Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question about the solomon papers for the core units, are they supposedly harder or of equal difficulty in comparison to the actual exam? My tutor recommends them instead of past papers, but is there any actual difference in difficulty? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afc4l)
    Just a quick question about the solomon papers for the core units, are they supposedly harder or of equal difficulty in comparison to the actual exam? My tutor recommends them instead of past papers, but is there any actual difference in difficulty? Thanks
    They are quite a bit harder. So if you manage to do most of the solomon papers, you will ace the exam. But this was in my days, which was like 4 years ago, not sure if exams have gotten harder or easier.

ReputationRep:
    Paper A easiest paper L hardest (think that's the last one)

So yes they're definitely harder after about paper C

Do them in order

ReputationRep:
    Thats really encouraging, thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    They're harder than the regular past papers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by raiden95)
    Paper A easiest paper L hardest (think that's the last one)

So yes they're definitely harder after about paper C

Do them in order
    This isn't true. It is a myth that is perpetuated on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Personally I think they are slightly harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    They are quite a bit harder. So if you manage to do most of the solomon papers, you will ace the exam. But this was in my days, which was like 4 years ago, not sure if exams have gotten harder or easier.
    Exams have definitely gotten harder recently

ReputationRep:
    I did all the solomons running up to my C1 exam and it worked, the exam was tough but a little easier than a solomon paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I remember doing C2 last year, for C2 they are actually as hard or harder
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Namige)
    Personally I think they are slightly harder.
    I agree they are a bit harder than the actual papers. I was saying the letter A, B, C etc does not denote their difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I agree they are a bit harder than the actual papers. I was saying the letter A, B, C etc does not denote their difficulty.
    Look at the first and last paper in a set of solomon papers, they do look different in difficulty to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    Look at the first and last paper in a set of solomon papers, they do look different in difficulty to me
    yeah but that doesn't account for the middle set , ive found that some of the later solomon papers are easier than the first ones ( this is for C1 )

btw , where could i find C2 solomon papers ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    yeah but that doesn't account for the middle set , ive found that some of the later solomon papers are easier than the first ones ( this is for C1 )

btw , where could i find C2 solomon papers ?
    Assuming you're not self taught i'd presume your tutor would be able to get you some if not i wouldn't know sorry buddy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afc4l)
    I strongly disagree. I'd say first do ALL past papers. Then do the Solomon papers as they are slightly harder, so you have to build up some confidence.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by .raiden.)
    This isn't my opinion. It is a fact.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.