Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you lose weight without exercising? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to try to lose about 10 pounds, and I worked out that limiting my calories to 1200 a day would put me in a deficit of approximately 500 calories a day.

Will this actually work if I stick to it? Or is it unlikely to work without exercise?

EDIT: 3 weeks in and I've lost 5 pounds! yay! (although 1lb was probably water weight...)

ReputationRep:
    Drink lots of water.

ReputationRep:
    Exercise will just speed up the process, even if its only 10-20 mins of cardio per day.

10lbs is a fair amount to shift, depending on your time frame.

Working out at 3,500kcal per 1lb to lose, you will lose 1lb/week which will take you 10 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW)
    Exercise will just speed up the process, even if its only 10-20 mins of cardio per day.

10lbs is a fair amount to shift, depending on your time frame.

Working out at 3,500kcal per 1lb to lose, you will lose 1lb/week which will take you 10 weeks.
    I've got plenty of time... I just want to lose it by the beginning of August, so that gives me about 15 weeks. I'll probably do exercise in the summer as well once exams are over. I walk about 3 miles really fast every school day (travelling to and from school), so hopefully that should make it a bit easier too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiska)
    Drink lots of water.
    Does this actually help though? I swear it gets rid of hunger for like half an hour, then I just feel even hungrier...

ReputationRep:
    I lost a fair bit of weight when I moved away to university without doing any more exercise than walking around to wherever I had to be in the day simply because I ate far less than at home. At home, the house was always full of food and I had meals made for me, so it was easy to eat more than I needed to. At university, I don't buy that much food and often forget or can't be bothered to eat. The upshot of this is that I am noticeably slimmer than when I started.

So yes, often you can lose weight by eating less food than you do usually. You don't have to starve yourself - eating smaller portions of meals is a good way of doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordVoldemort1)
    I read this article in The Times once that said it is more effective to diet (Control how you eat) rather than exercise.

Yeah incorporating both of them will speed things up, and tone you up well

But you can still lose weight without having to exercise easily
    That's good news! I'm going to try to exercise once I've finished my exams. Hopefully that'll help with toning up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I lost two stone without really exercising but I ended up at a plateau.
    Dieting will get you so far but you really need to incorporate exercises, particularly strength training, if you want to firm up that body

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xStaceyy)
    Dieting will get you so far but you really need to incorporate exercises, particularly strength training, if you want to firm up that body
    This^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam C)
    I lost a fair bit of weight when I moved away to university without doing any more exercise than walking around to wherever I had to be in the day simply because I ate far less than at home. At home, the house was always full of food and I had meals made for me, so it was easy to eat more than I needed to. At university, I don't buy that much food and often forget or can't be bothered to eat. The upshot of this is that I am noticeably slimmer than when I started.

So yes, often you can lose weight by eating less food than you do usually. You don't have to starve yourself - eating smaller portions of meals is a good way of doing it.
    That's good to hear that from your own experience it does actually work! Maybe it'll be easier once I move away to uni too.

ReputationRep:
    I read this article in The Times once that said it is more effective to diet (Control how you eat) rather than exercise.

Yeah incorporating both of them will speed things up, and tone you up well

But you can still lose weight without having to exercise easily
    But most people put all the weight back on again as soon as they stop dieting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xStaceyy)
    Wow, that's amazing! Well done! And oh, ok. I'll try and do more exercise once I've finished my exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was a fatty. I lost around 20 pounds through my diet, no exercise but it did take around 6 months
    Wow, that's really impressive! Well, I'm aiming to lose 10 pounds in 3/4 months, so that rate would be fine for me!

ReputationRep:
    Dieting is the only way to lose weight. If you exercise loads but eat the amount you burned off you won't lose weight. So yes, you can definitely lose weight just by dieting, but tbh if you're going the effort of dieting, why not speed it up with a 20min jog a day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummm)
    I want to try to lose about 10 pounds, and I worked out that limiting my calories to 1200 a day would put me in a deficit of approximately 500 calories a day.

Will this actually work if I stick to it? Or is it unlikely to work without exercise?
    It is probably unhealthy for you to eat this little a day - work out your BMR and eat no less than that, for the love of god. The easiest way to lose weight is to eat a healthy, balanced diet (no junk food etc! but also not too little) and exercising. Cardio helps you burn fat and gaining muscle will speed up your metabolism. If you eat just 1200 calories a day I think it's likely that you'll put your body into starvation mode and you'll actually hold on to more fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummm)

In one word: yes.

You can, in theory, lose weight by both exercising alone or dieting alone, but it's a slower process and depends on what/how much you eat and how much exercise you do.

I think 1200 is the minimum recommended calorie intake to remain balanced and healthy, although advice varies a lot. Weight loss, in short, works by have a negative net intake of calories a day i.e. you burn/use/(whatever the word is) more calories than you eat. So long as you're doing that, you'll lose weight.

One thing to note is the amount of exercise you do a day without trying (e.g. walking places, moving about) If you're currently at home studying and not moving around at all, you might find you don't shift weight. Drink lots of water as well. Make sure what you do eat is low in (but not absent of) carbs and sugar. Eat lots of veggies, a good amount of fruit and chicken/fish and eggs and a good cereal or water-based porridge for breakfast. Avoid excess salt and frying things in oil, as well as bread. Try and swap bread for a low-cal substitute like rivita crisp breads. These are great for low-cal but filling snacks if you get hungry.

As much as 10 pounds though, seems a steep order. I reckon you could manage 3 or 4, then things will slow down and get harder without exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_100)
    In one word: yes.

You can, in theory, lose weight by both exercising alone or dieting alone, but it's a slower process and depends on what/how much you eat and how much exercise you do.

I think 1200 is the minimum recommended calorie intake to remain balanced and healthy, although advice varies a lot. Weight loss, in short, works by have a negative net intake of calories a day i.e. you burn/use/(whatever the word is) more calories than you eat. So long as you're doing that, you'll lose weight.

One thing to note is the amount of exercise you do a day without trying (e.g. walking places, moving about) If you're currently at home studying and not moving around at all, you might find you don't shift weight. Drink lots of water as well. Make sure what you do eat is low in (but not absent of) carbs and sugar. Eat lots of veggies, a good amount of fruit and chicken/fish and eggs and a good cereal or water-based porridge for breakfast. Avoid excess salt and frying things in oil, as well as bread. Try and swap bread for a low-cal substitute like rivita crisp breads. These are great for low-cal but filling snacks if you get hungry.

As much as 10 pounds though, seems a steep order. I reckon you could manage 3 or 4, then things will slow down and get harder without exercise.
    Hey, thanks for the reply! I appreciate it! I'm not doing much exercise at the moment as it's school holidays and I'm revising, but when I go back to school I'll be walking about 3 miles a day really fast, and just generally moving about more, so maybe that will help a little?

Thanks for the diet tips! I'll definitely take them on board. Is even wholemeal bread bad?

ReputationRep:
    Try My Fitness Pal, it's an app that calculates what you eat. If you stick to it it's really good, I aim for a pound a week and lost 4 last week. Exercising definitely speeds stuff up though, you might not look like you're losing as much weight numbers wise since muscle weighs more than fat but it does make a difference visibly in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummm)

http://lowcarblisa.tripod.com/thesca...diet/id18.html

Easiest, quickest and most effective diet ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummm)
    Hey, thanks for the reply! I appreciate it! I'm not doing much exercise at the moment as it's school holidays and I'm revising, but when I go back to school I'll be walking about 3 miles a day really fast, and just generally moving about more, so maybe that will help a little?

Thanks for the diet tips! I'll definitely take them on board. Is even wholemeal bread bad?
    Bread in general isn't great. But everyone loves bread, and we all have to have it every now and then . So yeah, when you want some bread, do go for the wholemeal option. Just keep in mind, each slice contains 100 calories. Have a sandwich and that's 200, plus fillers. It's also what's in bread, not just the calories. The carbs turn into glucose, and any excess glucose is converted to glycogen and stored in fat around the body. Therefore, don't eat too much of it, even if you think you're still in your 1200 kcal limit that day. Same with pasta.

A better source of carbs is bananas, beans, brown rice, nuts, root vegetables, lentils. However, still eat some bread as it is essential for digestive health due to the fibre it contains, and helps control your appetite.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.