The Student Room Group

Welbeck DSFC - Advice

Hey guys, I'm new to this but in september I have been offered a place at Welbeck DSFC, sponsered by the army, this is dependant on my results.

I was wandering whether anybody could give me advice for when I first start Welbeck such as:
- Things to do and not to do
- What it is like in the rooms
- What it is like being part of a house and which houses have what characteristics, for example is one house known for sports and another music etc.
- What are the teachers like
- Things you found difficult when you first went and how you overcame them
- Expieriences you've had at Welbeck that you wouldn't get at any other sixthform
And just general advice that you think will help me whenI first start going.
Thank you in advance for any advice given.
Goldilocks_
Reply 1
Well done on getting offered a place. I'm going in for the RAF and I should be getting called forward to selection soon.
Reply 2
Thank you. Good luck for your selection. Try to enjoy it, I found mine daunting but it was still a great expierience.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Good luck on your AIB Yankee :smile: how did you know about the facebook group, do you have a mate in Welbeck or something?
Reply 4
Original post by Yankeetwig
Well done for that goldilocks, hope to see you there, as have my RN selection AIB in July - btw there's no point asking those questions, just wait and find out when you get there :biggrin: ... on a note, they make a Welbeck Dsfc intake group for each year on facebook, where everyone offered a conditional place can join, and they tell you all the less obvious stuff on that, about what to actually take and stuff :smile: hope that'l help

Thank you Yankeetwig, I hope to see you there too, I wish you luck on your AIB. Thank you for the advice, I thought I'd probably find out its just me liking to know things :smile: I didn't know about the facebook group, I will look out for it, thank you very much. :biggrin:
Hi Guys, I am currently in Upper VI at Welbeck (RN).

In response to Goldilocks' question:
1) don't do anything you wouldn't normally do..
DO Make friends quickly, life becomes a lot easier when you have got a good friends to have a laugh and help you out. Also work hard from the start (A levels ARE A LOT HARDER :P ) other wise you have to play catch up in the upper VI.

2) the rooms are pretty decent, in lower VI you have a 3 man room with shower, toilet ect. plenty of storage a laptop and internet. VI get own room with same facilities.

3) Each houses characteristics change every year but the general trend is: PORTLAND - antisocial with the rest of the college
NELSONS - have the highest percentage of girls
ALANBROOK - sort of all round with a very nice common room
TRENCHARD - very high standard
STIRLING - best house probably, awesome house master

Being part of a house is a good laugh and causes some serious banter and house pride. everyone's experience is different.

4) the teaching really depends on your style of learning, mostly they are good but remember there is a lot of learning outside the classroom

5) Most thing i found difficult was suddenly left to stand on your own feet, My advise would be to make good friends it helps!!!! Also go see your Tutor they are brilliant at helping out.

Experience I have had...where do I start:
represented the college at the festival of remembrance in london which included guard of honour for royal wing for VIPs, PM and royal fam.

1 week exercise to Germany with Royal Engineers this included blowing up explosives 2 days survival with the Gurkha ect.

There are loads more...

Anymore questions feel free to ask :smile:
How many pressups and situps do you think will be suitable? Also what time do you think will be suitable for the run ?
Reply 7
Original post by morrisja2120
Hi Guys, I am currently in Upper VI at Welbeck (RN).

In response to Goldilocks' question:
1) don't do anything you wouldn't normally do..
DO Make friends quickly, life becomes a lot easier when you have got a good friends to have a laugh and help you out. Also work hard from the start (A levels ARE A LOT HARDER :P ) other wise you have to play catch up in the upper VI.

2) the rooms are pretty decent, in lower VI you have a 3 man room with shower, toilet ect. plenty of storage a laptop and internet. VI get own room with same facilities.

3) Each houses characteristics change every year but the general trend is: PORTLAND - antisocial with the rest of the college
NELSONS - have the highest percentage of girls
ALANBROOK - sort of all round with a very nice common room
TRENCHARD - very high standard
STIRLING - best house probably, awesome house master

Being part of a house is a good laugh and causes some serious banter and house pride. everyone's experience is different.

4) the teaching really depends on your style of learning, mostly they are good but remember there is a lot of learning outside the classroom

5) Most thing i found difficult was suddenly left to stand on your own feet, My advise would be to make good friends it helps!!!! Also go see your Tutor they are brilliant at helping out.

Experience I have had...where do I start:
represented the college at the festival of remembrance in london which included guard of honour for royal wing for VIPs, PM and royal fam.

1 week exercise to Germany with Royal Engineers this included blowing up explosives 2 days survival with the Gurkha ect.

There are loads more...

Anymore questions feel free to ask :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: Thats really helpful :biggrin:
Sorry guys for not responding, busy week. I will answer all questions this weekend
Reply 9
Sorry but I have a couple more questions. What are the different uniforms worn and which ties do people wear? Also I was wandering how much each of the trips cost? I really like the look of the diving one in Egypt but I'm really worried about costs as I know my family's not got a lot of spare money, my parents always try to allow me to do as much as possible but I feel guilty sometimes as I know at times the cost of things aren't cheap. Thanks :smile: Goldilocks_
Ok first Yankeetwig. I want to go in as a AEO or Pilot. Might swap over to army after Uni :smile:
TristanStafford - If you follow this link :smile: http://www.dsfc.ac.uk/Apply/fitness.asp
Goldilocks - on a normal/working day we wear G-kit, shirt with rank slides, jumper in winter, tie and trousers/skirt. The differnt ties: you wear normally a coloured tie depending on what house your in. Other ties are for prefectship and sporting acheivements. On a tuesday is single service so RN wear No 3s, Army wear MTP and RAF wear No 2s. On Thursday we all wear MTP. For all major parades NO 1 uniform is worn.
The trips are brilliant!!! they are around £600-800. The egypt trip is good, i have never been on it but it a lot of parting and clubbing at night but duirng the day you do a lot of diving and get an open water diving quilification.
I have been ski trip to austria twice and it is also really good and you do soooooo much skiing. If you have never been skiing you will learn quick and get hooked on it :smile:
Thanks for that.How many pressups and situps did you manage? Im just wondering so i know whats a decent standard.
Reply 12
Thanks for all the information, it was really helpful! Do they do martial arts at welbeck as a sport or activity?:smile:
Reply 13
Hi everyone,

I've applied through DESG for entrey in 2013 and I wondering if anyone knows what the fitness test is? Will it be the same as the RAF test?
Hi guys, been a long time since I have been on here. Good luck with exam results! If anyone wants to add me as a friends on facebook to chat more, www.facebook.com/josh.morris.771?ref=tn_tnmn (not sure if this is going to work but it is a link to my Facebook page feel free to add :smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest