Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    edit: I am fine with this now. thanks!
    Hello there, I am having problems with part d) of this Integration question:

'a)Show that the normal to the curve y=x2+6x+5 at (-2,-3) have the equation 2y+x+8=0

b) Find the coordinates of the point where the normal cuts the curve again.

c) draw a sketch of the curve and line

d) show that the area enclosed between the curve and line it (125)/(48)

Name:  sdqdqdqwdwqd.png
Views: 78
Size:  7.5 KB

What exactly do I need to integrate and what limits do i need to take? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Draw two verticle lines from the points of intersection to the x-axis, is it clear how to do it now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    Draw two verticle lines from the points of intersection to the x-axis, is it clear how to do it now?
    I was doing that but then if we take area that area and the larger area below the axis are we not left with more than just the area below the curve? This is where I am getting confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    Hello there, I am having problems with part d) of this Integration question:

'a)Show that the normal to the curve y=x2+6x+5 at (-2,-3) have the equation 2y+x+8=0

b) Find the coordinates of the point where the normal cuts the curve again.

c) draw a sketch of the curve and line

d) show that the area enclosed between the curve and line it (125)/(48)

Name:  sdqdqdqwdwqd.png
Views: 78
Size:  7.5 KB

What exactly do I need to integrate and what limits do i need to take? Thanks in advance.
    I think you need to use the formula for finding the area between a curve and a line = y1 - y2

Basically you do the equation of the line minus the equation of the curve : simplify and get a single equation , intergrate it

then the limits you use are the two x-values !

ReputationRep:
    I was doing that but then if we take area that area and the larger area below the axis are we not left with more than just the area below the curve? This is where I am getting confused
    The area that is found is enclosed by the x axis and curve in integration. If your graph was upside down it would work the same way.

ReputationRep:
    Hm?

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  46.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    I think you need to use the formula for finding the area between a curve and a line = y1 - y2

Basically you do the equation of the line minus the equation of the curve : simplify and get a single equation , intergrate it

then the limits you use are the two x-values !
    I was integrating the curve from -5 to -1 and integrating the line from -9/2 to -2

then I was subtracting the values that I got by integrating. But some how I am not getting the answer they are wanting me to show

ReputationRep:
    Find the area between the curve and the x-axis using integration, find the area between the line and the x-axis (forms a trapezium) and then minus. Upside down they work exactly the same way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aznkid66)
    Hm?

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  46.7 KB
    I think i was taking the wrong limits when integrating the curve

do we take the limits from -4.5 to -2 ?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, you are to integrate both from -4.5 to 2, as that will ensure you don't have the stuff "more than just the area below" that you previously mentioned :P

(Also, you can combine the two integrals I(u)-I(v) into I(u-v) since the terminals are the same.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.