Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I just finished reading The Catcher in the Rye and I have no one to talk to about it! I would love to hear what you took away from reading the book as well as what you thought about Holden as a character. And any other discussion points?

Zoe x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy Box)
    Hi everyone,

I just finished reading The Catcher in the Rye and I have no one to talk to about it! I would love to hear what you took away from reading the book as well as what you thought about Holden as a character. And any other discussion points?

Zoe x
    I absolutely adore that book .

I love the ambiguities within it, e.g. is Mr Antolini really being inappropriate? I fell in love with Holden's character the first time that I read it because I found him so easy to relate to. However, I do understand why readers may find him too self-indulgent and 'whiny'. My favourite quote is: 'Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.' Why? Because I've found that this often proves to be true.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Zoe x
    I love it, it's probably my favourite book. As TheSmithsIndeed said, I can relate to Holden a lot and understand a lot of his thoughts and troubles. It is Americanised in a lot of ways but it's still an awesome book!

I only wish I'd got to study it in detail at GCSE!

ReputationRep:
    I read this book a year or so ago, when I was 16/17. At first I was in love with Holden, I really empathised with his mindset, being a teenager and all. But as the book went on and I thought about it more, he really bugged me! At points I thought he was such an immature child, despite being 17 (I think) and supposedly rather mature.

However, the literature itself I adored! While Holden's narrative is repetitive, repeating phrases such as phoney and flitty about anyone he meets, I think it secured Salinger's reputation as a writer. For the time, I believe, critics called it a very convincing monologue.

I'd rate it a 4/5.

ReputationRep:
    I love Catcher! I studied it at GCSE

I'd love to make a long post about discussion points etc but I'm not really supposed to be on TSR right now, so I will come back to this thread and do so later...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    I read this book a year or so ago, when I was 16/17. At first I was in love with Holden, I really empathised with his mindset, being a teenager and all. But as the book went on and I thought about it more, he really bugged me! At points I thought he was such an immature child, despite being 17 (I think) and supposedly rather mature.

However, the literature itself I adored! While Holden's narrative is repetitive, repeating phrases such as phoney and flitty about anyone he meets, I think it secured Salinger's reputation as a writer. For the time, I believe, critics called it a very convincing monologue.

I'd rate it a 4/5.
    And don't forget "and all"

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was good. I liked the whole message really, and I kind of empathised with Caulfield. I just got a bit annoyed with his voice after a while it really reduced his likeability for me.

If anyone likes the sound of a similar book that's more tongue-in-cheek and swaps a sulky teenager in NY for a sarky pre-teen in Texas then check out Vernon God Little by D B C Pierre.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of reading that book. Is it good???

By the way I'm 14

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Zoe x
    I read it for Higher English. First reading I thought "eh, what even was that?!" Second read I was in love

I love the use of symbolism in it, and how it all comes back to teenage angst/fear of growing up. I read it when I was 16 (I'm 18 now) and I'm glad I read it then, as I think I was able to associate with it more.

It's so sad that his breakdown is due to the death of his brother from leukaemia, and in a lot of ways I can associate with Holden as at the time of reading this, someone I loved a lot was battling the same thing and passed away. But it meant I really got it as I could kinda feel what Holden felt. In a way, Holden and I are similar in that through that event, we both had to grow up a lot, even if it wasn't something we particularly wanted to do at that point. You could say Holden, is a little like a Peter Pan that can't go back to Neverland. However, what I admire about Holden is his ability to try and hang onto some of his childhood, and perhaps society should it try more.

Ultimately I came away from reading it and felt so sorry for Holden, and just wanted to give him a hug. He couldn't see any of the ways to make the best of his situation (which is where our major differences lie), and that's a sad thing.

I think a lot of younger kids in our generation should read it, the only downside is they won't appreciate it's full meaning. Kids are in too much of a hurry to grow up nowadays, but if they got to read and understand what this book was all about, perhaps they'd see that sometimes, it's nice to just revel in being a kid for a while

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also read this book for Higher English, maybe it was just because I knew I had to know the book inside out for the exam, but it was possibly the most depressing thing I have ever read. Although I felt sorry for Holden his constant complaining about everything really grinded at my nerves!

ReputationRep:
    I really loved that book. I think it's one of those ones you have to read at a certain stage in your life (in this case, being a teenager) to really appreciate.

ReputationRep:
    I read this just after I had turned 16 and, whilst I didn't hate it, it wasn't a world beater for me. I'm not sure why I wasn't attached to it and I don't have a standout reason for disliking it, I just found Holden too repetitive and things like 'that kills me' were just, well... monotonous and off-putting.

Book critic of the year here.

ReputationRep:
    I also read this book in Higher English - it was the book I chose to read/write an essay on as part of personal study.

The first time I read it I couldn't really get into it and found it quite boring at the start (when he was at boarding school) but I read it again and loved it! It's one of the only books I've read where I've really felt such a connection to the character. I felt so sorry for Holden throughout the book. One of the things I loved was his relationship with his sister, which was for me, incredibly endearing. It's a must read!!

ReputationRep:
    idk i thought it was quite boring, i didnt really see the point of the story

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Zoe x
    I despised it on first reading, which was when I was about twelve. I read it a couple of months ago, and it really made me think. Overall, a brilliant book, but I haven't read it very attentively yet, so it will probably become better (in my eyes).

ReputationRep:
    I studied Catcher for GCSE and at the time, I hated the book; however, when I read it purely for pleasure I found I actually really enjoyed it! I love the way that Salinger leaves you constantly guessing whether Holden is telling the truth or not. The language kind of irritated me, though, with the constant use of 'damn'. Not that I have a problem with the word, it's just when you read it over and over again, it stops looking like a word!

ReputationRep:
    It's my favourite book ever! We studied it in history for gcse, and loved it! I think Holden is the exact reflection of how I feel sometimes, it can be quite comforting reading a book where the main character is having a hard time too. I like how his thought processes can be so random, like when he thinks about where the ducks go in the winter.
    Also, his emotional side is really touching. Like the way he talks out loud to his brother Ally who died sometimes, or the way he is around Pheobe.

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody" so true

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.