The Student Room Group

Maths or biology?

I am currently in Year 12 at sixth form and studying Maths, F Maths, Biology, Geography and Physics.
I have looked at universities and courses but I am undecided between Maths and Biology.
I know I have a while to decide but would look any advice possible. I enjoy the plant science bit of biology, enjoy my lessons and find it interesting. Therefore I think I would like to do it at university.
However I also quite enjoy maths, specifically I have quite enjoyed statistics and so I could also do a degree course in that.
I know there is a combined maths and biology course at southampton which looks quite good and I would be happy to apply to both courses except for it would be very dificult to write a personal statement for this so it is probably better that I pick one to write for.
Maths is also a lot more employable compared to Biology but then that probably shouldn't affect my choice.
Does anyone think they can help?
Reply 1
A lot of Biology courses require Chemistry so you would have to put that in mind when deciding.
Original post by speedstar_mm
I am currently in Year 12 at sixth form and studying Maths, F Maths, Biology, Geography and Physics.
I have looked at universities and courses but I am undecided between Maths and Biology.
I know I have a while to decide but would look any advice possible. I enjoy the plant science bit of biology, enjoy my lessons and find it interesting. Therefore I think I would like to do it at university.
However I also quite enjoy maths, specifically I have quite enjoyed statistics and so I could also do a degree course in that.
I know there is a combined maths and biology course at southampton which looks quite good and I would be happy to apply to both courses except for it would be very dificult to write a personal statement for this so it is probably better that I pick one to write for.
Maths is also a lot more employable compared to Biology but then that probably shouldn't affect my choice.
Does anyone think they can help?

How are you finding Maths atm? Bearing in mind that A2 maths is much harder than AS maths, and stats is just 1 module of it (compared to 4 core modules).

Maths I think would look better on your application than Biology but it would depend on what you were doing, if I understand what you've written correctly, then if you want to apply for a maths (or joint maths) course at uni, then you will DEFINITELY need maths, and you have to keep in mind that maths at university is very different to the maths which you do now at A level (this is just what I've been told by people, I'm in the 2nd year of sixth form so) :smile:
Reply 3
@TobyHam I've seen that Chemistry is useful but I didn't take it as I didn't really enjoy it and I think I can still get in to a biology course without it. I hope at least!

@AAnythingoo1 I'm finding it ok, some of it quite difficult, I'm not the best at maths. I plan on still doing both at A2 and dropping Physics. I'm just not sure which of maths or biology I should do at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending