Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to lose muscle mass if you stop lifting for a while?
    I froze my gym membership so that i can focus more on revision and i'm scared of having to start all over.
    Is it possible?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Your muscles need to be worked regularly or they will certainly start wasting away. You shouldn't have to start RIGHT from the beginning (although this depends on how long you've been away from the gym for, of course) but it is likely that you would have to take a bit of a back step.

ReputationRep:
    Took me just over a year to lose most of it. I went for a year & a half almost everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaux)
    Took me just over a year to lose most of it. I went for a year & a half almost everyday.
    Did you look more 'flabby' ? Sorry, i'm just a bit worried

ReputationRep:
    No, just a bit thinner ^^.

I should note that I still keep a healthy diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink lipstick)
    Did you look more 'flabby' ? Sorry, i'm just a bit worried
    As long as you keep your diet healthy you shouldn't gain fat. You may lose strength, but if you want to focus on your studies and are sure you can't do both then unfortunately that's the price you have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    It's good to be focusing on your studies. Summer holidays will be enough time to get back into shape anyways. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaux)
    It's good to be focusing on your studies. Summer holidays will be enough time to get back into shape anyways. Hope this helps.
    You should really be able to take an hour out of your time 3x a week to go the gym.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownError)
    You should really be able to take an hour out of your time 3x a week to go the gym.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it was only an hour sure. atleast half an hour in prep or travel either side so I'd say its at least 2 and a half hours each evening. In my experience anyway. That after a day at college or w.e leaves not a lot for everything else. Depends on your circumstances
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Pink lipstick)
    Is it possible to lose muscle mass if you stop lifting for a while?
    I froze my gym membership so that i can focus more on revision and i'm scared of having to start all over.
    Is it possible?
    You lose muscle much faster than you gain it, actually.

The bigger issue here though is why are you giving up? Cutting down is entirely understandable, but exercise is actually good for concentration etc - breaks for the gym 2/3x per week probably help revision, not hinder it.

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking that if you built muscle up, have to take a break from the gym and loose some muscle mass it is much easier to gain it again than from the beginning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footy88)
    Am I right in thinking that if you built muscle up, have to take a break from the gym and loose some muscle mass it is much easier to gain it again than from the beginning?
    Yes, unless the break was huge (like a year).

We did it in a lecture, can't remember it exactly but when you lose muscle, the nuclei of something still remains - so you can build the muscle up quicker. However, these nuclei slowly disappear over time if you don't train. Can't remember exactly what it was, need to go over it before my exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    Yes, unless the break was huge (like a year).

We did it in a lecture, can't remember it exactly but when you lose muscle, the nuclei of something still remains - so you can build the muscle up quicker. However, these nuclei slowly disappear over time if you don't train. Can't remember exactly what it was, need to go over it before my exams!
    Cool, was a bit worried that after all the upper body muscle I've put on, will lose it when I go on hikinh holiday in june for 3 weeks.
    Anything I can do to minimise muscular atrophy in this time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footy88)
    Cool, was a bit worried that after all the upper body muscle I've put on, will lose it when I go on hikinh holiday in june for 3 weeks.
    Anything I can do to minimise muscular atrophy in this time?
    You may lose a bit, do some body weight exercises whenever you get a chance while you're there. Just some press ups etc, nothing too intense. A good diet will probably be the most important thing though and will really help maintain body mass. Otherwise three weeks isn't too bad and you can definitely get it back once you start training again, without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    If you do just making muscle and not having proper diet that it ain't show positive effect on your body.
    So you need to have balanced meal and good proteins...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.