Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all im planning on doing an access course which will get me on to biomedical science degree then planning on applying for medicine as a graduate.

I only have C's in gcses but I had a lot going on at the time and could have defo got A's.

How hard is Medicine? Will I struggle? Last thing I want to do is drop out because its too hard..

thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davekhan)
    Hi all im planning on doing an access course which will get me on to biomedical science degree then planning on applying for medicine as a graduate.

I only have C's in gcses but I had a lot going on at the time and could have defo got A's.

How hard is Medicine? Will I struggle? Last thing I want to do is drop out because its too hard..

thank you
    the content isn't hard, especially if you're an A student at alevel youll be fine content wise, BUT there is ALOT to know and it can be tedious and like a lot of 'memorising' as they say.

ReputationRep:
    hello there , first thing i wanna tell you that medicine is HARD , but if you will struggle the only person that can answer that is you because just like any other degree you are going to have to put in the time and effort to get good grades. That being said , although hard it is not impossible otherwise the world would not have had any doctors.

Why can't you apply to medicine straight after your access course instead of doing the long route ? Entry into graduate courses is not a guarantee as it is so MUCH tougher getting into it than 5 year courses. I myself had to apply twice and i only got into a 5 year program and this is with a 1st class degree in chemistry and i have a friend who applied 3 times and she has a 1st and A's and B's at A level and only got a 5 year offer....

I think you should honestly think through this very carefully about this and be realistic. Maybe do A levels instead and do some of your gce's over ? Call an admissions officer to get some advice on what to do maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissA)
    hello there , first thing i wanna tell you that medicine is HARD , but if you will struggle the only person that can answer that is you because just like any other degree you are going to have to put in the time and effort to get good grades. That being said , although hard it is not impossible otherwise the world would not have had any doctors.

Why can't you apply to medicine straight after your access course instead of doing the long route ? Entry into graduate courses is not a guarantee as it is so MUCH tougher getting into it than 5 year courses. I myself had to apply twice and i only got into a 5 year program and this is with a 1st class degree in chemistry and i have a friend who applied 3 times and she has a 1st and A's and B's at A level and only got a 5 year offer....

I think you should honestly think through this very carefully about this and be realistic. Maybe do A levels instead and do some of your gce's over ? Call an admissions officer to get some advice on what to do maybe.
    Because there are only a few SPECIFIC access courses which are actually tailored for going on to medicine which are called access to medicine. and they are very far away from me.
    The one im planning on doing is access to science which is biology and chemistry at level 3 so A level standard but unis do not recognize it.

Im actually currently re-sitting Biology, Chemistry Maths and English GCSES this year.

I did 1 year of Alevels when I left school but I failed badly with three U's because I was really ill and to get straight on to the 5 year programme unis expect you to complete A levels within 2 years or even with extenuating circumstances they want like 2 AA'S and a B stuff like that.

When you say you had to apply twice, do you mean you applied one year and then had to apply again the next year or can you do it twice in a year? Also did you apply to the same unis 2nd time round and what do you think improved your chances of getting on to the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maik13)
    the content isn't hard, especially if you're an A student at alevel youll be fine content wise, BUT there is ALOT to know and it can be tedious and like a lot of 'memorising' as they say.
    One thing Iv'e always wondered unis require chemistry A level for Medicine, but is there alot of chemistry involved because I would have thought its all about the body and diseases etc.. how much chem is involved?

are you a med student?

ReputationRep:
    Because there are only a few SPECIFIC access courses which are actually tailored for going on to medicine which are called access to medicine. and they are very far away from me.
    The one im planning on doing is access to science which is biology and chemistry at level 3 so A level standard but unis do not recognize it.

Im actually currently re-sitting Biology, Chemistry Maths and English GCSES this year.

I did 1 year of Alevels when I left school but I failed badly with three U's because I was really ill and to get straight on to the 5 year programme unis expect you to complete A levels within 2 years or even with extenuating circumstances they want like 2 AA'S and a B stuff like that.

When you say you had to apply twice, do you mean you applied one year and then had to apply again the next year or can you do it twice in a year? Also did you apply to the same unis 2nd time round and what do you think improved your chances of getting on to the course?
    My I am very sorry to hear about your circumstances OP, however I can see your delima here but its good that you are persisting with your dream and asking for advice. Well in my case, the 1st time i applied was in my final year of my degree. I was going thru a lot of personal issues, was homesick and my father had been in a work related accident so i was kinda depressed when i was applying. Also to top it all off I had some issues with my research prject as i wasnt getting the results i needed and my dissertation took a lot of my time. I honestly didnt think my application was as strong because when i read through my 1st personal statement it had really sucked. So I called/emailed the unis and asked for feedback , and that really helped me loads when applying the 2nd time round especially when it came to my personal statement. Despite my hardships i was fortunate to graduate witha 1st and improved my UKCAT score by about 40/50 points or so. All of that together had helped me to get a stronger application. I did reapply to 2 of the same unis and 2 different ones. My UKCAT score was avg and i had poor A levels so i had to be very wise in my choices of application.

You can only apply to medicine once a year, and the application deadline is 15th of October. No you cannot apply through clearing.

