The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ambbs
Jan 2012, q7. The answer is A but I don't get why! Thanks in advance :smile: phys q jan 12.png

Someone explained this a few pages ago. Have a lil search.
Reply 301
Original post by B-Stacks
Someone explained this a few pages ago. Have a lil search.

Ah okay, thanks - found it now, must have missed it before :smile:
Reply 302
Reply 303
Original post by LegendX
Anyone know how I would work out the reading on the voltmeter? :smile:

Anyone?

But the statement
"The wavelength of an electron is almost equal to the atomic size or spacing" is very important!
Original post by wirralriddler
I got a little confused by this question when I did this paper too :/
It was explained to me like this: Basically assuming P.d stays constant and that V=IR you know that the general shape must have a -ve gradient because as I increases, R must decrease (so that V stays the same). The fact that it's a curve and not a straight line is to do with the fact that the current causes the resistor to heat up (I think, so the 'kept at constant temp' thing must be referring to the external conditions only) and given that increased temperature causes resistance to increase (in metals/decrease in other semiconductors), the resistance/current relationship wouldn't be linear. Quite a misleading question in my opinion!

Im sorry to say but I think that explanation is plain nonsense.

V=IR
I=V/R
v is constant so I=k/R

Now wont a AS student feel ashamed when they do not know how to sketch a y=k/x
curve???????
Weren't we supposed to learn the curve shape in GCSE itself???
Reply 306
i gave up on physics in jan! so i have to try and teach myself this unit in a couple of days! i wont start the revision till after my exam tomorrow! if anyone can give me some tips and handy ways of remember key terms and equations i would be very grateful!
Reply 307
P.d across branches in parallel with the power supply are always equal to the voltage across the power supply I think. So the answer would just be 15v? :smile:

It was not 15V, the answer was 12V
Reply 308
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

V=IR
I=V/R
v is constant so I=k/R

curve???????

It happens man, the recognition of graph shapes aren't always something that comes straight to mind when seeing that equation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 309
Original post by syders123
i gave up on physics in jan! so i have to try and teach myself this unit in a couple of days! i wont start the revision till after my exam tomorrow! if anyone can give me some tips and handy ways of remember key terms and equations i would be very grateful!

Good luck.
Reply 310
Alright chill out... just a messy way of explaining it I guess. Sorry! Just how it was explained by my teacher... cheers

Lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 311
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

V=IR
I=V/R
v is constant so I=k/R

curve???????

The exam stress has gone to his mind, he's going crazy. :eek:
Original post by LegendX

Nope, I'm not stressed out.
:smile:
But giving explanations like that just makes you roflyao ...:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 313
Original post by LegendX

Legend, did you find the answer to your question? I'm also interested .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 314
I just have a feeling that the grade boundaries for this series is going to be really high ... we have got some really bright candidates here :P
So the best way to revise is to do all the past papers and all the extra exam questions I can find,eh?
Original post by x0x
I just have a feeling that the grade boundaries for this series is going to be really high ... we have got some really bright candidates here :P
So the best way to revise is to do all the past papers and all the extra exam questions I can find,eh?

And old spec questions
Reply 316
Original post by Branny101
Legend, did you find the answer to your question? I'm also interested .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, still haven't and the funny thing is that because it's one mark its prob really simple >M
Reply 317
Original post by x0x

A few bright people on TSR does not represent the country lol, don't worry.
Reply 318
Original post by legendx
anyone know how i would work out the reading on the voltmeter? :smile:

someone must know how to do this question? Click on the original post link to see the question. Someone? Anyone? :smile:
Reply 319
could someone please explain to me why the answer to this question is A? thank you

ignore this I've just realised it's on this thread
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending