up to a C level, considering taking B on the second year of the semester)

- Danish: D.
    - Business Economy: B.
    - Informationtechnology (IT): B.
    - Sales and Services (incl. marketing, etc): B.
    - Social Studies: B.
    - German F: C.
    (Moved up to E level. German is a MUST in order to pass on to 2nd year of the semester)

RECENT RECEIVED GRADES:
    - Business Economy: A.
    - English C: A.
    You got a great chance, in UK most of the people tend to get jobs based on their experience. The fact that you have extensive work experience will easily land you a job. Don't worry about your qualification, just explain to any employers that you moved from Denmark. It will probably same level as our qualification but I wouldn't know that myself.

Make a CV or resume in UK standard format and use websites like Indeed or Reed.co.uk to help you find jobs.

As long as you show off your work experience and demonstrate it on resume than you won't struggle.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, thank you so much for the reply. So you think that with the 2 years expereince in a certain job role of business that I would have that as a trump card so to speak on my CV into getting a job (despite not having a university level education - as the systems are different). Also, what did you mean with "It will probably same level as our qualification but I wouldn't know that myself." And again, thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, thank you so much for the reply. So you think that with the 2 years expereince in a certain job role of business that I would have that as a trump card so to speak on my CV into getting a job (despite not having a university level education - as the systems are different). Also, what did you mean with "It will probably same level as our qualification but I wouldn't know that myself." And again, thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.
    That is a great thing, to have two years experience in job role, especially as it is tough in this country for students and young people to get considered for jobs because of the experience that we lack. The experience gained from working is considered more valuable than your education is how this country work. When I finished college, the thing that I lacked was experience and that took time to build.

Trust me, as long as you demonstrate your work history you do better than the majority of people especially in customer service/sales experience. Ignore the comment about qualifications, I was talking about your denmark qualifications.

Also try and sort out reference from people you trust as there ask for reference when you offered jobs here and make sure you have some sort of proof of you work experience. Any more questions, I can answer for you.

ReputationRep:
    If you worry about your degree being different from the UK equivalent, you shouldn't as there is an organisation which can compare you degree to UK equivalent and you would have a certificate proving so. Of course it costs but it's not that much, it's about 50 pounds and you get it done in 2 weeks time.

You can find more information here: http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/default.aspx

Just a small note that this organisation only can compare your degree/qualification to the UK equivalent and cannot compare grades.

Haven't used it myself yet but going definitely to use in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. But I recently found out the EXACT name of the job that I am going to be trained out to do, for those 2 years as being a trainee in a company over here in Denmark, before I move to the UK. I am going to be trained up as a Sales Consultant. Is it still possible for me to get a job in the UK as a sales consultant, with this educational background? (Scroll up if you haven't seen yet)

Also, thanks so much for the replies. Much appreciated... Sorry for the late reply though, been pretty busy in college. x_x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. But I recently found out the EXACT name of the job that I am going to be trained out to do, for those 2 years as being a trainee in a company over here in Denmark, before I move to the UK. I am going to be trained up as a Sales Consultant. Is it still possible for me to get a job in the UK as a sales consultant, with this educational background? (Scroll up if you haven't seen yet)

Also, thanks so much for the replies. Much appreciated... Sorry for the late reply though, been pretty busy in college. x_x
    Sorry for the late reply, yes it is possible to get sales consultant role in UK. Good luck.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.