Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I went over to Taiwan and proclaimed and declared to thousands in the capital... watch

ReputationRep:
    If I went over to Taiwan and proclaimed and declared in the capital, Taipei, that Taiwan is an independent sovereign nation and should assert it's individuality as the Republic of China and not as part of the PRC and strongly encouraged the thousands who would now hear me that Taiwain should demand a position in the UN etc - what would happen to me?

(Presuming I climbed upon a skycraper so as to attract maximum attention and used a loudhailer/megaphone).

Would I be taken out by PRC agents? Would the Taiwanese authorities be angered that I am encouraging them to assert their sovereignty and individuality as separate from the PRC?

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine that nothing too serious would happen to you - Taiwan's a (nominally) democratic and pluralist 'nation' so you'd be free to speak for independence, re-unification or an alternative political settlement.

The current political consensus though appears to favour a gradual normalisation of relations between the ROC and the PRC with no clear indication of exactly what the final outcome for Taiwan will be. Given Beijing's refusal though to acknowledge the Taiwanese question as an external issue, I can see the current semi-sovereign limbo continuing for a good long while.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing would happen. You're saying what Taiwanese people don't mind hearing in Taiwan.

Say that in China and maybe something would happen.

Then again, being a foreigner, you wouldn't even be really looked at.

(also, what a silly question.)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.