Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My best friend slept with a guy and now she won't make things work with his friend? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To get straight into, my female best friend (let's call her Sarah) is extremely close with one of my other friends (let's call him Sam). We're all in a close friendship group with 3 others (Katy, Jordan and Carl). Sarah and Sam are always flirting and joking about being in a relationship, but when questioned, they both say its a joke and they'd rule out a relationship because it would make things weird in the group. Whilst Sam was on holiday, we all went on a night out and Sarah got extremely drunk and went home with Jordan, who is best friends with Sam, and they slept together. Jordan is the type of person to sleep with anyone and everyone, regardless of who it is, but I or anyone else Didnt expect him to sleep with Sarah, nor did we think that about her. They didn't tell anyone and she only told me and another 'friend' a week ago. Well I say friend, she ended up telling Sam. Sam and Jordan spoke about it and put it in the past, because their friendship is a lot stronger than arguing over a girl, and Sam said he didn't care but he was just annoyed that no one told him because they thought it would upset him. But ever since he found out, he has been nothing but horrible to Sarah until the past couple of days. When they confronted each other, Sarah said she didn't want him to know because she genuinely does have feelings for Sam but there's nothing she can do about her actions. Sam also admitted similar feelings but he wouldn't get with her because she's slept with his friend, Sarah understood and they both said they'd just be friends, but it's obvious they both want to be together. I believe if you love someone and you have strong feelings, you should ignore their past and do whatever makes you happy. It is a bit weird that it's happened in a friendship group, that I understand but I can't bare seeing two of my friends unhappy! What are your thoughts on the situation?

ReputationRep:
    Crux of the matter is when she had feelings for Sam she slept with someone else. This tells you about a persons character.

ReputationRep:
    if they wouldn't be able to get past her sleeping with the other friend agreeing to stay friends is better than getting into a relationship that is doomed.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like something out of Hollyoaks.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone's boundaries need to be respected here. I totally understand where Sam is coming from. Sarah needs to accept the consequences of her actions - not that she did something 'evil', but obviously, sleeping with a guy's friend is going to put him off you. This is almost a fact. It's basic, it's fundamental. Despite that consideration, Sarah slept with Jordan anyway. She may like Sam, but she didn't like him enough to NOT sleep with Jordan. She has regrets sure, but sometimes you can't just take things back and expect other people to behave like it never happened. Sarah needs to accept that Sam doesn't want her now. She'll move on eventually and hopefully learn from this.

I think it'll all blow over.

ReputationRep:
    Flip the tables. Would she be ok and get into a relationship with Sam if he slept with one of the other girls in your group despite having feelings for Sarah? Probably not. As the others have said, if you like someone and they're single and available, its best to ask them out or initiate something rather than sleeping with their friend. In fact, sleeping with their friend is probably the worst thing to do in that situation. It might have not even mattered if it was someone outside the group. To be honest, I don't think there's anything serious between those 2, probably the typical "lets keep flirting, acting like we're together until we both find someone!"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.