The Student Room Group

(OCR F211 HELP) Do I have enough time to go from a C to an A in F211

Okay I hate this module in Biology, it's so dry and boring. I think F212 is better (still awful, but good as far as biology goes)

How should I revise for this? My exam is on the 21st of May so six weeks time. How much should I do a night for it?

Spoiler

Reply 1
Original post by upthegunners
Okay I hate this module in Biology, it's so dry and boring. I think F212 is better (still awful, but good as far as biology goes)

How should I revise for this? My exam is on the 21st of May so six weeks time. How much should I do a night for it?

Spoiler

Hi there, I personally hated this unit as well. I did it the first time in June 2012, and ended up with a C. I then re-took this exam in January and got an A (87/90) ums. I think it is SO much easier doing it a second time, things stick in faster and you understand it more. I revised it in 3 days, but that's because I remembered a lot from the first time I sat it. I suggest u spend a week fully completing revision for it, by going over things again and again in your head and then just stick to as many past paper questions as possible. The things u didn't know, memorise the markscheme and it will add to your revision/ knowledge. I recommend papers from like 2004-2007, as they are more likely to reaccure. I did this for the retake and at least 12 marks worth were repeated exactly.
Reply 3
Heyy i think you could still get an A!! coursework will bring you grade up aswell! most people tend to do better on retakes i HATE OCR too! :frown: i got an E in my cells, exchange and transport exam in january :/ when i was predicted a B, this was a major blow! I'm retaking this but should i focus more on the re-take than the next module or not because F211 is worth more percentage wise and how can i prepare more for the harsh mark scheme as i did loads of past papers but still got an E :s-smilie: x
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by upthegunners

Spoiler

Yes you have plently of time, well maybe not plenty, but enough to go from a C to an A. I used the CGP AS & A2 complete revision and practice specified for the OCR board for revision in preparation for my jan exam in 2013. And I got an A. Its really not that expensive and is well worth it, if you use the book properly you can get a decent grade. When I first started this course in September 2012, I was like I'm gonna fail like hell I am, and I got a D for my mock. Then within the last month before the exam, I got this book and just memorised every single page, and could recall the information off by heart the day before the exam. When I got my results in March, I was ecstatic and thought my A was quite well-deserved. So my point is it is never too late to actually sit down and do some productive revision where your actually getting the information into your head.

If your not the memorising type of person and cant deal with a lot of information, i can understand cos not everyone's the same. Then go through the textbook and make annotated spider diagrams for every single heading/topic and make sure you cover every point on the spec. Then when your done with your spider diagrams, keep going through them and use your notes to answer past paper questions. After a while, stop using your notes and do timed past papers. Spider diagrams are really good for visualizing a lot of information and sort of helps with chunking/categorizing the info. Cos I know how much bloody content there is, trust me I know :rolleyes:. And then when it comes to the day of the exam, you'll be able to recall the information and put it straight down as your answer.

Good luck with your revision and hope you do well in your exam!!!

Also can I just emphasize that time is not the issue here, of course revision is about putting hours and hours of hard work (blood, sweat and tears) into getting the information into your head. But it doesnt have to be that day, if you just do 2 hours at start and do productive revision and focus only one or 1 or 2 topics a day/a week. You can gradually increase the number of hours and then over time you'll have less topics to cover.

Yeah so time for me to shutup...hope my advice was useful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending