Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I struggled with acne a lot when I was younger. It was genetic - my mum and sis both had really bad acne well into their twenties. It was on my face and sometimes back. I got a course of Roaccutane from my doctor - he didn't prescribe it as long as he should have, but it helped.

Now my face occasionally gets break outs, but it's managable. I still get very clogged pores though, and black spots on my nose. My skin in sensitive and of the 'combination' type - it gets easily dry as well. After I've washed my face, it's so dry it feels like the skin is one size too small. I can put some light, oil-free lotion on it (specially for oily skin) but it will eventually give me some new zits.

I've know gotten some spots on my chest. They are red, small and everywhere and it looks horrible on my pale skin.

I have been waxing brazilian style for several years. Both shaving and waxing gives me ridiculous ingrown hairs and spots. So I decided to do laser removal. It will hopefully work in the long run as the hairs will be gone for good, but right now it's worse than ever. On one side (upper thigh), I swear there is a spot or ingrown hair for every hair follicle.
    I read an article online advertising a new "vagacial" - a sort of facial for your vulva, removing spots and ingrown hairs, exfoliating and soothing. I thought about trying it, but the comment in the article was also interesting - the woman said that some women are prone to getting acne everywhere and that they therefore should actually never shave nor wax, as it will open the skin to infections and give bad results, but everybody feels as though they should wax these days. It is undoubtedly the case for me (although it wouldn't make a difference if I stopped now anyway, the skin is torn several places and the worst area is the bikini line, not the actual vulva, and I wouldn't want hairs on my upper thighs anyway).

It's really bad now, to the point where I would not want any guy to see me naked, nor my doctor for that matter.
    I've been thinking of asking a good dermatologist and I am wondering if they can be contacted directly or I should go through my doctor? (I am using a private doctor anyway).
    And if any of you have had acne on your body, how did you get rid of it?

Anyone? I'm about to cry right now. If this doesn't go away I'm not going near a man or ever show myself on the beach this summer.
    It's so unfair. I spend a fortune on products and hair removal and nothing helps. If I only knew where to go to take care of it, I'd do it in a heartbeat whatever the cost.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.