Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if I could have some help.
    I achieved 9 A's and 2 B's at GCSE. I was absolutely gutted on the day as having worked really hard and believing the exams had gone well I thought I had achieved 6 A's and 5 A*'s. If I had actually achieved the results I'd been hoping for then this would have given me really good grounding to apply to do History at Universities such as Newcastle and Manchester.

I still want to to study History at a top Russell Group University but is this unrealistic given my GCSE grades. This year at AS I am hoping for 2 A's and 2 B's minimum. I say minimum because I do not want to get my hopes up as I did last year only to be disappointed on results days.

If I were to achieve 2A's and 2 B's combined with my 9 A's and 2 B's at GCSE, would this be a solid enough grounding to apply for Newcastle, Manchester, Bath etc or should I be looking more at Universities such as Leicester and UEA etc.

I have also taken part in lots of extra curricular outside of school which I guess might help my UCAS application. I play the violin (I have my grade 5) take part in strings and orchestra. I also play tennis and do ballet every week. In addition I have my bronze arts award, my bronze D of E and am currently doing my Gold D of E as well as volunteering several hours extra that needed every week. I have also taken part in the local MUNGA (mock united nations general assembly) and have been a L6th prefect. I also have a weekend job.

Thank you for reading this.

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    ive just applied to uni this year, i think your grades are more than good enough! from my experience, uni's are more bothered on your predicted a level grades than anything else. most of the open days said if you had the predicted a level grades they would make you an offer, without looking at a personal statement. if you look on uni website's for entry requirements the only specific gcse they would perhaps want for history is maybe a B in gcse english language (i applied for law at exeter and this was the case).

i know maybe 3 yrs ago my cousin applied to bristol and had to have so many A*'s at gcse, but in my applying process have seen no such problem

good luck, try to get the best you can at AS!

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs are fine, as long as you meet the minimum criteria (usually C grades in English and Maths, sometimes higher depending on the course) your GCSEs shouldn't hold you back. You got mostly A grades, I'm sure you already know the answer to your own question.

ReputationRep:
    Only Oxbridge/LSE look for top GCSE grades, for certain subjects, whereas russell group unis only look to see if you've passed. And seeing as your doing history they'll probably only care f you've passed GCSE English, even that if nothing

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help. This has reassured me quite a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LK_London)
    I was wondering if I could have some help.
    I achieved 9 A's and 2 B's at GCSE. I was absolutely gutted on the day as having worked really hard and believing the exams had gone well I thought I had achieved 6 A's and 5 A*'s. If I had actually achieved the results I'd been hoping for then this would have given me really good grounding to apply to do History at Universities such as Newcastle and Manchester.

I still want to to study History at a top Russell Group University but is this unrealistic given my GCSE grades. This year at AS I am hoping for 2 A's and 2 B's minimum. I say minimum because I do not want to get my hopes up as I did last year only to be disappointed on results days.

If I were to achieve 2A's and 2 B's combined with my 9 A's and 2 B's at GCSE, would this be a solid enough grounding to apply for Newcastle, Manchester, Bath etc or should I be looking more at Universities such as Leicester and UEA etc.

I have also taken part in lots of extra curricular outside of school which I guess might help my UCAS application. I play the violin (I have my grade 5) take part in strings and orchestra. I also play tennis and do ballet every week. In addition I have my bronze arts award, my bronze D of E and am currently doing my Gold D of E as well as volunteering several hours extra that needed every week. I have also taken part in the local MUNGA (mock united nations general assembly) and have been a L6th prefect. I also have a weekend job.

Thank you for reading this.
    My nephew has got offers for - amongst others - Birmingham and Reading to read history - and his GCSEs were something like BBBCCCCDDD. And he is on his 4th year of A levels - ie he is doing some retakes for the third time. So don't worry. I reckon you could try for some of the top unis in the country ( I think Birmingham is one of them isn't it)

ReputationRep:
    Universities usually have a requirement from A-C grades.

ReputationRep:
    I think as long as you meet their minimum requirements (this depends on the course, but there are generally requirements for English and Maths GCSEs) you'll be okay.

GCSEs come more into play when they really can't choose between you and another candidate for a place (so you're equal in terms of A Levels (or equivalent) and personal statement).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.