Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Over the last few years, I've heard a few mentions of going 'poo-free', but never really paid attention. I don't know why, but I've spent the last few hours looking on various websites and blogs about going without shampoo, and even tried to find people who have had bad experiences of this (I have hardly found any!). There has been mention of using bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), apple cider vinegar, conditioner-only washing and tea rinses!

Anyway, I suppose my questions to all of you would be:
    a) Have you tried any of these, or know anyone who has?
    b) Which have you tried? Or would try?
    c) Does it actually work better than shampooing?
    d) Would you like to scare me with any horror stories?
    e) Do you dare me? (Not now of course! Perhaps after graduation?)

Here is the article that prompted my post: http://fulfilledhomemaking.com/no-poo-shampoo/

Edit: I forgot to add that I have dyed my hair, so do you know whether any of these routines would cause fading or discolouration? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    a) No but I have tried not washing for a week, way too oily and I thought it started to stink so I washed it in the end.

b) I've tried simply just not washing with shampoo or conditioner, just leaving it. I've never tried any baking soda methods or anything. Just the normal water rinse from when I have a bath or shower.

c) It seemed to make the hair much more smooth and silky, however the oilyness and smell was annoying and made my hair feel dirty. This was probably just my hair not being used to it as the article said, it would probably smell less and work as it should like the article says once my hair would have adapted to the no shampoo but I didn't know at the time

d) The only horror I have is people avoiding me with this method because of the smell of my hair, it has a horrible smell when I don't wash it

e) Go ahead, I think you should document it like the user in the article, it would be interesting and will influence people to do it and see before they try what will happen.

ReputationRep:
    This is so strange, I have just been thinking about this the last couple of days!

I don't really buy into many commercial products but I'll have to admit that I probably spend too much on toiletries. In the end, if all the time we spend putting countless products in our hair was actually making it worse the companies are never going to let us know.

My hair is nice and wavy but quite fine and flat on top. It also gets greasy really easily so I end up shampooing it every day and using conditioners which I swear make it even more flat and oily.

After doing some research I've decided to try using natural shampoo bars (you should look them up). Obviously it's still putting soap on your hair but not the same kind as in normal shampoo. I've ordered one from etsy so even if it isn't any better for my hair I feel better for rejecting the big brands.
    I think I'm going to try rinsing with diluted apple cider vinegar afterwards. Mainly because it's cheap and I already have some but also it's meant to make your hair shiny, remove build up and also neutralise it after the slightly alkali shampoo bar.

From what I've heard shampoo bars work better if your hair is fine. For thick hair conditioner-only washing seems like a good idea.

Anyone else have any advice?

edit: Just read the article. Impressive, but I don't think I could do it.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ng-though.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You might find naturallycurly.com quite helpful. A lot of the members on there follow the "cg method" which calls for not using shampoo. I use shampoo but sometimes I use Shikakai powder mixed with Amla powder (£1.18 each in my local Asda) and use that to clean my hair. I think it works quite well and leaves me with less frizz. So that might be something worth researching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocip)
    You might find naturallycurly.com quite helpful. A lot of the members on there follow the "cg method" which calls for not using shampoo. I use shampoo but sometimes I use Shikakai powder mixed with Amla powder (£1.18 each in my local Asda) and use that to clean my hair. I think it works quite well and leaves me with less frizz. So that might be something worth researching.
    That looks like a really good idea!
    I guess it's similar to people washing their hair with baking soda but you don't have to worry about the alkaliness of it.

I always wonder what the asian looking hair powders in the supermarket are for but I've never been brave enough to try one. I might give it a go, they seem a lot more cheaper and gentler than buying branded shampoo all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    That looks like a really good idea!
    I guess it's similar to people washing their hair with baking soda but you don't have to worry about the alkaliness of it.

I always wonder what the asian looking hair powders in the supermarket are for but I've never been brave enough to try one. I might give it a go, they seem a lot more cheaper and gentler than buying branded shampoo all the time
    I'd definitely recommend it! Shikakai powder is VERY cleansing that's why I add the Amla to tone it down sllightly. You could also try sulfate free shampoo, since that's the ingredient in shampoo most people have an issue with. They're supposed to be less drying/harsh to the hair. I've never tried it myself though.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, that article started my search! OK going two weeks without even washing her hair with water was disgusting!! Clearly 'cleaning' hair with just dry shampoo and not even water and bicarb was going to cause a horrid smell!! Ew.

