The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGoldenRatio
if it was only that then why were u complaining :p:p:tongue:

You had to do part b first!
come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
does anyone wanna go through some M3 past papers with me on the phone?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
you in yr 12? I'd say trig functions like inverse trig functions and addition rule, double angle formula, (but these are given in the formula booklet under the C3 section), C3 differentiation has never come up so I don't think we'll need to know it.

yes well year 13 im from northern ireland i assume its the same :smile: ix only seen 2 past paper questions on it so ill just hope it doesnt come up i suppose
Original post by matthew mc I
yes well year 13 im from northern ireland i assume its the same :smile: ix only seen 2 past paper questions on it so ill just hope it doesnt come up i suppose

The trig stuff's not that bad tbh, it just takes a day to learn, which I did today :tongue:
Reply 165
Original post by matthew mc I

I hate to say it, but don't forget Sod's Law - if you don't revise something, it'll come up. My school told the Sociology people they weren't going to teach a topic because it never comes up, and of course it did in the exam - none of them could answer it. Having said that, the questions I have seen with C3 knowledge in there have actually been more than one way to do them, and there's always one way that doesn't require the extra knowledge :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 166
How difficult is M3 compared with M2? I found M2 quite difficult at first, but I feel quite confident after doing some past papers & solomon papers. I'm wondering if I should do M3 as it is optional for me to do it next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 167
Original post by ljh950912
How difficult is M3 compared with M2? I found M2 quite difficult at first, but I feel quite confident after doing some past papers & solomon papers. I'm wondering if I should do M3 as it is optional for me to do it next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say study it as it is interesting, i started learning it and S3 but my jan exams didn't go so well so i scrapped M3.
Reply 168
Original post by ljh950912

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I understand it is quite a step up, but I haven't studied it myself, sorry! Someone in school did it and definitely noticed the difference in difficulty, but if you put the work in it's certainly doable :smile:
Can anyone tell me if this is correct?
When question say:
Scenario 1:

Given that A and B collide again

There is a further collision

Then you need to do this:
Work out new speed of B = let it equal X
Speed of a from previous part = let It equal Y
This mean that you need to to X > Y

Scenario 2:

Given.. P is reversed by collision

Find Range of values of e

V1 < 0
Leaving answer in the forn
X < e < 1
When question say:
Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

V1 < 0
X < e < 1

For the second one if they've already told you that it will be reversed by the collision couldn't you just put this into your diagram to begin with and then use when V1>0? I'm not too sure how to explain it really :-/
Original post by MathsNerd1
For the second one if they've already told you that it will be reversed by the collision couldn't you just put this into your diagram to begin with and then use when V1>0? I'm not too sure how to explain it really :-/

im baffled my self i need some help Geniuses of the world
Reply 172
When question say:
Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

V1 < 0
X < e < 1

Just as a note, e can also be equal to 1.
Original post by Zaphod77
Just as a note, e can also be equal to 1.

yess i think we all should know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue:
Reply 174
Anyone have goodsites for learn work, energy and power - the edexcel book doesn't explain it well. I tried examsolutions, and it didn't work for me.
Reply 175
Hey guys,

When you're suspending a mass with a string or just suspended it at a point and it is in equilibrium, can you take moments from absolutely anywhere and expect it to equal zero or is there a specific place?

I see on mark schemes that you need to take moments from certain points but I don't understand why they're picking those points.

Thanks in advance

Edit: this is for M3 but I think it applies for M2 as well.
Yes, if it's in equilibrium the (vector) sum of moments about any point is zero.

Sometimes you pick a point to take moments about because it eliminates unknown forces - e.g. say you have an unknown force F, if you take moments about the point of application of F then its moment is zero (zero perp. distance from pivot) so you eliminate it.
Original post by KD35
Hey guys,

When you're suspending a mass with a string or just suspended it at a point and it is in equilibrium, can you take moments from absolutely anywhere and expect it to equal zero or is there a specific place?

I see on mark schemes that you need to take moments from certain points but I don't understand why they're picking those points.

Thanks in advance

Edit: this is for M3 but I think it applies for M2 as well.

You can take moments from anywhere.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
The trig stuff's not that bad tbh, it just takes a day to learn, which I did today :tongue:

ok thanks might just learn it on wednesday :smile:
Original post by Zaphod77
I hate to say it, but don't forget Sod's Law - if you don't revise something, it'll come up. My school told the Sociology people they weren't going to teach a topic because it never comes up, and of course it did in the exam - none of them could answer it. Having said that, the questions I have seen with C3 knowledge in there have actually been more than one way to do them, and there's always one way that doesn't require the extra knowledge :smile:

that would ne a nightmare. yea i think ill look over the trif identities chapter in a c3 on wednesday to just get me and idea how to use them if the come up. hopefully they dont and its a very basic straight forward paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending