Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I've just put down Bristol as my first choice to study German and Portuguese (ab initio), and I was wondering if someone could help me with some quite specific stuff about the halls.

My best mate and I are both going to Bristol together (to study different things) and we both want to put Wills Hall as the first choice, so I'm wondering if, on a purely practical basis, it's best to share a room, because it's £1,000 cheaper at the least, we would seem to have to go in the Old Quad if we did get a shared room there and I've heard it's easier to get a place there. So basically, three things:

Are the shared rooms at Wills nice, bigger than other rooms, and do you get a bearable amount of space to yourself?

Are we more likely to get in if we share a room?

Is there some way in the application form we can guarantee to share with eachother rather than some random person?

Cheers!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b236)
    Hi everyone!

I've just put down Bristol as my first choice to study German and Portuguese (ab initio), and I was wondering if someone could help me with some quite specific stuff about the halls.

My best mate and I are both going to Bristol together (to study different things) and we both want to put Wills Hall as the first choice, so I'm wondering if, on a purely practical basis, it's best to share a room, because it's £1,000 cheaper at the least, we would seem to have to go in the Old Quad if we did get a shared room there and I've heard it's easier to get a place there. So basically, three things:

Are the shared rooms at Wills nice, bigger than other rooms, and do you get a bearable amount of space to myself? We are best friends but everyone needs to escape.

Are we more likely to get in if we share a room?

Is there some way in the application form we can guarantee to share with eachother rather than some random person?

Cheers!

Ben
    Regarding your last two questions, this extract from the website covers it pretty well:

Shared rooms are usually undersubscribed even in our most popular residences so sharing can give you an advantage. If you know someone coming to Bristol who you would like to share with just make sure you put their name in the additional information section of your accommodation application (and make sure they do as well).

Regarding your first question, I don't know Wills Hall well enough unfortunately, I'm sure someone will have more info on that.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much! I'd been looking on the website for ages for something like that, so that's brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely email the accommodation contact for Willis! I asked the same question via email and this was our exchange:

Me: "My favorite is without a doubt Willis Hall. Though expensive, there are 20 available shared spaces for 115/wk. Are these spaces extremely competitive to apply for?"

Lady: "Wills is an incredibly popular hall and even the shared rooms here are still very popular as they present good value for money. Wills is always oversubscribed with first preferences."

But DON'T let that deter you! Your chances with shared improve regardless! Plus, you can just put Manor down as a 2nd choice for shared. Ridiculously cheap for rooms with basins.

Good luck dude and your 'mate'!
    ~Sarah

ReputationRep:
    I had friends in a shared room who had done what you are planning, it worked really well for them and they still made tons of other friends too.
    Wills is so oversubscribed but I think the shared rooms are far less. I know someone who had bristol as a second choice and got put into shared and lots of people who didn't apply for it.

As the other poster said, put manor shared or something similarly less popular as a second choice.

Also the rooms are separate but you walk through one to get to the other, so you still get lots of space. Wills is a great hall and experience so would really reccomend it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.