Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After school I'm quite keen on moving to Scotland and if my grades are good enough hopefully Glasgow. I was wondering, Students in Scotland go to uni a year earlier than in England so if I wanted to join people in my age group would this be possible? Could I skip first year of uni and if so how good would my grades need to be at A levels compared to Highers.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you go on to the Glasgow university website it would state the requirements for second year entry, I'm not sure about English schools but I know for Scottish it is around BB for advanced highers or some sort.

Plus, i don't think we go a year earlier, it's just our cut-off points are different so most will be younger but you will have older people in the course, not all will come straight from school.

ReputationRep:
    In Scotland we CAN go to uni a year earlier, for example I left after my 5th year of secondary. However, most people stay the full 6 years so you definitely would be with people your age. In fact, I'm the only one in my year as far as I know that has come straight from 5th year at school and the class range is 17 (me) to 19 or even 20.

Also, you should be able to see what grades you need for second year entry on the Glasgow Uni website or possibly on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the replies, are there many people from England up there, I'm actually mostly scottish but born in England so going up north is like returning to my spiritual homeland haha.
    I have cousins the same age so was just wondering if I'd be in the same year as them.

Also are the fees for outsiders as bad as they make out?

ReputationRep:
    In addition to what's been said above, once you get to uni there really isn't that much difference between people who are several years older / younger. I'm a year older than many of my friends, having taken a gap year, and it doesn't make any difference.

ReputationRep:
    Some subjects offer second year entry, check the prospectus and website Also, there's always a range of ages, and a mix of nationalities, so you arehighly unlikely to be in a class full of 17 year olds. Scottish students can start at uni after their Highers, but lots at Glasgow have stayed on to do Advanced Highers, but even then they can still matriculate shortly before their 18th birthday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Monk)
    Cheers for the replies, are there many people from England up there, I'm actually mostly scottish but born in England so going up north is like returning to my spiritual homeland haha.
    I have cousins the same age so was just wondering if I'd be in the same year as them.

Also are the fees for outsiders as bad as they make out?

There are loads of English students and lots of international students, at least in Edinburgh but I'm sure that it will be the same in Glasgow.

As for fees, it will vary from university to university. Check the website, it'll have all the information that you need. Unfortunately though, the fees are pretty high for the rest of the UK compared to students from Scotland and the EU!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.