Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure where to post this as it's not really an "everyday" issue...

today I was coming back from a paintballing trip with some of my girlfriends (we'd hired a bus), and I was sitting right behind the bus driver at the front of the bus. I have no idea how it happened but a car on the other side of the carriageway either hit something or had a tire blowout because it literally rose off the road and started barrel-rolling towards us. It cross over the central reservation and the entire front of it crumpled like paper. It stopped about 10 yards in front of us at the same time we stopped. I have never seen anything like it and I was honestly traumatised I couldn't believe my eyes it was like the car weighed nothing.

I dunno I went into auto-pilot and phoned the ambulance within 10 seconds of everything coming to a stop. I felt like such an idiot, I couldn't describe where we were on the carriageway as there were no features or landmarks nearby. The operator asked me if the people were trapped in the car but I said no because people had run to the car (one of whom I learned later was a nurse) and the doors had been pulled open without major force. Later on it turned out they were stuck because the fire brigade was called. I dunno was that my fault for saying they weren't? I feel like I did something wrong, not to mention how scarring it was to see the people and there was red on the road and stuff... argh. I just feel horrible about it..

I gave my details to the police after they spoke to me and the driver (no one else on the bus saw the accident happen because the blind was down over the window). I can't stop thinking about it and those poor people - they were an elderly couple. Has anyone else seen anything like this? what did you do? I can't concentrate and I can't help but wonder how the people are doing. Are they dead? I have no idea, there is nothing on the news.

ARGH god what a horrible day

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, two years ago I was involved in a head on collision; a 7-seater came skidding round a bend and smashed into my dads car (I was passenger), the combined speeds of vehicles over 120mph. It was thanks to the people that stopped and helped out (and more than a bit of luck) that made the accident much less serious.
    Your quick reaction in phoning the emergency services will no doubt have helped the situation. No matter the outcome you did your best in the circumstances, and you did exactly the right thing. Kudos, a lot of people might have frozen in shock and not done anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seyrose)
    I know how you feel, two years ago I was involved in a head on collision; a 7-seater came skidding round a bend and smashed into my dads car (I was passenger), the combined speeds of vehicles over 120mph. It was thanks to the people that stopped and helped out (and more than a bit of luck) that made the accident much less serious.
    Your quick reaction in phoning the emergency services will no doubt have helped the situation. No matter the outcome you did your best in the circumstances, and you did exactly the right thing. Kudos, a lot of people might have frozen in shock and not done anything at all.
    Holy **** man, good to hear you walked away from that. It was actually so nice how many people immediately stopped to help. A bunch of the older guys who came with us got off the bus and immediately started guiding traffic around the accident while I was on the phone, and then there were people at the car talking to the passengers.

Also I have no idea how I managed that phone call. As soon as they rang off I was like WTF and just burst out crying! The whole thing was horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaslug77)
    Holy **** man, good to hear you walked away from that. It was actually so nice how many people immediately stopped to help. A bunch of the older guys who came with us got off the bus and immediately started guiding traffic around the accident while I was on the phone, and then there were people at the car talking to the passengers.

Also I have no idea how I managed that phone call. As soon as they rang off I was like WTF and just burst out crying! The whole thing was horrible.
    Yeah, somehow I got off with nothing but a bruised arm. Not even a scratch! My dad was pretty much paralysed for a month with a prolapsed disc in his neck, but he's fine now. Yeah there was a lot of people that stopped for me too, I thought it was more surprising that some people just drove straight past without a second glance, over all the debris scattered everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be cursed with witnessing road accidents. A few years ago I was making a late night run to Asda. I came across a car which had left the carriageway and gone into a field. The car was upside down and had clearly rolled a few times. I stopped along with a another vehicle. The driver, the vehicle's only occupant, had been thrown out of the vehicle and was partially trapped underneath it. He, unfortunately, died at the scene.

My friend is a police officer and told me he had stopped the driver a few days beforehand to have a chat about his speed. On a very creepy note, he also stopped two girls to have a chat about their speed. Though and behold they were killed a few weeks later in an extremely nasty accident. We say that he is cursed.

On another occasion, I was heading south on the M1 when an HGV clipped a vehicle sending it spinning straight towards me. I managed to stop and the driver, while shaken up, was fine.

Don't stress too much over it. I have found that describing where one is to the 999 people to be quite hard. There are marker boards on the motorway (they are white and will say something like "M1 A 77") which are supposed to help the emergency services locate people... however whenever I have tried to relay this information, they don't seem to know what I am talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Oh man, do these incidents not leave you kinda scarred? I can't get the image of that car rolling and crumpling in the air out of my mind's eye. I've got a presentation tomorrow and needless to say this state of mind has stopped me from even being able to start on work for it!

Yeah I live in Northern Scotland where a lot of the roads are long stretches of nothing but field so all I really had to go on was that we were 20 minutes away from a particular city. There's only 1 motorway in Scotland as well and I'm not even sure if they have those markers! I guess in hindsight I didn't do really that bad because the ambulance came maybe 3 minutes after my phone call... it was just so hard to describe where we were! There were no signs or anything and I was really unfamiliar with it. To be honest even if it had happened on the carriageway near where I live I'd have a hard time describing locations. It's literally "the brown field" or "the green field".

Scottish backroads are notorious for being dangerous though :/ It's just one of those things I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaslug77)
    Oh man, do these incidents not leave you kinda scarred? I can't get the image of that car rolling and crumpling in the air out of my mind's eye. I've got a presentation tomorrow and needless to say this state of mind has stopped me from even being able to start on work for it!
    Not really - I feel for the people and their families, but it doesn't have an adverse affect on me. I just hope that I was able to help in some way.

You sound like you done great. You did the right thing - so well done!

ReputationRep:
    It must have been a terrible experience, just be glad you only witnessed it.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't do a single thing wrong, your exceptionally quick response and action to call the emergency services was fantastic. Probably the factor that got them there quickly, to be honest. You did absolutely the right thing. It's so sodding difficult to describe where you are even when you know where you are! I once broke down and had to describe where I was to the AA, even though I knew I was next to junction 12, M65, heading towards Preston, they still didn't understand where I was! So I wouldn't worry about that

Honestly, you did fab, not many would think to do what you did so quickly, I know I'd have sat there in shock for a good while before thinking straight. I hope you get to find out how the occupants are and hope it hasn't traumatised you too badly!

ReputationRep:
    I found a news article on the accident and both the passengers escaped life threatening injuries but had to go to hospital. The person in the front passenger seat had to get cut free because the front of the car was bent so far in on top of her (the fire engines came just before we left so I didn't know what happened after). So I'm guessing some broken bones or concussion or something similar anyways.

The police haven't contacted me for further statement or anything but I still don't really know what happened to cause the crash. The fact the people are OK has totally eased my mind and has made the whole thing much less traumatic in my mind. Just glad everyone walked away from it. Thanks for your comments guys - I don't feel like phoning the ambulance was something out of the ordinary and I imagine if it wasn't me it would have been someone else. I would hope if I'm ever in a similar situation where I needed help, people would help me the way everyone rushed to help the people in the car!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.