The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Winchester university;whats it like?

has anyone gone to winchester? whats it like and how's the teaching program?
im considering taking the initial teacher training BA, just wanted opinions on winchester as a whole, accomodation, costs, experiences etc...:smile:
Reply 1
Bump. Id also love to get some opinions :smile:
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Original post by CharlotteB4
Bump. Id also love to get some opinions :smile:

Hello :smile:

i'm going to winchester uni in september to study history and archaeology.
the main reasons i fell in love with the uni is the fact that although its small you're treated as an individual and there seems to be a great community spirit.
also, the campus has had a lot of re-development recently with new student buildings and accommodation.
also the student union is supposed to be great
hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by at-the-beach
Hello :smile:

i'm going to winchester uni in september to study history and archaeology.
the main reasons i fell in love with the uni is the fact that although its small you're treated as an individual and there seems to be a great community spirit.
also, the campus has had a lot of re-development recently with new student buildings and accommodation.
also the student union is supposed to be great
hope this helps

Hiya,

Thanks for giving us your opinion on Winchester Uni its a great help :smile:
Reply 4
Hey,

I have just finished my first year and thought I would share my experiences. I study a fun subject called Accounting and Finance! :P

On my course, the academic staff are brilliant! They take student feedback seriously and will always try to implement new things to improve the learning experience. You have to put in the work and they will respect you more and what you have to say.

The SU is brilliant there. It's really cheap. There are a lot of Pubs in Winchester but only one club called Bar 3 One. I personally hate Bone but it is popular. Just don't drink the Vodka on tap.
The Pubs are brilliant, some cheap, some not so cheap (£7.70 for a double vodka and coke at the Green Man :O )

Campus buildings are constantly being improved. There are always building works going on and they work fast.

I lived in Queens, but I have visited West Downs and Burma. They are all good. Queen's have the largest rooms, Burma is the newest and West Downs, is well, just West Downs. Cost of accommodation is dependent on where you live. I paid somewhere nearly £4800 including a £20 fine. That's for 40 weeks and including en-suite rooms.

There is a lot of pressure to find housing for your second year somewhere in December or January. I would recommend waiting since there are still plenty of really nice houses now, rather than being rushed into finding a house.

Whatever you budget to live on, expect to spend at least 25% on top of your budget.

There are quite a few sports teams and I hear they are brilliant.

The uni is small, but has a very nice community feel. You get to know everyone. That's a good and bad thing, since if you do something really bad, news spreads fast.

Southampton is only a 15min journey on the train, so, if you want to mix things up a bit, go shopping in West Quays.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions :smile:
Hey,
Is anybody expected to be studying anything in the performing arts field? I've accepted my conditional offer for Theatre Production and would love to know who's studying it too. The course sounded pretty good from my interview etc but some second opinions would be cool from existing students?
Also just applied for housing in Queens, hope it's decent! Say hello if you've applied there too? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending