(Edexcel) English Language and Literature Thought-Sharing Thread Watch

Frapps
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by brimstone)
We did an essay on courage for our coursework Pretty easy
I'm sure there was something else I added...
Oh yeah, when the teacher is scared of a mouse, all the boys in the class rush to her aid. Although this may not only be courage, but a show of Souther Manhood protecting their women :s:
Yeah, that makes sense
Pity I don't really remember this episode very well... lol... I was probably asleep when we read this bit... Anyway! lolol... But now I'm regretting it. Oh well...
See you in a bit
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Frapps, that was fantastic. You must have some kind of flair with poetry Could you help me a bit with Death of a Naturalist too?
Frapps
Rep:
?
(Original post by Excalibur)
Frapps, that was fantastic. You must have some kind of flair with poetry Could you help me a bit with Death of a Naturalist too?
Do I? Lol, it doesn't seem so, with my exam results. I will do so as soon as possible, I'm trying to do as you said, go through the book, writing down key quotes... Let's hope this works, eh! I'm still in Chapter 5, so I'm quite worried! But it's life... Have you much to get through yet Excalibur?
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Frapps)
Do I? Lol, it doesn't seem so, with my exam results. I will do so as soon as possible, I'm trying to do as you said, go through the book, writing down key quotes... Let's hope this works, eh! I'm still in Chapter 5, so I'm quite worried! But it's life... Have you much to get through yet Excalibur?
Well, the thing with Lit is that you never know if you've done enough! I'm fairly confident with the Identity poetry, some more than others (I hate The road not taken, there's nothing to write about regarding language!). To Kill a Mockingbird I'm okay with, Inspector Calls I'm a bit more iffy. I've done a lot of work but I'm still feeling insecure... that's what I hate about English and Literature; I enjoy the analysis of language to a certain extent but it's the feeling of not feeling confident enough that throws me.
Frapps
Rep:
?
Exactly, I really don't feel confident AT ALL for any of the parts (poetry, novel, play...) I'll just do my best! By the way, Excalibur, do you think you could talk about Not My Best Side? I'd be really grateful! The thing is, I never 'tap out' the important bits of that poem! Would really appreciate your help!
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry, I didn't have time to give you info about Not my best side... but it didn't come up anyway! How did it go, Frapps (and others who did Edexcel)? Which questions did you do?

I did the Mirror/Warning question, and for TKAM I did the "Is Atticus or Scout the more important character" one, and for An Inspector Calls I did the 'is the play a moral lecture/murder mystery/ghost story?" one. I think it went reasonably well.
stephen_1990
Report 12 years ago
What did you write about mirror and warning?

Although I knew both poems quite well I found it hard because i didn't consider the the theme of ageing in mirror before.
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I don't think I did too well on it, to be honest :p: I said that the main difference is that Mirror portrays old age as a negative thing, while Warning make it seem positive. For Mirror, I said that the mirror was an extended metaphor and the short syntax make it sound unemotional and blunt, like its nature, and while the mirror was able to acquire the depths of a lake in stanza 2, the woman couldn't and she 'drowned' in her misery. Then I said a bit about the fish simile, that it conveys how old age is just lurking beneath the surface but will one day inevitably spring on you. For Warning, I said that the exuberant and vibrant colours make her sound assertive and confident, and shows how she is determined to overturn conventional stereotypes and expectations. I also said that Plath touches on social expectations in Mirror too, in that society puts pressure on woman to be beautiful, and the woman's agitation comes from the fact that she can no longer live up to that expectation. Or something. I phrased it really stupidly though so I don't think it sounded right... gawd this is depressing. Anyway how did yours go?
Frapps
Rep:
?
Hey! It's okay, too late now anyway! But it might come up in the other poem... I only went to bed at 2am and got up at 7.30am so I am sooooo tired, and only got home now. The exam went terrible, of course. I have no idea whether I did well or not. On the poems, I didn't really know what to say about Mirrror and wasn't feeling too confident on that one, so I did the one on Still I Rise and I chose to compare it with Warning also. I tried my best! I said they both were about self-assertion, compared them etc etc, you know, all the usual stuff.
TKaM, I chose the importance - Scout or Atticus. I kind of concluded that neither one was more important than the other, they simply had different roles. Atticus is the main character out of all of them (except Scout), whose function is to bring about themes of the play. I talked about courage, about how other characters, such as Calpurnia, Dolphus Raymon, Miss Maudie, Aunt Alexandra, Mrs Merriweather brought out the novel's theme, and it was Scout's function, as a retrospective narrator, and through a child's eye, to present these events. I also said that it was probably H Lee's intention to allow the reader to judge and discern, hence Scout's innocent and unprejudiced and somewhat naive character. Another example to prove this is the fact that even though the Lynch mob, we could say the men were evil, or so they seemed, even Atticus believes they were just misguided, and friends were still our friends (I didn't put this friends bit in though), so this all served to give different viewpoints ultimately for the reader to decide.
By the time I got to A View from the Bridge, I didn't really know what to say! lol So I just blabbered on different events that generate 'dramatic tension' in the play... Anyway.
Btw, how much did you guys write? I did about 3 sides and maybe some more lines for each question.
I hope it went well for all of you! Mind you, I feel completely exhausted.
Oh, an I'm sure I made plenty of spelling mistakes... But since it doesn't really count in the Literature paper, I couldn't care less... I kept repeating the words insuppressible and irreprissble (I think I used them for the same thing, even though they mean different things!) for the poems... Hopefully the examiner will understand what I mean?????? I hope... Lol
Give me your news!
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It sounds like you didn't do terribly at all I think you made all those points about TKAM that I didn't make :p: I don't think mine was that good, really. I said Scout is arguably more important because everything is told through her eyes, and her innocent naivety provides a source of humour (eg malapropism of 'morphodite'). But I went on to say that Atticus is the more important character because he embodies so many themes in the novel, especially of courage, justice, fighting against prejudice etc. Then I said the lessons Atticus teaches to his children, eg for Jem on courage and for Scout on empathy. Finally, I said that the whole novel was a bildungsroman that mapped Scout's learning experience, so it is arguably a novel about her, but on the other hand, it is Atticus who provides the learning experience for her so he is more important. In the conclusion though I didn't directly answer the question with "yeah I agree" or "they're equally important" or anything, so I'm not sure if I answered the question properly now Oh well, no point brooding on it now!

Anyhoo, after we chill out a bit, let's get back to those poems for the English exam....!!
Frapps
Rep:
?
I think neither of us is write or wrong We just interpreted the question in different ways. Remember, it was quite vague, it said "Atticus is more important" or something, and it really depends on what you take "importance" to be, so I think you also did rather well we just interpreted the question differently which I think (and pray!!!) is perfectly fine! Because, you have to admit, it was pretty vague. As long as you argued your point and gave your judgement succintly and with coherence then you (and me) will be fine!
In this we were "in synchrony" : "Finally, I said that the whole novel was a bildungsroman that mapped Scout's learning experience, so it is arguably a novel about her, but on the other hand, it is Atticus who provides the learning experience for her so he is more important", except I also talked about other characters who also provide other learning experience, but Atticus is the most important out of all of them (with the exception of Scout, who can't really be grouped, as she is the narrator, if you see what I mean).
I wish I could (metaphorically) burn my Anthology right now instead of having yet another exam with it! Btw, do you happen to do the 'Different Cultures and Traditions" stories for the Language exam?
Frapps
Rep:
?
BTW - I can't wait to get my grade back!!!!!! hahahahaha
If I do get a good grade (the chances are slim...), it will be funny, as I am not choosing English as my 'main' language next year... So no more answering questions about novels, poems, or any other studied texts in exams!!! Instead, I will do this in Portuguese (which I hope will be nicer.....) My English teacher is upset about this, he says I'm one of the best students in the class; however, with constant Bs in exams I demoralised and just gave up on English. It used to be one of my favourite subjects before though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (145)
38.36%
No - but I will (21)
5.56%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (184)
48.68%

Watched Threads