Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi so basically I've been thinking whether its still worth going to university's such as Middlesex or UEL to do economics if that's all you can get into? Like is it worth getting into so much debt, what will the job prospects be like? Any advice on that will be really helpful thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afcnew14)
    Hi so basically I've been thinking whether its still worth going to university's such as Middlesex or UEL to do economics if that's all you can get into? Like is it worth getting into so much debt, what will the job prospects be like? Any advice on that will be really helpful thanks.
    Depends. Economics is a worthy subject of study.

If you do a worthy degree at a poor university, it's better than a naff degree from a good university (on the whole, in terms of graduate employment and salary)

For example

Economists from Middlesex have a greater average salary 40 months after graduating than English Literature graduates from Royal Holloway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxchloexo)
    As long as you come out with a good degree (1st or 2:1) you should still have good job prospects despite going to a lower ranked university. Also just because a university is ranked lower dosen't meant it's not a good university. In my opinion league tables are overrated. I could choose to go to a university that is higher in league tables but i'd rather go somewhere i know the staff are nice and somewhere i will be happy
    That might backfire massively unless you're doing a niche/in-demand/traditional degree.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a career, choice of uni is important, if you're not bothered about that, any uni is fine. When you're beyond 25-30 what uni you went to is irrelevant, your work experience is of greater importance.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Law..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afcnew14)
    If its something like Economics...........I would try and find a low ranked uni with a good careers department......lsbu and westminster surprisingly do help their students out a lot...Greenwich's business and management school does well if economics is in their.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxchloexo)
    Im doing Law..
    Another very worthy subject where at the moment supply of graduates outstrips the demand for law graduates.

This is why we need a cap on university places - especially for professional degrees!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Another very worthy subject where at the moment supply of graduates outstrips the demand for law graduates.

This is why we need a cap on university places - especially for professional degrees!
    Yeah i agree, so many people who do degrees and then can't get a job.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so basically economics is pretty decent no matter what uni?... Obviously I understand career prospects won't be as good as top 20 unis etc but still worth it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Both the Unis you have named are good ex-Polys. They arent 'mickey mouse' colleges with no academic credibility that sprung up overnight. So, as far as quality of teaching and 'student experience' are concerned, have no worries.

If you are concerned that a Law or Economics degree from either of them will not be 'as good' in terms of employment, then post a message on the Law or Economics course Board. If you arent fussed about where/what 'Law' or 'Economics' work you do after graduation, then stop worrying and just enjoy your studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afcnew14131091)
    Okay so basically economics is pretty decent no matter what uni?... Obviously I understand career prospects won't be as good as top 20 unis etc but still worth it. Thanks
    Of course! And it's not mainly which university you graduated from that employers look for (unless they happen to be snobbish, which is likely) - they also look at you as a person; I.e your ability to make well-informed decisions under pressure, and how you conduct yourself as a person

If you can demonstrate that you have these qualities, then IMO it shouldn't matter too much whether you come out of Oxbridge or a Million+ university.

Bottom line, a degree from somewhere is miles better than no degree at all.

[EDIT] if you're going to neg me, at least explain why - this isn't just me speaking, what I've said here was also gathered from several employers - DB being one of them. They said they've hired from low-ranked universities and rejected applicants from top universities, who haven't demonstrated traits that they require.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    That is all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    Of course! And it's not mainly which university you graduated from that employers look for (unless they happen to be snobbish, which is likely) - they also look at you as a person; I.e your ability to make well-informed decisions under pressure, and how you conduct yourself as a person

If you can demonstrate that you have these qualities, then IMO it shouldn't matter too much whether you come out of Oxbridge or a Million+ university.

[EDIT] if you're going to neg me, at least explain why - this isn't just me speaking, what I've said here was also gathered from several employers - DB being one of them. They said they've hired from low-ranked universities and rejected applicants from top universities, who haven't demonstrated traits that they require.

Good luck!
    thanks really helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.