Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you're taking A-Level Chemistry, can you please tell me:

1) How hard are you finding it?
    2) Is it interesting?

Because I'm still a bit undecided on my 4th A-Level :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to take it this September, but from what i've heard you shouldn't take it as a fourth A level because you think you need one, only take it if you love it.
    If you're good at it in GCSE (A/High B grades) then even though (apparently) it's a big step up and quite challenging, it's supposed to be good.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A2 at the moment, and i'm really enjoying it! It is hard work though, i completely messed up my AS , only getting a D, because i did nooo work, now ive resat some modules, and fingers crossed i can get an A overall. So i would recommend it, just work hard throughout the whole year, don't just memorise, actually understand!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)

2) Is it interesting?

It isn't as hard as people make it out to be, especially if you are willing to put the work in for it from the very start.

I would suggest making notes after every lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    It isn't as hard as people make it out to be, especially if you are willing to put the work in for it from the very start.

I would suggest making notes after every lesson.
    This. It's actually the most interesting of my a levels and compared to gcse chemistry it's quite enjoyable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)

2) Is it interesting?

Hiya
    I do OCR AS Chemistry and I love it I make notes after every lesson and do revision cards and stuff so I would say I do quite a bit of work out of lessons. However, I find it easier than biology personally (I do physics and find that the most difficult)
    It's really interesting, you do organic and inorganic chemistry, I find both really interesting, inorganic is quite mathematically based in places.
    Overall it's a great subject and I love it but be prepared to put the work in to get the top grades (I'm aiming for an A* at the end of A2)
    oh and there is this little bit called 'resources' that can be quite dull but it's not too bad...it's all global warming and stuff...
    But yes I love it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    If it's your undecided A-Level then I wouldn't bother taking it. I do it at AS with AQA and I got an A (just) in my January module. I got an A in Chemistry at GCSE. You have to be quite devoted to get good grades and I didn't put in as much effort towards January exams as I am doing for these June exams. It's a step-up, and there's a lot to remember and lots of application but if you think you can seriously spend your free time doing proper, solid revision then you can take it.

I take Bio, Physics and Maths alongside of it.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is really interesting, but really hard too like all A level subjects it requires a lot of effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    Hiya
    I do OCR AS Chemistry and I love it I make notes after every lesson and do revision cards and stuff so I would say I do quite a bit of work out of lessons. However, I find it easier than biology personally (I do physics and find that the most difficult)
    It's really interesting, you do organic and inorganic chemistry, I find both really interesting, inorganic is quite mathematically based in places.
    Overall it's a great subject and I love it but be prepared to put the work in to get the top grades (I'm aiming for an A* at the end of A2)
    oh and there is this little bit called 'resources' that can be quite dull but it's not too bad...it's all global warming and stuff...
    But yes I love it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Is it OCR A? That's the one i'm doing, how have you done so far?

ReputationRep:
    Learning some concepts properly in chemistry can take a while but if you are committed you will do well. I find it the hardest of the A-levels I'm studying, harder than physics and maths in my opinion at the moment. But that's mostly because I prefer those subjects. If you enjoy chemistry you're more likely to do well.

ReputationRep:
    If you grasp scientific concepts quickly Chemistry isn't too hard, and it is very interesting. The Maths isn't bad at all either. There is a lot of learning facts, but so I hear not nearly as much as Biology.

ReputationRep:
    I really didn't like GCSE chemistry, but i took it as I was considering doing medicine and I knew that was an absolute requirement. I got an A* at GCSE but I only cos I revised really hard for it, at the time I thought it was the hardest science. Now I love it! It is a lot of hard work to get your head around some of the concepts, I never really understand anything during the course until about a month before the exam then suddenly everything clicks and makes sense! once it does click it's hard to remember not being able to do it The exams are pretty factual recall-y or applying a known technique to solve moley stuff, which I find way easier than all the "how science works" questions in biology (even though i think biology is easier to understand at first). I hated moles at GCSE, now they're my favourite bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    Is it OCR A? That's the one i'm doing, how have you done so far?
    yep
    I'm finding it really good, I didn't do any jan exams though, just revising for summer now

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    yep
    I'm finding it really good, I didn't do any jan exams though, just revising for summer now

How about you?
    Yeah its okay! Have to say its my least favourite though :P I scraped an A in unit1 so I'm trying to do better in unit 2

Good luck in your exams!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.