New Medlock house Watch

caporegimes
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
anybody moving in this year?
anyone already living there or have lived there?

I would appreciate any thoughts and experiences..of your stay there or whether you are looking forward to it.

I move in this August sharing with 3 other people. Would like to get to know a few others who are...
charlib
Report 12 years ago
hey,
i lived in halls that were owned by the same people (Unite) the halls were really quite nice, there were some problems that we had- mainly with the management of the place but all in all it was an ok time, i ended up in park view which was further out than i would have liked to have been but New Medlock is in a great location- both for getting to uni after a late night out and also getting home from the bars etc you should have a great time- also student village isnt far away from u either
the_mars_volta
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are you in Park View? So am I! I think it's quite a good location. But apparently living anywhere with UNITE you have to fight to get your deposit back - which is certainly the case in our flat. I was put with dodgy flatmates who smoke this weird Indian **** a lot and they've made about a dozen burns in the carpet in the communal area. Also, one of them must have thought it would be funny to punch(?) a hole in the ceiling in the hall. BOTH of those things have nothing to do with me, but unfortunately I'll have to pay it out of my deposit. Is is anything like that in your flat?
charlib
Report 12 years ago
hey yeah i was in park view last yr, i moved out early so i got my deposit back but... they will try as hard as they can not to give u it back!! my other flat mates didnt get theirs back for ages and they tried to charge us for everything including stuff that was broken when we had moved in.
parspooky
Report 12 years ago
Hey Im movin in on August..
Isn't it a good place to live??
:eek: Oh, I'v already placed the deposit...
Guess, I'll hav 2 live there..
RP1
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by parspooky)
Hey Im movin in on August..
Isn't it a good place to live??
:eek: Oh, I'v already placed the deposit...
Guess, I'll hav 2 live there..

Anyone at New Medlock/victoria halls want to swap rooms with me at Wilmslow Park?
MissInnocence
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by RP1)
Anyone at New Medlock/victoria halls want to swap rooms with me at Wilmslow Park?

i lived here this yr and to be completely honest...as a first yr i didnt like it at all cuz it was way too quiet! there were alot of 2nd and 3rd yrs here who jus wanted to get on with studying (which is what we're all here for)...but it doesnt make it a great experience for freshers. if u want a quiet, independant place to study, you will like it here...but if you are looking for a better social scene...my experience wasnt very gd....great location though!
ashakaur
Report 12 years ago
hey,

I'm moving to manchester this year but I have loved at Unite accomodation in Birmingham and quite honestly I feel sorry for anyone who is going to be living with them. They are riduclously expensive!! And charge riduculous amounts of money...I know, like the others,I have to fight to get my deposit back.

Also their tenancy agreements are way too long, 51 week contracts now! Andon top of the ridiculous rent prices, and deposit charge they have now added a utility charge!

We've actually started a petition but dont know if its going to get us awywhere! Not that it matters to me because i will never live with unite again.
tigger1430
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Some UNITE accommodation still offers the shorter contracts though, I understand not all of them and you should still be able to have the choice, but you never know it may be the only financially viable option for them at this moment in time. They won't have done it out of spite, it could be because there is more demand for the longer tenancies than there are for the shorter ones, across the whole board of UNITE accommodation.

I am living with them, and granted they have messed up a couple of times, once putting me on the shorter contract with less payments when I wanted the 51 week contract (because I have a job at uni during the summer) and I wanted the maximum payments to spread the cost! But its nothing that can't be sorted is it? Nothing to cloud my experience yet...although I'm not in the halls yet!

I agree I don't think it would be a good place for freshers but I don't think that is who they are marketing themselves at. Freshers should really try and get university owned accommodation (if they can, I know local students can't in some unis) because then you get the whole experience for at least your third year. I am personally going into UNITE for a quiet atmosphere and proximity to my campus because I am going into my third year (one more to go after that!!!)

I've heard bad things about UNITE since booking but I think its only the bad things that get broadcast so that is all you hear. I lived in an OPAL hall in my first year and I heard so many bad things about them, and OK although they weren't GREAT! They weren't bad either, I wasn't expecting silver service, so it depends...are you a moaner or do you make the most out of things??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads