Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys :-) I'm due to start an access to HE course(mature student(20)) in September(Health&Social), and then study MH Nursing at Uni. I was wondering if there's any decent study materials out there for this course? I haven't come across any, as of yet. I know I have 5 months until the course starts, but I wanna geek out before the course starts.Thanks in advance :-)

ReputationRep:
    Woo hoo another fellow geek!

I am also really keen and asked my college for a reading list. They said not to buy these books but you could get them at the library.

Human Biology - Mike Boyle and Kathryn Senior/Collins/ISBN: 0007135998
    Structure and Function of the Body – Thibodeau Patten/Mosby/ISBN: 0323022421

If you'd like to buddy up for tricky questions along the way, I'd be happy to do so. I really want to get distinctions to get me in to the best Uni that I'm possible to go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi both,
    im so glad u posted this . im due to start in sept aswell. been a long time since ive studied but so looking forward to starting. i want to start reading before course starts, so will def see if library has those books hun.

best part is getting to go stationary shopping, just like high school lol now i am a geek lol

have u guys thought about any volunteer work? finding it really hard to find anything relevant to care nursing around at mo, any advice xxxx

ReputationRep:
    How old are you Kirst? I haven't studied for 11 years, so went to my local college n I'm doing my functional skills, it's free!

I was worried as I'm 28, had a couple of different careers but been in banking the last 6 yrs and the last 3 in managerial positions, I reduced my hrs to 3 days a week and have taken a care in community job, they always need carers which is giving me the basic care skills and also an insight to care in the elderly. Thoroughly enjoying it but working 6 day weeks n studying on Monday evenings is tough.

You can also volunteer at ur local hospital, I started with the application but am so busy, I don't think I could manage this as well so will look at it again in September when I quit banking, caring can be really flexible around my college course and makes writing assignments during the placement module a lot easier.

Get the books off eBay or biblio, I got mine for under £9, used but hopefully in good nick sorry for the long post, just mega excited, hope it helps x x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'll definitely check those books ou. I'm so excited for September, & I can't wait to start applying to Unis around October time! I'll definitely be getting those books for now, just to touch up on the subjects. Have you both decided what unis you want to go to, etc? What type of nursing are you both looking to do?

In regards to volunteer work, I'm a volunteer on the wards at my local acute psych unit

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into Southampton, Cardiff, Oxford Brooke's, Birmingham & UWE. Need to start going to open days n it also depends a lot of grades, really need a lot if distinctions if I want Southampton.

Glad I could help. Have you chosen your options, in regards to sociology v psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably looking to do surgical or cancer care. What are you thinking of doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which college are you doing the course at? I myself am interested in this path. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Mental health nursing :-)

ladders, I'm doing the access course at Gloucester College

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.