The Student Room Group

Gcse english wjec help!!!!!

I have a controlled assesment in gcse english- its about shakespeare shows conflict in acts 1 scene 5
Act 3 scene 1
And act 3 scene 5,. I then have to compare them to how two poem writers show conflict in a poem called 'dulce et decorum est' and 'the man he killed'
Ive already used an hour out of four hours

Could ANYONE help me please please please. Like any bit of information would benefit me greatly
Ok, I wasn't the best at English, I ended up with ok grades (A and B), but I got an A in my last exam for the one I got a B overall in because I bought the revision guides for those books. It really helped. They are amazing, the CGP ones any way. They analyse the themes, the writing, everything, and then they give advice on how to structure an essay question. It saved my life. As for Dulce et Decorum Est (one of my favourite quotes by the way), you can find similar analysis' on the Internet and then write down which particular sections have a lot, remember particular quotes that are useful. But your exam board may have revision guides that do have comparisons between those poems - the CGP Anthology revision guide for AQA looked pretty good, my friend had it. That compared poems. Don't forget the initialism PQD - point, quote, development.

What play is it by Shakespeare?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by badboyasy
I have a controlled assesment in gcse english- its about shakespeare shows conflict in acts 1 scene 5
Act 3 scene 1
And act 3 scene 5,. I then have to compare them to how two poem writers show conflict in a poem called 'dulce et decorum est' and 'the man he killed'

Could ANYONE help me please please please. Like any bit of information would benefit me greatly

I done my essay on Act 3 Scene 1 and got full marks on it like a baws:cool:. If you want any help gimme a sample of your work and I will critique:smile:
Did I miss anything here or did you actually say which Shakespeare play you were using? English isn't my strong suit but I know the Wilfred Owen to be fairly obvious in terms of conflict (he's like the most famous war poet), there is some internal conflict with him as well as he struggles to comprehend the necessity of war. I think the other one's a Thomas Hardy one but I'm not familiar with a lot of his stuff (just a few of the novels and a totally different poem about prostitution), from the title I imagine the conflict is similar to the aforementioned ones. The main thing is to keep saying "Shakespeare shows this by" or "Owen uses (insert technique) to", as well as to include and analyse a reasonable amount of quotes!
Original post by badboyasy
Act 3 scene 1

Which play?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Sorry everyone! Romeo and juliet is th3 play.
I got 40/40 on mine, I could also have a look if you want, even though mine was on Macbeth.

Pick about 4-5 ways conflict is presented (e.g. physical effects, internal conflict) so your argument is broad.
Be concise and always analyse language closely.
No need for historical context on this unit.
Approach it positively! English isn't my strong point, but I was determined and spent hours upon hours preparing
Try to make a few original points - these don't have to be super mind blowing points, just alternative interpretations of a quote for example
Reply 7
i got 38/40 for mine although mine was for desire

Here are parts of mine so that you should know how your answer should look like...

Desire is a prominent theme exhibited by Shakespeare’s primary characters in ‘Macbeth’, and Browning’s principle constructs in ‘The Laboratory’ and ‘Pophyrias’s Lover’. Lady Macbeth (and Macbeth) are driven by the desire for ambition in ‘Macbeth whereas Browning projects two demonic constructs in the poems-‘The Laboratory’ and ‘Pophyrias’s Lover’, driven by murderous intentions as a result of their desire for power over others. Furthermore Shakespeare and Browning created their constructs under constrictions form their historical contexts challenging the views held by many at their times through the medium of desire by exploiting language, structure and form. Although these texts were written to their historical audiences the theme of desire for control upon others is still appealing to a contemporary audience.

Shakespeare was writing to a Jacobean audience in the Elizabethan era under the rule of James 1, arguably one of the most evil monarchs in English history. James 1 was obsessed with the idea of the supernatural persecuting thousands upon thousands of innocent women for allegedly being witches. Shakespeare typically wrote plays to delight the ‘nobles’ and ‘Macbeth’ was no exception. Shakespeare used the element of the supernatural as a catalyst for his construct, Lady Macbeth’s desire for power using it to fuel her ambition. This is demonstrated in Act 1 scene 5 in Lady Macbeth’s initial soliloquy where she states-‘Come you spirits...unsex me here and fill me from the crown.’ Immediately, from the reference to the supernatural Lady Macbeth would have been demonised in the eyes of a Jacobean audience. Furthermore, through the use of the word ‘unsex’ an unnatural sense of order would have been ignited around the character shocking a Jacobean audience as it went against the natural order of what it meant to be a ‘woman’ at the time. Lady Macbeth continues-‘...of direst cruelty; make thick my blood’, reinstating this demonic sense created via the semi-colon which emphasises the word ‘cruelty’. ‘Cruelty’ was a trait seen as masculine (at the time Shakespeare was writing), not feminine making a Shakespearian audience despise the character and consequently her desire. In addition, through the commanding and controlling nature of the statement-‘unsex me...make thick my blood’, we can see just how powerful and evil the force of the supernatural is. This would have pleased James 1.Lady Macbeth goes on to say after hearing the witches prophesy that Macbeth will be king that she is worried that he is ‘too full of the milk of human kindness’ which would unhinge her carefully orchestrated plan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending