The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joostan
The point is that the Riemann sum converges to the integral in the limit as nn \to \infty, so the limit exists iff the integral exists.

Yes, of course. I think that things like this should be made clear, however, for the benefit of thick people like me. We have rights too, you know. I have a very good excuse for being super-dim tonight though so you'll have to let me off.
Original post by atsruser
Yes, of course. I think that things like this should be made clear, however, for the benefit of thick people like me. We have rights too, you know. I have a very good excuse for being super-dim tonight though so you'll have to let me off.

That was indeed what I intended :smile:
C'mon people, what has happened to this thread. Problem 570 from earlier requires two skills: knowing what a rectangle is, and knowing what an integer is.

Anyway, more!

Problem 577

Prove/disprove that there is a family C0,C1,C_0,C_1,\dots of disjoint subsets of the unit circle such that one can get from any member to any other through a rotation, and such that nCn\bigcup_n C_n is the unit circle.

(this however is not trivial)
Original post by Lord of the Flies
C'mon people, what has happened to this thread.

It's the exam holiday :P
The harder questions aren't gathering very much attention it seems, so here's a nice dinner-table problem!

Problem 570

If a rectangle can be subdivided into smaller rectangles, each having at least one side of integer length, must the initial rectangle also have at least one side of integer length?

I retract my answer, having been shown that it's nonsense :frown:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Smaug123

Interesting approach :biggrin:

An alternative is the following:

Eliminate superfluous rectangles. Now colour in blue those with horizontal integer length and in red those with vertical integer length. Define a blue path as a chain of blue rectangles where the left edge of the next rectangle is aligned with right edge of the current one. Sim. for vertical path with top/bottom edges. If there is no blue path connecting the left & right sides of the big rectangle there must be a red path connecting the top & bottom.
(edited 8 years ago)
Interesting approach :biggrin:

An alternative is the following:

Eliminate superfluous rectangles. Now colour in blue those with horizontal integer length and in red those with vertical integer length. Define a path as a chain of adjacent rectangles of the same colour. If there is no red path connecting the top & bottom sides, there must be a blue path connecting the left & right sides, and vice versa.

Ugh, you disgusting combinatorialist. I gave the logician's answer :P
C'mon people, what has happened to this thread. Problem 570 from earlier requires two skills: knowing what a rectangle is, and knowing what an integer is.

Anyway, more!

Problem 577

Prove/disprove that there is a family C0,C1,C_0,C_1,\dots of disjoint subsets of the unit circle such that one can get from any member to any other through a rotation, and such that nCn\bigcup_n C_n is the unit circle.

(this however is not trivial)

Assuming I am reading this correctly, this question feels like the same construction regarding the existence of a set which is not Lebesgue measurable.

Spoiler

Also, could you expand upon your solution to 570? I am not seeing why a chain of a single colour solves the problem.
Problem 578
Show that a graph is bipartite if and only if it contains no odd cycles.
A very nice problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Problem 578
A very nice problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I wonder where you got that from :smile:
Original post by Renzhi10122
Hmm, I wonder where you got that from :smile:

Haha i actually like graph theory alot even though its combinatorics
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
Problem 578
A very nice problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Proof:

    \displaystyle \implies : Suppose G is bipartite then there is two independent vertex sets A and B.

Now any edge in a walk in G must go from A to B (or B to A) hence for any cycle we will take an even number of steps so there can be no odd cycles in G.

    \displaystyle \impliedby : Let G be a graph with no odd cycles WLOG we may assume G is connected (since if G is not connected we can show that each connected part of G is bipartite and then the union of each part is also bipartite).

Pick a vertex uV\displaystyle u \in V . Define A={u}{v:d(u,v)=2m,mN}\displaystyle A=\{u\} \cup \{v : d(u,v)=2m, m\in \mathbb{N}\} and
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle B=V\A

We claim that V=AB\displaystyle V=A \cup B and hence we have that G is in fact bipartite.

WLOG suppose there exists an edge {va}\displaystyle \{va\} so that v,aA\displaystyle v,a \in A (of course we could suppose that they both are in B). Then d(u,a), d(u,v)\displaystyle d(u,a),~d(u,v) are both even. d(a,b)\displaystyle d(a,b) is the shortest path length between the two vertices.

Consider the shortest path from u to a: Pua\displaystyle P_{ua} and similarly Puv\displaystyle P_{uv} then consider the cycle Pua,{av},Pvu\displaystyle P_{ua}, \{av\}, P_{vu} which has length d(u,a)+d(v,u)+1\displaystyle d(u,a)+d(v,u)+1 which is odd therefore we have a contradiction and no such edge may exist.

Hence G is bipartite.    \displaystyle ~~~\square

Problem 579: Let G\displaystyle G be a graph with at least one edge show that G\displaystyle G has at least (χ(G)2)\displaystyle \chi (G) \choose 2 edges.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
Assuming I am reading this correctly, this question feels like the same construction regarding the existence of a set which is not Lebesgue measurable.

Yep bang on.

Also, could you expand upon your solution to 570? I am not seeing why a chain of a single colour solves the problem.

Bad use of the word adjacent, should be clearer now.
Original post by DJMayes

Spoiler

This is the construction of the Vitali sets, isn't it? Or is there some difference?
Original post by Smaug123
That was indeed what I intended :smile:

I'm not sure what "that" is referring to here, but in a feeble attempt to add something of mathematical utility to this reply, I'll point out that I posted an easier problem of this type here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62174581&postcount=46 (still with no solution, so the glory and adulation that comes with solving a genuine Atsruser Problem (accept no substitutes) is still up for grabs)
Yep bang on.

Bad use of the word adjacent, should be clearer now.

Yep, it's much clearer now, thanks!

Original post by atsruser
This is the construction of the Vitali sets, isn't it? Or is there some difference?

I believe so based on a quick Google - I didn't use the name because I hadn't heard it before.
Probably a well known one but quite nice :smile:

Problem 580
Prove that the product of four consecutive integers cannot equal the product of two consecutive integers (Referring to Z+ \mathbb{Z^{+}} only).
Original post by EnglishMuon

Problem 580
Prove that the product of four consecutive integers cannot equal the product of two consecutive integers (Referring to Z+ \mathbb{Z^{+}} only).

Someone's been doing some BMO1 :smile:
Problem 581*

You select a real number entirely at random from the interval [0,2π][0, 2\pi]. What is the probability that sinx+cosx\sin x + \cos x is greater than 1 in magnitude?

Disclaimer: I made this up myself. I think my logic is correct, but my probability is **** so if this is an impossible question (or significantly harder than the * I gave it) then my apologies.
Original post by EnglishMuon

Problem 580

Solution 580:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest