Turn on thread page Beta

orgaic chem, best way of practicing? watch

ReputationRep:
    can anyone suguest the best way of practicing without past papers, i need to be able to practice mechanisms!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c

carbons making me crazy!!!

ReputationRep:
    Our organic chem teacher made us make a kind of web of all the reactions linking all the different compounds you need to know at A level. It was amazingly effective actually and helped loads with mechanisms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by assassim)
    can anyone suguest the best way of practicing without past papers, i need to be able to practice mechanisms!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c

carbons making me crazy!!!
    Urgh, mechanisms suck - the only way to remember them is to just use them over and over and over again, either in practise papers or drawing them out on paper. I had to answer so many questions involving the nitration of benzene mechanism that in the end I knew it off by heart! There's so many technical things with drawing the mechanisms too - I advise practicing a LOT with curly arrows as some exam boards can be really picky about where you put them. Also do a lot of revision of the intermediates in the reactions as well as they can often help you piece the rest of the reaction together when your memory fails you. If you're more techy then you can try creating an interactive powerpoint presentation that goes through all the mechanisms - if you're spending ages creating something with the knowledge you have it sticks in your mind. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    lots of the ones with benzne are very similar, look for simalrities, also just keep writing them out, i read quite a lot of chem books so i see things and just know the simple ones

ReputationRep:
    our teacher set us a practical where there are 8 different organic unknowns and we need to identify + justify the identity of each with the minimum number of tests, pretty fun!!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.