Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would China Ever Actually Invade/Attack Taiwan? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, any government move by Taiwan towards 'Taiwan Independence' is met by threat of military attack from the PRC (i.e. Big China - main China, what have you).

The PRC has also refused to renounce the use of military force in furtherance of the enforcement of its official policy (which is to reunify Taiwan and Mainland China under the formula of "one country, two systems") , especially in the event of Taiwan wishing to seek a declaration of independence.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Its possible.

ReputationRep:
    If China deemed it worth it then yes. And the sad part is the UN would try everything to avoid helping out.

I don't think China would see Taiwan as so necessary it would ignore the rest of the world; but I do not think China would be attacked in defense.

ReputationRep:
    Taiwan is part of PRC, anyway. Why would they need to invade it?

It's like the RAF bombing Edinburgh, what would be the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)

What? No, it isn't part of the PRC. If it was, then we wouldn't be be having this conversation. Taiwan is a separate country in all things but recognition. The PRC (Big China, the China we know) and ROC (Little China, Taiwan).

Why would China threaten to attack it, if it was part of PRC?!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't Taiwan have quite a reasonable army itself? So an attack probably wouldn't be worth it for China, if that's the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    What? No, it isn't part of the PRC. If it was, then we wouldn't be be having this conversation. Taiwan is a separate country in all things but recognition. The PRC (Big China, the China we know) and ROC (Little China, Taiwan).

Taiwan is a special administrative zone, in the same vein as Hong Kong.

Or are you going to proclaim Hong Kong is not part of PRC, too? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Modern political geography isn't your strong point, is it? I suppose dying in the mid-nineteenth century is a significant handicap in that respect.

ReputationRep:

Or are you going to proclaim Hong Kong is not part of PRC, too? :rolleyes:
    :lolwut:

No, it isn't, chap!

Check various official places etc. For example, let's go to where everyone else goes - Wikipedia! Or just, you know, check Google!

Taiwan is officially "the Republic of China"; Hong Kong, however, is officially "Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China".

Taiwan is NOT part of the PRC - even the Taiwanese would scoff at you. Right now, there is a political deadlock, sure, but ROC is not within the PRC. It is not akin to Tibet in PRC, not Scotland within the UK!

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't. Maybe you're thinking of Macau?

The PRC want Taiwan to be a special administrative zone, but unlike Hong Kong they do not actually control it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    No it isn't. Maybe you're thinking of Macau?

The PRC want Taiwan to be a special administrative zone, but unlike Hong Kong they do not actually control it.
    Yes, I got Macau mixed up with Taiwan.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I got Macau mixed up with Taiwan.
    Dear me, how could an intelligent chap like yourself confuse such? :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    Dear me, how could an intelligent chap like yourself confuse such? :hmpf:
    It is an easy mistake to make. Macau, a tiny enclave on the mainland with a tiny population of around half a million was peacefully handed over by Portugal. Taiwan has a population of over 20 million, is a very large island, famously fought against China's revolution to stay independent and for many years was China in the UN. Even the most astute of observers is likely to make an error over that.

ReputationRep:

Taiwan is considered by both sides to be an integral part of China. There is no disputing that. The argument is over whether the ROC government in Taipei or the PRC government in Beijing is the legitimate government of China as a whole.

If the PRC attacked the ROC then, in their eyes, they would be liberating the last stronghold of the old regime; in the ROC's eyes the PRC would be rebels trying to overthrow the rightful rulers. They do not consider each other to be foreign countries, merely opposing factions in a civil war. For all that they're often treated as such, there's no way that you can truly say the two are separate just yet.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible that the Chinese would attack Taiwan if the DPP announced independence as part of 2005 Anti-Secession Law of China. The problem is that Chiang didn't announce independence in 1949 when he could've done with ease, because he planned to retake China which obviously didn't happen.

I would say Taiwan is Chinese and a part of China, Republic of China. I don't see why you can't have separate country for the same race. People argue that Taiwan is a part of China and Chinese therefore should be unified but look at NI, Inner Mongolia, Manchuria and Tibet. Its not even a valid argue. Taiwan has been self governing for the past 60 years and was colonised by the Japanese for about 50 years, so there are some cultural differences perhaps big enough to be separate from the Mainland.

The problem is Taiwan is a small island with a limited military, it could probably only hold off China for a week or two and if the Americans don't come they're pretty much screwed. The US isn't obliged to help Taiwan other than to provide equipment under the Taiwan relations act. Therefore they must be careful with what they say and do to prevent an invasion from the PRC. I'd say maintaining the current status is the best it can do, self governing with de facto independence but not recognised. But as China is ever growing and becoming a threat even to the US, I can only say god bless Taiwan. Although if China attacks Taiwan unprovoked, I doubt the US, Japan, South Korea and Philippines would sit there watching.

Also the One Country, Two System that they proposed for Taiwan but practiced in Hong Kong and Macau is a giant con. Hong Kong was promised be unchanged for 50 years retaining its Capitalist and Democratic system, but they're facing massive pressure and are technically controlled by the CCP. You'll see by the latest policy passed in China stating that HK can't elect a head of state that is critical of the CCP.

The ideal situation would be to wait for China to catch up, economically and socially. Then maybe the government will open up like Taiwan, South Korea and Russia did, overthrowing the authoritarian and implementing a democratic system allowing the KMT and DPP back into China and opening up a system for more parties. But that's just a dream of mine. I wouldn't want Taiwan to get independence personally even after all the points I've made. ROC was a concept by Sun Yat Sen to overthrow the ruling Qing Emperor and shouldn't die out and be renamed to the Republic of Taiwan. However Taiwanese independence is better than being ruled by the CCP, freedom is priceless.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.