Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anyone else not revise and cram Watch

ReputationRep:
    Last year I didn't really go to lectures or even open up a txtbook during the year but I cram for a week before the exams and it works a charm. Now i'm in the second year kinda worried it wont work lol anyone else like me or am I weird?

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha it's risky im doing alevels and don't really revise till the week before. Your not weird must just be naturally clever haah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Company Commissar)
    Last year I didn't really go to lectures or even open up a txtbook during the year but I cram for a week before the exams and it works a charm. Now i'm in the second year kinda worried it wont work lol anyone else like me or am I weird?
    What subject you doing?

(Original post by xxchloexo)
    Hahaha it's risky im doing alevels and don't really revise till the week before. Your not weird must just be naturally clever haah
    This is what I did for A Levels 2 weeks absolute tops, never earlier. I don't understand why people start so early.

ReputationRep:
    I know right if i start early i forget it all again by the time the exam comes anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I know right if i start early i forget it all again by the time the exam comes anyway!
    I feel the same. Also, revising gives me anxiety about the exams to come so I'd rather wait until closer to the time, after I've gotten these 2 essays out of the way, so I can have less time to worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sliceofcake)
    I feel the same. Also, revising gives me anxiety about the exams to come so I'd rather wait until closer to the time, after I've gotten these 2 essays out of the way, so I can have less time to worry about it.
    Yeah, i feel that i revise better closer to the exam when im more stressed about the exam because im fully concentrating then. Im suppose to be writing an essay but i missed all the stuff as i was snowed in so no idea what im doing haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jobseeker92)
    What subject you doing?

molecular biology

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's great. Some people need less time than others to do the same amount of revision.

I always imagine the "I revise for 8 hours a day" people to be sat there with facebook open, texting their friends, mind wandering as they gaze out of the window, snacking on junk food; and the revision they do do is mostly unfocused reading, mindless note-taking, reorganising everything and making it all look pretty. Although I acknowledge that I might be completely wrong about these people, I'm just saying that's how I imagine a lot of people revise.

Myself, I spend most of my revision period reducing stress, getting plenty of sleep, eating healthily, exercising; and the revision I do do is more focused on trying to really understand the subject, rather than seeing how many facts and figures I can remember. For example, I doubt/question everything I read. Another example: I try to explain things to people who know nothing about the subject. Or I have an imaginary conversation.

That said, it probably depends on what you study. Also, I don't perform nearly as well as I potentially could in exams, but that's because I'm a slacker and I can't think of any reasons to work harder, so I don't.

ReputationRep:
    To people who say they forget everything if they don't revise a week before, it is not because revising early is ineffective, revising consistently throughout the year gets you remembering everything as opposed to saying ''oh I'll just forget it until 1 week before exams'' 1week is not enough in my opinion and its bloody risky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mindgames7)
    That said, it probably depends on what you study. Also, I don't perform nearly as well as I potentially could in exams, but that's because I'm a slacker and I can't think of any reasons to work harder, so I don't.
    I'm the same, always do okay but i know i could do better if i tried just can't find any motivation to actually work harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    To people who say they forget everything if they don't revise a week before, it is not because revising early is ineffective, revising consistently throughout the year gets you remembering everything as opposed to saying ''oh I'll just forget it until 1 week before exams'' 1week is not enough in my opinion and its bloody risky
    True, I think my ideal performance level in exams would come when:

- Sh.. I have a test this week! Better revise, fast! Organise, prioritise, panic, cram cram cram!!!
    - On the day of the test: oh wait, it's been postponed until next week. Phew, I really wasn't quite ready for that. Well I'm all hyped up for it now, I actually want to go and read some more about it.

I'm the same, always do okay but i know i could do better if i tried just can't find any motivation to actually work harder
    Is it the not wanting to end up in a job where you're expected to work really hard thing? Or the not particularly wanting any money/possessions thing? I actually prefer to have less, certainly at the moment. Less stressful.

I guess being a girl, you always have the backup option as well of marrying a rich guy if it turns out that you do want money after all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mindgames7)
    Is it the not wanting to end up in a job where you're expected to work really hard thing? Or the not particularly wanting any money/possessions thing? I actually prefer to have less, certainly at the moment. Less stressful.

I guess being a girl, you always have the backup option as well of marrying a rich guy if it turns out that you do want money after all!
    I don't know, the grades i'm getting are good enough to get me where i want to go i guess, i should come out with AAB at alevel, so it's not like im completley failing. I actually do want a job that challenges me.

Haha definitley wouldn't marry someone for their money, to independent for that hate relying on other people!

ReputationRep:
    What university are you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    What university are you at?

Queen Mary, why?

ReputationRep:
    Cramming works best for me. If I start revising now like my friends have, over a month before the exam, I'd forget everything.

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary, why?
    Because your exams sound ridiculously easy.

ReputationRep:
    Story of my life. I scrape by doing as little work as possible, then it gets to a week or so before an exam and I become a panic stricken and basically turn into some stressed, sleep deprived demon child who snaps at anyone who dares to disturb my revision.

Basically, I end up looking like this:
    Name:  images (11).jpg
Views: 165
Size:  6.6 KB

Same goes for coursework.

You think I would have learnt by now, but nope. But heh I've always got good results, so whatever. Sounds crazy, but I genuinely perform better when I'm under immense pressure and no I have no alternative but to do work

ReputationRep:
    The view in psychology is that small chunks of learning that you test yourself on repeatedly over a longer period of time is a far superior way of learning than cramming.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I revise a lot in the weeks approaching the exam, but not at the same level of intensity as I do in the final week before exams. If that makes sense? So it's a mixture of revising steadily, then 'ramping it up' to that of almost the intensity experienced with cramming.

ReputationRep:
    I hate people that do that then end up getting more marks than people who work really hard. But I guess it is what it is, some people need to work some people are naturally clever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.