Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I asked this in the UCAS/Applications forum and thought I'd ask hear as well to see what the more IB savvy lot think of my predicament.

I have offers from both UCL and Kings for physics. I'm really considering KCL as I'd love to do a year abroad, which UCL don't offer.

However I'm put off by the lesser reputation of Kings.

UCL is an IB target whereas Kings isn't. So would I be significantly lowering my chances? I know employers value year abroad students but does this apply to IBs? And even so would the added benefit of studying abroad on my CV be enough to offset the difference in reputation?

With regards to the actual physics course, there isn't really anything in it for me. The decision is purely year abroad vs reputation/prestige.

Please help.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jobseeker92)
    I asked this in the UCAS/Applications forum and thought I'd ask hear as well to see what the more IB savvy lot think of my predicament.

I have offers from both UCL and Kings for physics. I'm really considering KCL as I'd love to do a year abroad, which UCL don't offer.

UCL is an IB target whereas Kings isn't. So would I be significantly lowering my chances? I know employers value year abroad students but does this apply to IBs? And even so would the added benefit of studying abroad on my CV be enough to offset the difference in reputation?

With regards to the actual physics course, there isn't really anything in it for me. The decision is purely year abroad vs reputation/prestige.

Please help.
    Thanks.
    Where will you be studying abroad or do you have to apply at a later stage?

Going to a target obviously helps but it isn't the only factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jobseeker92)

Please help.
    Thanks.
    1) Do they really? If anything it would disadvantage you studying abroad. Most universities (in the US, Australia etc) start much earlier than UK universities and therefore you would struggle to do a summer internship as these run until the end of August/start of September. So this is something to look into - much less of a problem say if you were studying abroad in Europe I guess.

2) No it wouldn't; but then if you were one of the best at KCL in terms of your CV, extra-curriculars, work experience, interview technique etc, then you could still make it from KCL.

I've turned down the chance to study abroad twice; once while deciding my firm and insurance, I chose the target (which still had the option to apply to study abroad) over the non-target (with compulsory study abroad) and then I chose to not study abroad at my current university so I could intern at GS in London. Study abroad would be so fun to do, and is something which I really wish I could have done/will do in future (for a masters/MBA) but it would get in the way of me trying to make it into banking. You have to decide which is more important I guess/whether you still feel you can make it from KCL (which still gets a lot of grads into front office).

ReputationRep:
    I would say go to UCL. My university didn't offer a year abroad (anywhere I wanted to go, anyway), and I just did my own year abroad in Japan after I graduated, unrelated to my university. I applied to the IB I'm at now just before I went, got the offer, and then started when I came back a year later. Best of both worlds.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.