Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, recently a friend has asked it he can create a partner site to mine. I've told him that this is okay, provided that it is branded in a way that shows mine to be the 'parent site', however I'm not sure what the best way to do this would be?
    Perhaps by writing "A subsidiary of my site name" Below it's logo?

Any advice?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    To make it look neater, I'd have in the footer instead of directly underneath the main logo. As for what to have, either your subsidiary phrase with the parent logo, or "Part of the <your website name> family" and your logo depending on the sort of feel you want it to give.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    MarkedByTeachers is a nice example.

http://www.markedbyteachers.com/

ReputationRep:
    Use a subdomain: such as yoursite.main.co.uk a bit like news.bbc.co.uk is part of the over bbc site but a distinct section ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRChapman)
    Hi, recently a friend has asked it he can create a partner site to mine. I've told him that this is okay, provided that it is branded in a way that shows mine to be the 'parent site', however I'm not sure what the best way to do this would be?
    Perhaps by writing "A subsidiary of my site name" Below it's logo?

Any advice?
    Thanks in advance
    Could you provided information on what both the sites do? I think the strapline idea is the best(possibly in combination with the sub-domain idea.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalDem)
    Could you provided information on what both the sites do? I think the strapline idea is the best(possibly in combination with the sub-domain idea.)
    The site is an economics revision website - a friend wants to create a business studies counter part, using the same general design features and layout...?

ReputationRep:
    The site is an economics revision website - a friend wants to create a business studies counter part, using the same general design features and layout...?
    Another option is to have them both be the same website. People might be more willing to trust a site if it was written by a team of people rather than just one person each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    Another option is to have them both be the same website. People might be more willing to trust a site if it was written by a team of people rather than just one person each.
    Right... so how is the user going to know whether it was an individual, or team that created the site...?

Not really sure you thought that comment through?

ReputationRep:
    Right... so how is the user going to know whether it was an individual, or team that created the site...?

Not really sure you thought that comment through?
    I did think about that, I just didn't post it! You could have an 'about us' page or similar. Another option is to credit the author of each individual page although that might not give the desired effect if the user is only looking at one section of the site.

Another reason it might be good to have them both together is that the user might be confused seeing two very similar-looking sites. Ok, there are sites out there which do this kind of thing but I think it looks better as one big site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    I did think about that, I just didn't post it! You could have an 'about us' page or similar. Another option is to credit the author of each individual page although that might not give the desired effect if the user is only looking at one section of the site.

Another reason it might be good to have them both together is that the user might be confused seeing two very similar-looking sites. Ok, there are sites out there which do this kind of thing but I think it looks better as one big site.
    I agree, one site is definitely the best idea. If you think about it in terms of business, it's better to be a medium-sized enterprise that operates in two markets than two wee unknown ma n pa operations. Just my tuppence-worth.

I would suggest a site-wide style with a slight change in colour scheme depending on which subject they're revising. I think something along the lines of: All black,white and silver; green header in economics; blue header in business studies; or something thereabouts.

If you really want to make sure you're credited with the idea:
    "{YOUR SITE NAME} was the creation of {YOUR NAME} and has been providing revision materials in Economics since {SOME DATE}. In early 2013, {MATE'S NAME} joined the {YOUR SITE NAME} team and added content in Business Studies....."
    Or whatever, IDK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalDem)
    I agree, one site is definitely the best idea. If you think about it in terms of business, it's better to be a medium-sized enterprise that operates in two markets than two wee unknown ma n pa operations. Just my tuppence-worth.

I would suggest a site-wide style with a slight change in colour scheme depending on which subject they're revising. I think something along the lines of: All black,white and silver; green header in economics; blue header in business studies; or something thereabouts.

If you really want to make sure you're credited with the idea:
    "{YOUR SITE NAME} was the creation of {YOUR NAME} and has been providing revision materials in Economics since {SOME DATE}. In early 2013, {MATE'S NAME} joined the {YOUR SITE NAME} team and added content in Business Studies....."
    Or whatever, IDK.
    Ultimately, I understand why you may see it as better to host both sites under the same domain, and I agree that this would be the best option in most circumstances. However, I'd rather not do so in this case - as it would involve compromising ownership of my site...

Having said that, it could be hosted under a subdomain...?

ReputationRep:
    However, I'd rather not do so in this case - as it would involve compromising ownership of my site...
    Do you mean from a security point of view (you're worried about your friend breaking something) or because you want to be able to say 'this is my site'?

Your subdomain idea could work, keeping the sites together whilst making clear that there are two separate parts within.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    Do you mean from a security point of view (you're worried about your friend breaking something) or because you want to be able to say 'this is my site'?
    Both...

ReputationRep:
    Both...
    In terms of security, it depends how secure you want to make it. You could make a separate folder for everything your friend does and give them write access to just that folder. This would give plenty of flexibility and would mean that they wouldn't be able to delete anything you had written. However, it would be possible for your friend or anyone accessing their account to insert malicious javascript or upload something dangerous. This would particularly be a problem if your site involves logging in anywhere.

Another option would be to have your friend edit their part of the site only through some content management system that would filter out any javascript from the html. However there is still the risk that something offensive could be uploaded that could damage the reputation of the site.

If your friend's site was on a separate domain then you would be protected from many of the possible security issues although if the two sites are closely connected then there is still the issue of the reputation of one site affecting another.

The safest thing for be for your friend to send any content they write to you, then you check it and upload it yourself. However this would be quite tedious for both of you.

It depends how much you trust your friend really. If you do trust them not to try and hack anything then just giving them a separate folder might be the best idea. If you trust them loads then you could even give them access to everything so they could perhaps correct a typo you've made if they see it, although you don't seem to be so comfortable with that idea. If you don't trust your friend at all then it might be better to just forget the whole idea.

As for whether it's seen to be your site, all I can suggest is that where appropriate (on an 'about us' page or somewhere on every page) you make clear that you're the one running the site but our friend helps with the sections they edit. You have sites like moneysavingexpert where they heavily emphasize who runs it, then there are other sites where they don't mention this sort of thing at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.