Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being massively insecure: do you ever get over it? Watch

I was with my ex-boyfriend for about 6 months and we were really happy together. However, he has a big problem with feeling insecure around me due to things that happened early on in our relationship. We ended up having a huge argument around a month ago about him being distrustful and quizzing me on where I had been on a Friday night. This basically ruined our relationship and he eventually admitted that he can't cope with the insecure feelings that he has when I go out with male friends on nights out. We broke up because of this.

I was just wondering if anyone has had these kind of trust/insecurity issues with their partner before and if they ever managed to get over them if they were reassured enough? I want to move forward now, but I'm wondering what to do if I come across somebody who shows the same signs as my ex did. Should I end it before it starts?

ReputationRep:
    I think you can reassure someone people, it depends how bad their trust issues are.
    Some people will just never trust you and it's something only they can work out on their own.

ReputationRep:
    One of the questions here is what happened early on in the relationship?

This could be *anything* and hence the failure/success of your future relationships is based on how you deal with the situation you haven't fully explained.

Source: a guy who is massively insecure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you can get over it. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing you hurt him early on, but both decided to carry on with the relationship. If you want to be with this guy, then you'll need to give him time to fully trust you again - this is normal. But if you don't want to be with him, don't use his insecurity as a way to get out of the relationship without being the "bad guy". There's no shame in wanting out of a relationship, as long as you do it honourably.

ReputationRep:
    It's the sort of thing you can support someone with but they really need to learn to validate themselves unfortunately, else he'll still be insecure as he'll feel his self-worth is tied to you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.