Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will Marijuana legalisation be the next gay marriage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Seeing that marriage equality is looking to be a fait accompli has me thinking about what the next great civil rights struggle will be.

An interesting development from across the Atlantic; for the first time in a national Pew Poll, a majority of Americans support legalising marijuana.

To me, that and marriage equality seem entirely consistent with the position that in 2013 people want the government to get the hell out of our bedrooms and living rooms, and stop getting in the way of people engaging in something that harms no other and may benefit the person doing it.

The people of 2013 are far better educated and connected than they've ever been before; we don't need a benevolent big brother to make decisions about our sex lives, about our marriage status and about what we choose to put in our body to change our consciousness.

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed!

With marijuana being legalised in both Colorado and California hopefully the UK will get on board and realise we can make our own decisions!

ReputationRep:
    If by that you mean it will also continue to be illegal thing...then yes, I hope so.

ReputationRep:
    So many variables, though.

Just weed? All drugs? All soft drugs? Reclassification of controlled substances (because there is no logical reason for magic mushrooms being punishable more harshly than ketamine).

Legalisation or decriminalisation? I'd be hugely in favour of decriminalisation, but I don't fancy Tesco value mandy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    I don't fancy Tesco value mandy.
    Less so than strange bloke from down the road value mandy?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.