Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an Edexcel R.E exam next month (Catholic Christianity) I don't really have much trouble on revising for my other subjects; for some reason R.E is just one of those subjects that I'm unsure of how to revise for. So, what are your own methods on effectively revising for R.E?

ReputationRep:
    Might help if you told us which religion it was.

I just did Christianity and, personally, the 2 things I didn't revise for was English and RE because I didn't have a clue on how to revise them. =l

Although, my RE course was half a GCSE and the other half came from Citizenship of which I got a B in both.
    Now in year 13, I couldn't tell you anything I learned in both. =l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Might help if you told us which religion it was.

I just did Christianity and, personally, the 2 things I didn't revise for was English and RE because I didn't have a clue on how to revise them. =l

Although, my RE course was half a GCSE and the other half came from Citizenship of which I got a B in both.
    Now in year 13, I couldn't tell you anything I learned in both. =l
    Catholic Christianity, and then my second R.E exam is Mark's Gospel. Yea I know, I don't really understand how others end up doing it

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're really clear on any theories you have to know- like if you're supposed to know the ontological argument, make sure you can use it in an exam question as it will impress examiners. Also try to learn all the "posh" names for stuff
    Also make sure you have lots of teachings to use, ranging from the generic "love thy neighbour" to specific topic-related ones.
    I don't know what exam board you're on but I'm on OCR and making your essay structured with clear viewpoints and your own viewpoint is essential, if there's any past papers you can find, it might be worth planning how you would answer the long answer questions.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I have an RE exam as well (but I'm doing a different syllabus) and to revise, I'll be revisiting the Christian teachings to ensure I understand them but then I'm going to try and memorise some quotes for each of the topics. Also, remember to do past papers!

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    R.E is really different in my school, it's more philosophy and religion's views, it's really easy and doesn't take any revising really, just remember to put in theist's view atheist's view your view and stuff like that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to..

ReputationRep:
    I think we are doing the same exam, are you doing unit 3 on the 13th may? I can message you some resources and ways I have been revising although I haven't really spent much time on it as I have other subjects I need to revise for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenshades)
    I have an Edexcel R.E exam next month (Catholic Christianity) I don't really have much trouble on revising for my other subjects; for some reason R.E is just one of those subjects that I'm unsure of how to revise for. So, what are your own methods on effectively revising for R.E?
    Revise directly from mark schemes and do loads of exam practice I would also say draw up a table to memorise the key terminology effectively (so one column could be 'term' and the next could be 'definition'). If I remember correctly, in the exam paper question a) asks you to define the key term. This is what I did and I managed to get an A*, so my main revision method would definitely be past papers!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Mind maps helped me a lot. As did reading from all the resource materials my teacher gave me. Make sure you know Catholic views on a range of topics, and perhaps other religions to make a comparison (I don't know if this is relevant for Edexcel so check with your teacher!)

For essay technique, reading the past papers and their markscheme. Your teacher should be able to provide you with an exemplar essay to help you further.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on whether you prefer more visual or kinaesthetic revision methods generally...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasmine.)
    Make sure you're really clear on any theories you have to know- like if you're supposed to know the ontological argument, make sure you can use it in an exam question as it will impress examiners. Also try to learn all the "posh" names for stuff
    Also make sure you have lots of teachings to use, ranging from the generic "love thy neighbour" to specific topic-related ones.
    I don't know what exam board you're on but I'm on OCR and making your essay structured with clear viewpoints and your own viewpoint is essential, if there's any past papers you can find, it might be worth planning how you would answer the long answer questions.
    Hope that helps
    Wow thanks, you really have helped Are you doing an R.E GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojotheflower)
    R.E is really different in my school, it's more philosophy and religion's views, it's really easy and doesn't take any revising really, just remember to put in theist's view atheist's view your view and stuff like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lucky Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmp97)
    you don't need to..
    Unfortunately I'm the kind of person that does - I'd rather not take the risk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangee123)
    I think we are doing the same exam, are you doing unit 3 on the 13th may? I can message you some resources and ways I have been revising although I haven't really spent much time on it as I have other subjects I need to revise for.
    Yep! That's pretty cool lol And thanks, I'd appreciate that a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherindigo)
    Revise directly from mark schemes and do loads of exam practice I would also say draw up a table to memorise the key terminology effectively (so one column could be 'term' and the next could be 'definition'). If I remember correctly, in the exam paper question a) asks you to define the key term. This is what I did and I managed to get an A*, so my main revision method would definitely be past papers!

Good luck
    Okay, awesome! I'll definitely search up for a few past papers and mark schemes then Thanks so much, and congrats on the amazing A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    Mind maps helped me a lot. As did reading from all the resource materials my teacher gave me. Make sure you know Catholic views on a range of topics, and perhaps other religions to make a comparison (I don't know if this is relevant for Edexcel so check with your teacher!)

For essay technique, reading the past papers and their markscheme. Your teacher should be able to provide you with an exemplar essay to help you further.
    I'm not always the kinda person who works well with mind maps, but I could always try using a few every now and then I don't think it is necessary but I'll still check haha! Thank you for the advice ^.^ It seems like you've already taken your exams - is it possible for you to tell me what grade you got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouGotSerbed)
    Depends on whether you prefer more visual or kinaesthetic revision methods generally...
    I know, but I'm asking how you yourself revise

ReputationRep:
    when i did R.E there were soooo many key terms to learn, so I put all the definitions to the tunes of my favourite songs at the time. It worked wonderfully- made them really easy to remember and put me in a great mood in the exam, cos I was just singing answers to things in my head to myself.
    could be worth a try if you feel like it would help you, too?! good luck! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojotheflower)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We're following the OCR syllabus which, in my opinion, seems much stricter than yours. We were told that we shouldn't do an atheist's point of view and to include generic statements such as Christians believe other religions are wrong (but instead say that Christians believe that the only way to the father is through the son) because you would not have needed to have studies RE to have known something like that. :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.