Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I got relatively good GCSE's, but I'm worried that for a university like Imperial, they may not be enough, especially with its reputation of being one of the best 3 in the country for physics. I got 3 A*s, in maths, business studies and core science (the double award), 5As in additional science, English Lang/lit, electronics and history, and 2 Bs in GCSE PE and French. I'm aiming for all As at AS, followed up by at least 2, possibly 3 A*s at A2. Would these GCSEs, particularly only the A in science (curse that coursework ), disadvantage me at all, and if so how much?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies

ReputationRep:
    Of course not, I had As in all my sciences (yes, that damned coursework) and still got an offer. If you have a nice clean sweep of As at AS I doubt you will have a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    They're fine. The main things you need are at least a B in GCSE English and good grades in the relevant subjects (maths and physics) which you have.

As competitive as it is, you don't need a million A*s to study at Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    This is definitely good enough

ReputationRep:
    While there's always some people who apparently have 16 A*s or whatever, there are plenty of people in the same situation as you, so don't be put off The thing to focus on most is working hard for AS and A2, and preparing well if you get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to apply to imperial with a C in English language, I got 3 a*s 6A's 2 b's 1 c at gcse. I want to do mechanical engineering
    I also have just done my As exams, and should get AAAAB
    Maths physics economics business general studies respectively.
    Is it not worth applying because of the C in gcse English language, I got this due to grade boundaries being raised after I had submitted all my coursework etc
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeBarrett1)
    Is it possible to apply to imperial with a C in English language, I got 3 a*s 6A's 2 b's 1 c at gcse. I want to do mechanical engineering
    Is it not worth applying because of the C in gcse English language, I got this due to grade boundaries being raised after I had submitted all my coursework etc
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You need a B in English Lang for all courses at Imperial minimum:
    http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/registry/...ions/ugenglish
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For mechanical engineering:

"You also need at least a grade B in English Language at GCSE, or equivalent."

So your grade is not good enough. However, I do know people who managed to get in with a C in English language. If your application is otherwise very good, the college may ask that you sit an equivalent English Language qualification to prove that you are at the required standard. Check this thread. As part of your offer conditions you may be asked to sit a IELTS test and get a certain grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    For mechanical engineering:

"You also need at least a grade B in English Language at GCSE, or equivalent."

So your grade is not good enough. However, I do know people who managed to get in with a C in English language. If your application is otherwise very good, the college may ask that you sit an equivalent English Language qualification to prove that you are at the required standard. Check this thread. As part of your offer conditions you may be asked to sit a IELTS test and get a certain grade.
    So it is still possible to apply, and I maybe asked to sit a further English exam.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So it is still possible to apply, and I maybe asked to sit a further English exam.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, it is still worth applying if your other grades are excellent and you like Imperial. You could contact the department to discuss this with them.

ReputationRep:
    They won't disadvantage you but they won't be an advantage either.
    They are probably below average as most people have triple science but they are certainly good enough to apply.

Just make sure you do well at AS and have a good personal statement and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    They won't disadvantage you but they won't be an advantage either.
    They are probably below average as most people have triple science but they are certainly good enough to apply.

Just make sure you do well at AS and have a good personal statement and you'll be fine.
    Do you mean triple science at GCSE, I did that and got AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean triple science at GCSE, I did that and got AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I meant that most people have A* in physics though.
    But GCSE grades are just a small part of the overall application.

If your grades meet the minimum requirements on their website then you can apply.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.