Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I start living after uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23, I graduated nearly two years ago now. I've moved back home to London and I've been fortunate enough to have been working most of the time since I finished uni. But even with an income and the bright lights of London and all my friends around, I feel like my life is really boring.

I get up, I go to work, I come home. Usually at weekends I'll go out to a bar or club with friends but it's not enough for me. I feel like at uni, although I worked really hard, life was really lots of fun all the time and now it's just really dull. My friends never seem to do anything during the week. I just want to enjoy myself while I'm still young and care free.

Doing an evening hobby seems like an obvious way out but a lot of things seem quite solitary and I'd prefer to do something where I'd get to hang out with people my age.

I read this person's letter to The Guardian and it sounds so much like how I feel - http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rt-of-comments

Is anyone else feeling like this? Or have you gone through this yourself and what sort of things helped you get out of it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I have that too. I am pretty busy during the week but at the weekends I am less so. I guess that's got a fair bit to do with not having as many friends living in the same city as I used to. I only graduated in 2012 then spent until December having my life consumed with job hunting so I feel like I am only just getting round to sorting out my social life again. Partly I am a bit on the 'well what should I do to meet more people?' side of things but also even if I were magically to have more local friends I am still pretty sure I'd be a bit bored.

I've decided I need to take a break/s from daily life. So I am saving up to go live abroad for a year, which also makes my current life a bit more boring since i am trying to not spend much. I have also took a few cheap flight short breaks to enjoy the fact I do have some money now. I want to live abroad for a year to take a chance to work out what are the things that can/will make my life really fun. I want to go enjoy myself for the sake of it but also to hopefully have things I can transfer back to making the daily grind more bearable.

I also still live where I went to uni so I want to go live somewhere new once I get back. Being where I have lived for over four years does seem to make me a bit lazy- I feel rather been there done that. I think if I went somewhere new I'd be out doing more things and be excited about doing them.

Longer term I think I need to find a job I enjoy more. 9-5 at a desk just isn't me and I want to find a work place where the working environment is right for me too. I want to get to a point where I can earn enough pro rota to work 3 days a week. It's not hard to find part time jobs in my sector and I'd be happy on 3 days at around £25,000 (so living on 15k) which isn't a point of career development that far off but still a few years. I want to work for the money, sense of purpose and just to fill time productively but I also feel like having more free time would be easier to fill because I could have a few substantial time commitments to whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I've thought about moving to another city a few times because it kind of forces you to make a life of your own. Maybe my problem is that I've been too comfortable settling back into my pre-uni routines. Probably the same for my friends too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.