Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Facebook privacy glitch - I can see who has unfriended me Watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking through my Facebook friends list for the first time in ages, I am seeing lots of people 'deactivated' and I have an option to unfriend them.

However, I know for a fact that one or two of these people deleted me from their friend list, and still have an active account (I just searched for a few of them).

Is this a privacy glitch from Facebook?

Can I really look at all the people who have deleted me from their friend list under the supposed guise of 'this person has deactivated their account'? Interesting.

I suggest you all try the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh yeah! Exactly the same on mine! I've always thought that they had deactivated but they still have accounts, very strange!

There must be some sort of facebook glitch, now i know who has been deleting me haha!

ReputationRep:
    Where is this? Do you just click your profile and then your 'friends'?

I'm pretty sure people would have unfriended me, but I can't see any 'deactivated' stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Where is this? Do you just click your profile and then your 'friends'?

I'm pretty sure people would have unfriended me, but I can't see any 'deactivated' stuff?
    Yes, just check through all of your friends. As you scroll downwards, more become available to see. If their profile picture is just a shadow (i.e. no pic), then that profile is "deactivated". If you click on their name, you get a message saying "this account is deactivated, you can unfriend them if you wish".

But if you searched for that person on Facebook proper (not your friends' list) then chances are you will see their profile is good and normal...with an option to 'add as friend'.

ReputationRep:
    Ah old stuff, just like looking at profile pictures that are blocked from public.

ReputationRep:
    these people are gonna ****ing regret deleting me. so angry right now

OP, how would you get someone back for deleting you on facebook?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Yes, just check through all of your friends. As you scroll downwards, more become available to see. If their profile picture is just a shadow (i.e. no pic), then that profile is "deactivated". If you click on their name, you get a message saying "this account is deactivated, you can unfriend them if you wish".

But if you searched for that person on Facebook proper (not your friends' list) then chances are you will see their profile is good and normal...with an option to 'add as friend'.
    Ah, found it

That's pretty cool. Now I can unfriend them... mwhahah..

ReputationRep:
    I use unfriend finder, though it's no longer available to new users. There's loads of other types out there though.

Doesn't really show much, as nobody's unfriended me since I cleared it a few months ago!

Thought it does show some examples of when it detected that friend requests were accepted:

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure these people haven't deactivated their old accounts and made new ones?

ReputationRep:
    You sure that they haven't just deactivated their accounts. I have only found a few of these deactivated accoutns with people I haven't spoken to in years. Hang on maybe you're right

ReputationRep:
    So, if you only notice they unfriended you on this way, it doesn't seem like it was worthy friendship anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Guys don't get mad at these people. I know for a fact those are deactivated accounts. They used to not add to your friends list but about half a year ago facebook made it so they do, leading to me gaining 20 friends from seemingly nowhere. If they still have accounts then they re-made them for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    Looking through my Facebook friends list for the first time in ages, I am seeing lots of people 'deactivated' and I have an option to unfriend them.

However, I know for a fact that one or two of these people deleted me from their friend list, and still have an active account (I just searched for a few of them).

Can I really look at all the people who have deleted me from their friend list under the supposed guise of 'this person has deactivated their account'? Interesting.

This can't be people who've deleted you, that'd mean my aunt unfriended me - must be a temporary glitch. I still get her stuff on my news feed

ReputationRep:

It's not a privacy glitch, it means that they've deactivated their account, got a new one and you're not friends with their new account. If they deleted you, they would disappear from your friends list completely, and there wouldn't be the option to unfriend them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    It's not a privacy glitch, it means that they've deactivated their account, got a new one and you're not friends with their new account. If they deleted you, they would disappear from your friends list completely, and there wouldn't be the option to unfriend them.
    I am sorry, but that is not true for at least 3 people I have encountered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    I use unfriend finder, though it's no longer available to new users. There's loads of other types out there though.
    I had this but it disappeared

I also had lots quite a few unfriends x2

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry, but that is not true for at least 3 people I have encountered.
    They're definitely separate accounts though, it makes no sense to have a deactivated account on one list which is the same as an active one in search results. Are you sure that they haven't just made their new profile look similar to their last one?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.