@Chocip I'll have a look, but there are no local supermarkets near where I live (central Preston haha no car!) so I will try it next time I get to a supermarket! Thanks awesome suggestion x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocip)
    I'd definitely recommend it! Shikakai powder is VERY cleansing that's why I add the Amla to tone it down sllightly. You could also try sulfate free shampoo, since that's the ingredient in shampoo most people have an issue with. They're supposed to be less drying/harsh to the hair. I've never tried it myself though.
    I've never tried sulphate-free shampoo either because the ones I've seen were really expensive. I ordered a sulphate-free shampoo bar online though and the ingredients sound amazing:

INGREDIENTS: Aqua(water), cocos nucifera (coconut oil), oryza sativa (rice bran oil),olea europaea (olive oil), theobroma cacao (cocoa butter), ricinuscommunis (castor oil), rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary extract),persea gratissima (avocado oil), cannabis sativa (hemp seed oil),mentha piperita (peppermint essential oil)

Ill let you guys know how it works

ReputationRep:
    As this article said it works but the problem is always the smell as I mentioned in my previous post.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it where instead of using a shampoo I've used a very light,gentle ingredient type conditioner and just used the same scrubbing motion that you would do if you were using shampoo. Apparently the scrubbing motion helps to loosen up the dirt/oiliness in your hair a lot so you can still wash it out without all the harsh chemicals in a shampoo.
    I've tried some sulphate free shampoos as well and they feel a lot more gentle on your hair/scalp.
    I found that with both ways it made my hair feel a bit softer and less frizzy, and it improved my curls a little. You don't get that same squeaky clean feeling as when you wash your hair with shampoo but it still gets it clean. I've gone back to using normal sulphate shampoo now as it just seems quicker and makes my scalp/hair feel fresher, especially as I exercise a lot and get sweaty hair (eww ), but I would definitely try it again.

Also, I've read in the past that sometimes it can take your hair/scalp a couple of weeks to fully adjust to no shampoo, and in that time it might look a bit limp and oily, so if you are worried about this then maybe try it out at a time when you don't have a lot of important engagements!

ReputationRep:
    I've never tried sulphate-free shampoo either because the ones I've seen were really expensive. I ordered a sulphate-free shampoo bar online though and the ingredients sound amazing:

INGREDIENTS: Aqua(water), cocos nucifera (coconut oil), oryza sativa (rice bran oil),olea europaea (olive oil), theobroma cacao (cocoa butter), ricinuscommunis (castor oil), rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary extract),persea gratissima (avocado oil), cannabis sativa (hemp seed oil),mentha piperita (peppermint essential oil)

Ill let you guys know how it works
    Yeah, you'll definitely have to post back on here and let me know if it works do you have a link for it? I might give it a go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshPetite)
    Yeah, you'll definitely have to post back on here and let me know if it works do you have a link for it? I might give it a go
    I got it from etsy but I found they're website: http://actuallynaturally.co.uk/

I'll report back soon

ReputationRep:
    Just used it for the first time, so far so good.
    I got the peppermint one and it smells just like peppermint tea! It was also surprisingly foamy.

My hair is pretty big and curly compared to normal which is what I wanted, it also looks a lot thicker. I was worried that my hair wouldn't feel clean but it definitely does, it's sort of soft and fluffy.
    Your hair is meant to get even softer over time as the plastics etc from normal shampoo and conditioners get washed away.

I think I might convert completely to handmade shampoo and soap!
    I like the idea that someone's lovingly made it and I think they deserve the money they get from it.

ReputationRep:
    There's also the 'britishcurlies' forum and they're pretty helpful!

I do use a shampoo, but I've been using ones that contain no SLS for a while now. I can really tell the difference when I use a normal shampoo. Sometimes I will just use conditioner though, and my conditioners are sulphate/paraben free. Normal shampoos make my hair feel horrible!

ReputationRep:
    Just used it for the first time, so far so good.
    I got the peppermint one and it smells just like peppermint tea! It was also surprisingly foamy.

My hair is pretty big and curly compared to normal which is what I wanted, it also looks a lot thicker. I was worried that my hair wouldn't feel clean but it definitely does, it's sort of soft and fluffy.
    Your hair is meant to get even softer over time as the plastics etc from normal shampoo and conditioners get washed away.

I think I might convert completely to handmade shampoo and soap!
    I like the idea that someone's lovingly made it and I think they deserve the money they get from it.
    I'm just about to order the rosemary and tea tree one - it sounds nice my flatmate just suggested the Lush ones - do you know if they are any good?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to order the rosemary and tea tree one - it sounds nice my flatmate just suggested the Lush ones - do you know if they are any good?
    I've never tried them before, lush looks like a bit of a scary shop! I've actually never bought anything from there, is it good?
    I heard the shampoo bars have sulphates in them but I think they're changing them to take it out.

ReputationRep:
    Lush shampoos do have the same ingredients as normal shampoos. That's why I haven't tried them. Would be tempted to try that bar up there though!

I used naked/naked kids mainly and that's not too expensive. Same as normal shampoos. There's usually an offer on in boots too.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I've never tried it - not entirely sure how it would actually help.

ReputationRep:
    I have curly hair and have been trying to follow the CG method, but couldn't face not using shampoo so I use sulphate free shampoo and silicone free conditioner. I wanted to try it for ages but it all seemed so expensive. Then I found the Naked shampoos on offer in Boots, and I love them! My hair is the best it's ever been. I ran out recently and had to use normal shampoo for a bit and it was horrible- my hair went frizzy and dry again. I don't know about using no shampoo but sulphate free is fab!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.