Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I mean as soon as possible.
    I've blocked him out of my life but I still manage to come across him somehow, some of it by my own curiosity.
    I'm still hung up on him.
    We broke up a while ago, and he started dating someone else almost immediately after (around one week). Before I blocked him he kept telling me how she was his best friend and treated him right etc.
    We were together for a long time, had future plans and everything. All this was really unexpected and i'm really struggling to get over it.
    I struggle with mental health issues too, a lot of which he helped me deal with.
    I'm sorry for sounding pathetic but how do I stop loving him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've blocked him out of my life but I still manage to come across him somehow, some of it by my own curiosity.
    We broke up a while ago, and he started dating someone else almost immediately after (around one week). Before I blocked him he kept telling me how she was his best friend and treated him right etc.
    We were together for a long time, had future plans and everything. All this was really unexpected and i'm really struggling to get over it.
    I struggle with mental health issues too, a lot of which he helped me deal with.
    To give you a simple answer, there is no ultimate remedy. You can't just unplug feeling and throw them in a skip.

You may find that time is the best antidote, however. I know you want to stop thinking about him ASAP, but that just won't happen. Over time, you may find he slowly slips from your thoughts.

What you shouldn't do is jump straight into another relationship for the sake of it. This will probably only make it worse. The guy you're with will never be who your ex was, and you'll most likely only get more attached to your ex - or the idea of him - as a result. And this won't be good for either of you.

Although your feelings are very much their own animal, what you can control a little are your thoughts. Finding a new hobby, or simply doing more things you already enjoy, will focus your mind elsewhere. You shouldn't, however, try to simply stop thinking about him altogether, because 1) this will only lead to frustration, 2) it may have the inverse effect of making you think about him all the time and 3) it won't happen anyway.

It's healthy and entirely normal to think about him every now and then, and you may find that doing so actually sets you on the route to accepting your situation and moving on from him.

It'll take time, but you'll get there eventually.

(Original post by jwshaw89)
    To give you a simple answer, there is no ultimate remedy. You can't just unplug feeling and throw them in a skip.

You may find that time is the best antidote, however. I know you want to stop thinking about him ASAP, but that just won't happen. Over time, you may find he slowly slips from your thoughts.

What you shouldn't do is jump straight into another relationship for the sake of it. This will probably only make it worse. The guy you're with will never be who your ex was, and you'll most likely only get more attached to your ex - or the idea of him - as a result. And this won't be good for either of you.

Although your feelings are very much their own animal, what you can control a little are your thoughts. Finding a new hobby, or simply doing more things you already enjoy, will focus your mind elsewhere. You shouldn't, however, try to simply stop thinking about him altogether, because 1) this will only lead to frustration, 2) it may have the inverse effect of making you think about him all the time and 3) it won't happen anyway.

It's healthy and entirely normal to think about him every now and then, and you may find that doing so actually sets you on the route to accepting your situation and moving on from him.

It'll take time, but you'll get there eventually.

Thanks.
    Anyone else? I mean, this mental health problems come hand in hand with episodes of severe depression. I was already in the middle of an 'episode' when we broke up and I want to forget about him soon as because I have exams coming up and I literally cannot get out of bed. I'm also worried about getting the 'too depressed to live' mental state.
    Any other solution? Or even some tips for motivation (The 'sticking something up on the wall' tip doesn't help)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I suppose it doesn't make it easier if you are struggling at the moment with your mental health. Try not to challenge yourself too much. Breaking up is a difficult thing for anyone, even when people are emotionally 'well' so added to the fact you are not feeling your best will make this time a lot harder.
    Cutting him out of your life is going to make it easier. Now you have to distract yourself. You say he helped you through your mental health issues, well now is the time to use your friends/family, someone who is more permanent and stable as your support.
    When you feel as though your analysing and thinking about your relationship, your ex or anything related then do something. If you cannot leave your home as you don't feel up to it, then distract yourself inside the house. Read a book, clean up just anything for 10mins. Could you maybe invite a friend or close family member over for a chat if you want to stay at home?

I would also speak to someone at College/Uni about your break up and how you now feel. Sometimes we need help finding closure and to draw a line, even when that person cannot give us it for whatever reason. I found and to some extent are still finding this hard but counseling can help with this and may be able to also support you through your mental health issues.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.