Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Daily Mail: only mainstream religious beliefs should be respected in the workplace watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tment-too.html

The guidance is likely to be seen as an insult by some Christians and other religious observers as it appears to put lifestyle choices like vegetarianism on a par with their deeply-held spiritual beliefs.
    Unbelievable!

Why should believing in a man in the sky trump other beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    What's your point?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused, religion is a lifestyle choice so its all the same to me

ReputationRep:
    Balls to it all.

I see no reason to accomodate religion into the work place to be honest. Want to wear a Hijab or Turban and it violates the dress code? Jog on. Same with a visible crucifix or pentagram. Want to toddle off to pray during work hours? Better be on your break.

I see no reason to acomodate such beliefs in a professional environment if you don't wish to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    What's your point?
    My point is that belief in the tenets of Christianity should not trump other beliefs.

If there is to be laws like this in the workplace then they have to apply to all beliefs. You cannot privilege Abrahamic religions just because they are more popular than other beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Yet more PC rubbish from the loonies at the Daily Mail. If I wish to divine the future by sacrificing a chicken and spreading its entrails around my cubicle I should be able to do so without having to worry about offending anyone! We druids were here first and we shouldn't have to compromise our beliefs because a few over-sensitive Christian invaders might get insulted. You know I bet it's not even the Christians who are insulted, just those damn bleeding heart right wingers who love to be offended by everything. This country is going to the dogs!

ReputationRep:
    'Even atheists should have their beliefs respected, according to the new guidance.' God forbid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Balls to it all.

I see no reason to accomodate religion into the work place to be honest. Want to wear a Hijab or Turban and it violates the dress code? Jog on. Same with a visible crucifix or pentagram. Want to toddle off to pray during work hours? Better be on your break.

I see no reason to acomodate such beliefs in a professional environment if you don't wish to.
    Exactly this.

I've used this analogy before, but I believe Blondie and Green Day are awesome, but I wouldn't wear band tees in the workplace, because it is something which should be kept at home.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.