Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey, I've only ever used condoms before but wanting to go on something more long term. I've looked at all the options and narrowed it down to either the IUS or the implant but there are things putting me off both of them. Really not keen on the idea of having to feel the strings of the IUS in case it has moved . With the implant I don't like that it can cause heavier bleeding.

Has anyone tried either of these? What were the side effects like?

A few of my friends have the implant. They say its fine But one says she is on a 'constant period', quite light most days, but then heavier on 3 days of the month. Dont know about IUS... I find the pill quite good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, I've only ever used condoms before but wanting to go on something more long term. I've looked at all the options and narrowed it down to either the IUS or the implant but there are things putting me off both of them. Really not keen on the idea of having to feel the strings of the IUS in case it has moved . With the implant I don't like that it can cause heavier bleeding.

I have the implant in, I have had it in for around 7/8 months and I don't have periods.

I was on the injection before for a couple of years and didn't get periods with that either.

The injection is the same hormones as the implant so I would suggest you get the injection a couple of times as it only lasts 12 weeks each time it will show you how your body would react to the hormones of the implant.

xx

ReputationRep:
    I've had both. The IUS moved quite soon after I had it in and I could hardly move with the pain it caused me and even though I went to the doctors about it it still took 3 months for them to realise it was that that was causing the pain. Also my boyfriend said that he felt the wires when having sex with me and not only did it freak him it he also said it was uncomfortable. The implant has been great other than becoming quite spotty although it seems to be settling down now and I doing experience any periods whatsoever so if I were you I would give the implant a go but obviously thats just from personal experiences and everyone is different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

IUS - is the hormonal coil. I have the IUD (no hormones) and it's been 4 years now since it was fitted. No pain, no discomfort, and NO YOU CANNOT FEEL THE WIRE and neither can any man having sex with you.
    I've never bothered to check for the string, I just have the gyno check it when I go for my bi-annual STI check up.

Implant, pill and the injection are not such great ideas, in my personal opinion, as they involve the use of hormones to disrupt your normal cycle for an extended period of time. No-one actually has any idea of the long term effects that this may have on your reproductive organs, fertility or body.

(Original post by piggiesshinho)
    I've had both. The IUS moved quite soon after I had it in and I could hardly move with the pain it caused me and even though I went to the doctors about it it still took 3 months for them to realise it was that that was causing the pain. Also my boyfriend said that he felt the wires when having sex with me and not only did it freak him it he also said it was uncomfortable. The implant has been great other than becoming quite spotty although it seems to be settling down now and I doing experience any periods whatsoever so if I were you I would give the implant a go but obviously thats just from personal experiences and everyone is different
    Bad luck chuck, reckon you had it placed badly by an untrained medical personnel. **** happens, but this really is quite rare.

ReputationRep:
    I have the IUS for over 6 years, no pain, no peRiods, Bf cant feel the strings, just feels really good!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've recently had a new implant in after having it for 3 years, I honestly recommend it as I have had no real side effects except i'm sometimes moody I think it depends on the person and whether you have side effects such as heavy periods, spots, weight gain etc. But once its in you don't have to think about it until it needs changing, which also did not hurt. I'd say go for it!
    Good Luck in deciding

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.