I honestly think you should consider which type of degree you are going to do as your 1st degree. Maybe you should not only look at biomed but maybe radiography for example. You get an nhs funding and pretty much guarnteed a job after grad and also get higher pay than the avg grad. Also you can work partime in med school which wud be ideal if you go and do the 5 year programme. My friend who did biomed and who is now doing med said that biomed is irrelevant for studying med, two comepletely different courses. There are people ho did english and history degrees who went on and did med and do well.

Anyways OP I honestly think you should seriously have a thought about this. Why not move to wear they are offering the access courses thatthe unis would accept ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissA)
    My I am very sorry to hear about your circumstances OP, however I can see your delima here but its good that you are persisting with your dream and asking for advice. Well in my case, the 1st time i applied was in my final year of my degree. I was going thru a lot of personal issues, was homesick and my father had been in a work related accident so i was kinda depressed when i was applying. Also to top it all off I had some issues with my research prject as i wasnt getting the results i needed and my dissertation took a lot of my time. I honestly didnt think my application was as strong because when i read through my 1st personal statement it had really sucked. So I called/emailed the unis and asked for feedback , and that really helped me loads when applying the 2nd time round especially when it came to my personal statement. Despite my hardships i was fortunate to graduate witha 1st and improved my UKCAT score by about 40/50 points or so. All of that together had helped me to get a stronger application. I did reapply to 2 of the same unis and 2 different ones. My UKCAT score was avg and i had poor A levels so i had to be very wise in my choices of application.

You can only apply to medicine once a year, and the application deadline is 15th of October. No you cannot apply through clearing.

I honestly think you should consider which type of degree you are going to do as your 1st degree. Maybe you should not only look at biomed but maybe radiography for example. You get an nhs funding and pretty much guarnteed a job after grad and also get higher pay than the avg grad. Also you can work partime in med school which wud be ideal if you go and do the 5 year programme. My friend who did biomed and who is now doing med said that biomed is irrelevant for studying med, two comepletely different courses. There are people ho did english and history degrees who went on and did med and do well.

Anyways OP I honestly think you should seriously have a thought about this. Why not move to wear they are offering the access courses thatthe unis would accept ?
    There is a couple that I have in mind but they require A-B'S in gcses but I only have C's but I am re-sitting this year and will hopefully will apply to the access courses next year.

Aww im sorry to hear about you having difficulties, but at least you came out on top and now you are also following your dream.

Is the Ukcat hard? I heard you cant revise for it, what actually isit like what sort of questions is it based on?

what Alevels do you have and at what grades? and what was your first degree?

ReputationRep:
    There is a couple that I have in mind but they require A-B'S in gcses but I only have C's but I am re-sitting this year and will hopefully will apply to the access courses next year.

Aww im sorry to hear about you having difficulties, but at least you came out on top and now you are also following your dream.

Is the Ukcat hard? I heard you cant revise for it, what actually isit like what sort of questions is it based on?

what Alevels do you have and at what grades? and what was your first degree?
    You should check out this thread as i have provided a very detailed answer to some of your questions on here. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...265&p=42051968

I did the sciences and english and only got D's and C's. Including a D in chemistry but as I said I went unto uni and got a 1st in Chemistry but that required very HARD work, dedication , resiliance, prayer and I have a passion for chemistry. A levels was a really hard time for me, I was really unhappy and was going thru some personal stuff during that time so did not do as well as i probbaly could have. But honestly OP i think when you are chooisng a degree you have to choose wisely, choose something you love rather then something EVRYONE is doing and be realistic about it also.

EDIT: So why did i get negged for this , when I was just answering a question that OP asked me ?

ReputationRep:
    it really depends on your academic ability and how well you do in access course and obvius you biomedical science degree. have you considered the 6 year medical route or access to medicine course?

ReputationRep:
    One thing Iv'e always wondered unis require chemistry A level for Medicine, but is there alot of chemistry involved because I would have thought its all about the body and diseases etc.. how much chem is involved?

are you a med student?
    From what I have heard there isn't alot of chemistry in Medicine, but because it is so competitive, a science and chemistry is meant to be the most demanding and difficult alevel, it'll show one has the ability to cope with complex stuff. Out of the alevels on offer, the most relevant are biology and chemistry.
    Some Unis only require AS. I know someone who did just AS and is at East Anglia.
    Barts say you have to have one of the two at A2 and the other has to be atleast a B if you drop it for A2.
    Cardiff ask both AS bio and chemistry and either for A2.
    Durham require Chem or Bio at A

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

ReputationRep:
    From my 3 years at medicine this is what I feel:

Medicine is not hard, but it is!

In terms of difficulty of content, I reckon if you can get B grades at A Level you will be able to grasp the content well. Its the amount you have to learn that makes it difficult! At the end of the year on study leave you will ask yourself how on earth will you remember everything. Individually each lecture isnt challenging, but collectively it is! This is where you commitment and passion will drive you through!

If you are a self motivated, someone who enjoys learning and have a level of intellegence (dont have to be a genius!) then you will certainly be able to do the course! Getting in however is totally different matter :/. But in your suggested route for entry, if you can get a 2:1 in your biomedical science degree there's no reason why you will find medicine too hard.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    There's no guarantee that you will get into medicine via the graduate course, the competition is fierce, worry about that when you come to it, for now concentrate on smashing your exams and putting yourself in the best possible position you can.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.