Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm potentially attending either International Relations Msc in Edinburgh, or International Political Theory MLitt in St. Andrews.

I know the differences as far as the degrees themselves go, but what differences do they pose in terms of career prospects, and also concerning further studies? Is IR the more practical one, whereas IPT leads one into more academic training? Seeing as I have absolutely no clue, I'd be interested to hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyratheon)
    I'm potentially attending either International Relations Msc in Edinburgh, or International Political Theory MLitt in St. Andrews.

I know the differences as far as the degrees themselves go, but what differences do they pose in terms of career prospects, and also concerning further studies? Is IR the more practical one, whereas IPT leads one into more academic training? Seeing as I have absolutely no clue, I'd be interested to hear.
    Hi there,

Well career prospects-wise I'd say that IPT is definitely more academia-oriented. The MSc in IR can absolutely set you on the right course for a career in academia if you so choose, so it isn't that one is academia-oriented and one isn't. But it would be harder (all other potential factors aside) to get a job in an NGO, or government, or anything like that with the IPT MLitt than the IR MSc - I did the IPT MLitt, by the way, and am now doing a PhD, so if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasha1986)
    Hi there,

Well career prospects-wise I'd say that IPT is definitely more academia-oriented. The MSc in IR can absolutely set you on the right course for a career in academia if you so choose, so it isn't that one is academia-oriented and one isn't. But it would be harder (all other potential factors aside) to get a job in an NGO, or government, or anything like that with the IPT MLitt than the IR MSc - I did the IPT MLitt, by the way, and am now doing a PhD, so if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them
    So, the IPT is a bit more normative, or philosophical, in a sense, than a degree in IR? How did you find it, and did you come from a similar course at undergraduate level?

I'm actually changing course at MA level from a History BA, so it will be a change of pace at any rate. I'm leaning ever so slightly towards the Msc, as it, like you said, provides a more solid background for work, but also leaves an opportunity for further academic work, should I want to do so.

I think you're right about careers. The IR course is, as I understand it, new this year, however. Still, it's a great university, and a big step up from where I'm going now, so that should not matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyratheon)
    So, the IPT is a bit more normative, or philosophical, in a sense, than a degree in IR? How did you find it, and did you come from a similar course at undergraduate level?

I'm actually changing course at MA level from a History BA, so it will be a change of pace at any rate. I'm leaning ever so slightly towards the Msc, as it, like you said, provides a more solid background for work, but also leaves an opportunity for further academic work, should I want to do so.

I think you're right about careers. The IR course is, as I understand it, new this year, however. Still, it's a great university, and a big step up from where I'm going now, so that should not matter.
    I would definitely say that IPT is more normative and philosophical. As a broad approach to IR it's about engaging with political theory, political philosophy, and the history of political thought as a framework for analysing international relations. Kind of a bridge between political philosophy and International Relations. So there is much more textual analysis, philosophy, and political theory involved than in an IR degree. I did IR at undergrad, and found IPT to be a fascinating approach to take and with so many great avenues to explore that are in the wheel-house of IR but in a completely different way. I just found it much more interesting than IR theory and I still get to tackle the issues that I care about.

But it is a very different degree to the MSc in IR, so I guess it really depends what you want to study, and what you want to do afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your comments, they were very helpful! Decided to go with Msc in IR! Thought I could always change approach during PhD, if I choose to do so!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.