Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been looking around at unis, and UEA's BA American History with Modern History has caught my eye. However, I wish to pursue a career in law at a regional law firm in SW England, or perhaps at a family law practice in London (e.g. Dawson Cornwell, Charles Russell).

What do you think law firms' opinions on the American History with Modern History degree from UEA be? Good or bad?

It features a year abroad, could this make me stand out?

What is your opinion on the degree?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry.mount)
    Been looking around at unis, and UEA's BA American History with Modern History has caught my eye. However, I wish to pursue a career in law at a regional law firm in SW England, or perhaps at a family law practice in London (e.g. Dawson Cornwell, Charles Russell).

What do you think law firms' opinions on the American History with Modern History degree from UEA be? Good or bad?

It features a year abroad, could this make me stand out?

What is your opinion on the degree?
    Thanks
    Questions like this get asked a lot. The general consensus seems to be that an AmStud or AmHist grad probably stands no more or less a chance as anyone else. It is a relatively rare degree, though, so usual caveats apply.

I can't comment as to UEA, but again I doubt it would harm you.

The important thing is to try and nail a 65+% whilst building up sufficient EC or work experience to show the relevant competences. Get involved in charity work/projects/societies at uni and try to gain positions of responsibility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.