Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble deciding where to study Mathematical Finance this year. I hold offers from Warwick, Manchester and UCL (well I have received an offer from Leeds as well, but I'm just not even considering it).

Looking at the programs of each university, my favorite is Manchester by a mile. Pretty much covers the most important matters, it's very well balanced and organised and it has a substantial mathematical component, more than other degrees of similar nature.

I'm aware of how good Warwick is in financial mathematics, and the good reputation UCL has. The thing is:
    1. Warwick's tuition fee is just crazy. I could afford it, but I have the feeling their program is just like everyone else's. Perhaps I'm wrong.
    2. UCL has renowned international reputation and is one of the best unis in the world, but I can see all over the internet that financial maths is not really their strong point.

Question is: do you think I'd be taking a 'bad' decision if I choose Manchester over Warwick or UCL, given the points I have explained? Should I go for Warwick or UCL instead? I'm a mess.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    If I have to rank this based on my personal choice, i'd do it this way:

Warwick > Manchester > UCL

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend Warwick or UCL, as these generally seem to be considered among the best alternatives for a career in finance in the UK, together with Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial.Could you please share your academic background? I will be applying to these institutions this autumn. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    For what kind of career are you planning to work for? Trading?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Warwick or UCL, very well respected. For Investment Banking, you stand a great chance if you pick either of the two. Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It depends entirely on the career you want afterwards. If your sole focus is a job, then go for UCL. It has the reputation and also the location. Further, they have recently opened (jointly with LSE, Imperial, LBS) the Centre for Computational Finance.

Despite the "concerns" about the UCL course, it won't be poor. It may not be top like their law or economics degrees, but it's still going to be a strong performing course with great career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mekornilol)
    Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble deciding where to study Mathematical Finance this year. I hold offers from Warwick, Manchester and UCL (well I have received an offer from Leeds as well, but I'm just not even considering it).

Looking at the programs of each university, my favorite is Manchester by a mile. Pretty much covers the most important matters, it's very well balanced and organised and it has a substantial mathematical component, more than other degrees of similar nature.

I'm aware of how good Warwick is in financial mathematics, and the good reputation UCL has. The thing is:
    1. Warwick's tuition fee is just crazy. I could afford it, but I have the feeling their program is just like everyone else's. Perhaps I'm wrong.
    2. UCL has renowned international reputation and is one of the best unis in the world, but I can see all over the internet that financial maths is not really their strong point.

Question is: do you think I'd be taking a 'bad' decision if I choose Manchester over Warwick or UCL, given the points I have explained? Should I go for Warwick or UCL instead? I'm a mess.

Thanks guys!
    I'm *one of the students at UCL MSc FM (first year, you would be the second if u went) send me your skype details if u wanna talk.*

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I made some research because I also want to study Finance and now I am struggling to decide whether I ll go to LSE or Cass. I suggest you to take out of your choices UCL. It is not as strong as the other two and it doesn't have strong links within the financial services.

Warwick has excellent links and this is one of the reasons it is so expensive. You pay for the chance to get a well paid job because of the uni's network.

Manchester is also good but not as good as Warwick. After all at the initial screening of your CV the reputation of your uni is very important. HR people will know the name of your uni but not the particular programme content.

Hope it helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.